Quantcast
What to put on the SSD and what to put on the HHD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to put on the SSD and what to put on the HHD
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
What to put on the SSD and what to put on the HHD

i am going to but a new mac mini or imac soon and i am having trouble trying to figure out what drives to get.

i am running logic and ableton
i use a ton of VIs(omnisphere, komplete 9), samples ect.
i record only record audio up to 2 tracks at a time
i have outboard gear that i route tracks in and out of

so my question is how do i divide everything up between drives?
can i just put osx and logic+ableton on the ssd and everything else on the hhd,
or should i just get 2 ssd?

any help is appreciated. thank you
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How big is the SSD and how big is the HD?
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➑️
How big is the SSD and how big is the HD?
i think the ssd is going to be 256gb. and the hhd is 1TB

but if i get the mini i have the option toe get 2 256gb ssds, but i dont know if the will be enough space omnisphere and komlpete 9 are pushing 150gb alone.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Omnisphere and Kontakt loading from SSDs is nice.

If you can afford it, I'd go w/ the 2 SSDs. OS system, plugins, everything else on SSD 1. Omnisphere and K9 on SSD 2.

SSDs start to slow down when they are too full. But if you're putting about 150GB on a 256GB, you should be okay. The real question is... are you going to be buying more large sample libraries beyond Omnisphere and K9 in the future? For example... do you plan to add things like Trilian or large Kontakt 3rd party libraries? If so.. the 1TB HD may make more sense for future. However.. if you're going to be content w/ that current setup for a long while.. then 2 SSDs sounds like a good idea. You could also consider grabbing an external at a later date if you have any free USB or firewire ports. Also.... you could consider grabbing 1 SSD + 1TB HD now, then grabbing a separate 512GB SSD at a later date, then pulling the 1TB HD out and placing it in a harddrive enclosure so you'd end up with 3 drives.

Kind of depends on what direction you want to go down the road. I think it's important to think about future potential upgrades w/ stuff like this... b/c if you're anything like me then you don't remain content for more than 1-2 years hahaha
Old 3rd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➑️
Omnisphere and Kontakt loading from SSDs is nice.

If you can afford it, I'd go w/ the 2 SSDs. OS system, plugins, everything else on SSD 1. Omnisphere and K9 on SSD 2.

SSDs start to slow down when they are too full. But if you're putting about 150GB on a 256GB, you should be okay. The real question is... are you going to be buying more large sample libraries beyond Omnisphere and K9 in the future? For example... do you plan to add things like Trilian or large Kontakt 3rd party libraries? If so.. the 1TB HD may make more sense for future. However.. if you're going to be content w/ that current setup for a long while.. then 2 SSDs sounds like a good idea. You could also consider grabbing an external at a later date if you have any free USB or firewire ports. Also.... you could consider grabbing 1 SSD + 1TB HD now, then grabbing a separate 512GB SSD at a later date, then pulling the 1TB HD out and placing it in a harddrive enclosure so you'd end up with 3 drives.

Kind of depends on what direction you want to go down the road. I think it's important to think about future potential upgrades w/ stuff like this... b/c if you're anything like me then you don't remain content for more than 1-2 years hahaha

i am exactly like you lol. i do have a large sample library. so what do you think about this:

Mac mini Server i7 with 2 256gb ssds
-ableton, logic, and OS on the first
-Komplete, omnisphere and other plugs/Vi's on the other
-1tb external for projects and samples

i think that might work out for the best.
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'd put the project folder on the OS drive. I'm not big on running that through USB externals. I know people do it now all the time now and technology has progressed, but I had some issues w/ that on inferior systems 8-10 years ago, made me want to only run it through internal drives (linked w/ SATA protocol). I'm sure it'll work fine now but... I dunno, I shy away from it if I can.

Other than that looks good to me. Multiple drives is a reason I really like a good tower computer but, I understand people love their laptops!
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
thanks for the help guys.
Old 3rd March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
well hold on wait a second... i have been researching and there are a good amount of people buying the mini with the best processor. and the upgrading the drive and ram themselves..looks cheaper and i can get up to a 1tb SSD from Samsung. so i can have that and a 256sd for the OS, ableton and logic, and just use the 1tb HHD that it comes with as an external with a hard drive inclosure...brilliant!
πŸ“ Reply