Quantcast
MP3 Surround - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MP3 Surround
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
MP3 Surround

Now I appreciate that I am in a minority, but I do a lot of mixing of my own tracks in 5.1 surround as well as stereo. I recently wondered whether there was an MP3 surround format and after a bit of googling found there was.

In Cubase 7.5, I took a 5.1 surround mix and did an audio export to MP3, unchecking the L/R channel checkbox before I did so.

I downloaded the Fraunhofer MP3 Surround player. I loaded the MP3 file I created into the player and I was amazed to discover that Cubase had indeed created an MP3 Surround File which played back in 5.1 faultlessly. Not wav quality admittedly but still pretty good for the file size.

My question is, apart from this Fraunhofer player, is there any other audio file player that plays these MP3 Surround files correctly ie in 5.1 and not just in stereo?

I use the VLC media player and that does not.
📝 Reply