Quantcast
USB3 + hubs.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
USB3 + hubs..
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
USB3 + hubs..

Still haven't found clear answers on this: USB3.0 or Thunderbolt for audio? I'm asking about latency, not bandwidth. And, if USB3 does work well, can you use a usb3 hub or does that slow things down?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Other than the new UA interface, is there a real thunderbolt interface? I use my Orion32 via USB3 into my nMP and find it has minimal latency. I wouldn't plug the Orion into the hub. Why would you do that?
Old 4th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➑️
Other than the new UA interface, is there a real thunderbolt interface? I use my Orion32 via USB3 into my nMP and find it has minimal latency. I wouldn't plug the Orion into the hub. Why would you do that?
Sorry I didnt specify - I mean for external HD's.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really need to figure this out... my new Mac Pro came in today.
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have my session drives connected via thunderbolt. I'm sure you could use USB3 and it would be fine. I have a nMP 6 core as well. I use a hub for my keyboard, trackball, iLok, thumb drive, and iPod connections.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
My understanding is that all four USB3 ports on the new Mac Pro share a single 500 Mbyte/sec processor interface, so, if you try to stream data from multiple disks simultaneously, you may not get the maximum throughput from each.
Old 6th March 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Latency is not an issue for HDDs when it comes to the protocol. That is what buffers are for.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…