Install Spectrasonics Omnisphere - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Install Spectrasonics Omnisphere
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Install Spectrasonics Omnisphere

Hi all,

I recently bought Omnisphere and I do have a little doubt about the installation.

I do have an internal 256GB SSD, and an external 1TB HDD. Since Omnisphere libraries occupy at least 40/42 GB, is it possible to install the plugin on the SSD and the libraries on the HDD?

If so, how?

Or would you go for the whole pack ( omnisphere + libraries) on the SSD?

Does it make any difference to have the sound samples on SSD or HDD? Why?

Thanks very much Slutz!!
Old 3rd March 2014
Deleted User
I am just about to make the same install, and I'd be interested in opinions as well. I still need to install the 256 GB SSD to my laptop. But, I am wondering if I should go out and buy a larger capacity SSD to hold the OS, Apps, and samples. I'm limited to USB2 or firewire for externals because this is an older Macbook Pro. Can all of this work well from a single internal SSD?
Old 3rd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can split the install so that the samples go on the external. I've got the feeling later versions of the installer let you pick where it goes but it's been a while since doing it personally.

If you want to move the samples to an external after a regular install, look here:Omnisphere Support - Time+Space | Virtual Instruments, VST Plugins, Sample Libraries, Sample CDs, Downloads, Tutorial DVDs, Hardware and Software

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a video about this on the Spectra site as well.
📝 Reply