Quantcast
OSX Upgrade Time... Most Stable OS 10.8/ PTHD combination? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OSX Upgrade Time... Most Stable OS 10.8/ PTHD combination?
Old 4th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OSX Upgrade Time... Most Stable OS 10.8/ PTHD combination?

I am currently running a Mac Pro 3,1 2.8ghz 8 Core on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and Pro Tools HD 10.3.5 with an HD2 rig and 2 UAD Octo Cards.

It is rock solid but as much as I have enjoyed it, I plan on upgrading my OS pretty soon and I have no idea which version of OS10.8 works the best with which PT10HD version and my hardware. I've looked up the compatibility charts but there are different options available to me based on which versions of the OS and PTHD I choose.

So I guess my question, who has a similar system to mine that is running solid and what is your OS/PTHD version? Also, If any combos have any known problems I should know about, that info would also be helpful.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From research I've done it seems like PT 10.3.5 runs best with OS 10.8.3. But maybe PT 10.3.3 with OS 10.8.2 is more stable.

Can anyone confirm there experience with this?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bump!
im in the same boat
Old 5th March 2014
LEX
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Mac Pro 2.4 12 core, Apollo 8 quad, Satelitte quad, OCTO card.
32 gigs ram

Pro tools 10.3.7 on osx 10.8.4. Running 48k and 88.2. No issues

Lex
Old 10th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I upgraded to OS 10.8.5 and it was painless and runs great with PT 10.3.5. Any Snow Leopard holdouts have nothing to fear unless you have some other essential software that won't work in Snow Leopard. It took 2 days to get the Mountain Lion license from Apple, but the install and download took maybe an hour. There were some slight tweaks to me made after that, but nothing major. Very Happy!
Old 28th April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm new to the Mac OSX world. I've got an early 2011 MacBook Pro currently running Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and I'm in the same camp as those participating in this thread: I feel that the time has come to 'upgrade' to a newer version of OSX, and I plan to move to 10.8.5. In my case, I'm still in the process of installing a fairly extensive amount of software including Ableton 9.1, Omnisphere, and several soft synths. I wanted to briefly describe the approach I was planning/hoping to take and wanted to get your advice on whether this is OK.

1 - Finish installing all of my music software on 10.6.8. This way I've got a working version on what I've been told is the most stable and still viable OSX version. Outside of this software, this is essentially a 'virgin' copy of 10.6.8. There are no other applications beyond Carbon Copy Cloner that I've installed.

2 - Clone this configuration onto a new partition.

3 - Update Snow Leopard on the cloned partition directly to Mountain Lion 10.8.5.

Is this approach OK? My concerns:
(a) Is it OK to do an upgrade on top of Snow Leopard rather than creating a virgin installation of Mountain Lion and having to go through the huge hassle of re-installing all of this software?

(b) Most of the music software that I've got is copy protected (not bootleg!). If I clone Snow Leopard, update the cloned copy to Mountain Lion in place, will I be able to switch back and forth between the original Snow Leopard configuration on one partition and the cloned/updated configuration on the other? Or do these copy protected programs literally restrict me to running one copy on a specific partition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in Jersey
Old 28th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmarano ➑️
(a) Is it OK to do an upgrade on top of Snow Leopard rather than creating a virgin installation of Mountain Lion and having to go through the huge hassle of re-installing all of this software?

(b) Most of the music software that I've got is copy protected (not bootleg!). If I clone Snow Leopard, update the cloned copy to Mountain Lion in place, will I be able to switch back and forth between the original Snow Leopard configuration on one partition and the cloned/updated configuration on the other? Or do these copy protected programs literally restrict me to running one copy on a specific partition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in Jersey
As to (a), considering you're working with a fresh install of Snow Leopard, a straight upgrade is going to be fine. The only pain spot may be drivers for your peripherals. If you already upgraded those to the latest version compatible with 10.8, chances are pretty high it will work without any further action. Worst case scenario you'll have to reinstall those drivers.

To (b) there is no easy answer. It depends on what mechanism the copy protection uses to authorize your machine. In many cases, a unique serial number will be taken off some hardware component; the MAC address of the network card, or the CPUID, etc. These will be fine regardless of what drive you boot off. But I can't guarantee you that there aren't copy protection mechanisms out there that take into account the idenitity of the boot drive. It's a bit esoteric but not impossible. I'd say you shouldn't worry about it too much. Worst case, if it turns out you have a plugin/program that wants to perpetually reauthorize when you switch, you can still decide to abandon your dual boot plans.
Old 28th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I upgraded on top of Snow Leopard. Took an hour total. No hiccups, no problems. Didn't clone or backup anything. Couldn't have been easier.
Old 28th April 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks to all for the quick and helpful responses.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, as this sounds like a relatively
quick and easy way to have the best of both worlds.
But that could be famous last words (grin)...

If you want I can post a message on the outcome.
Old 29th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Should be a slam dunk! Take the plunge and let us know.
πŸ“ Reply