Quantcast
mac with no external soundcard - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mac with no external soundcard
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
mac with no external soundcard

Last summer I attended a music for film workshop and I saw a lot of mac (mbp) users having no external soundcard but working with big libraries (ew, vsl, ...).
What about latency? I didn't realize this question in time so I hope there's someone who can answer me...

Thanx,

arfo
Old 1st March 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
It was a workshop, so no dragging around more than required. In the studio, most composers use a low latency interface and probably 1 or more workstations.
Old 1st March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
That's for sure :-)
But We had to write for orchestra and so I was asking if you can write a song, let' say, in sibelius, using a lot of virtual instruments and hear the work without any problem...
For studio works I have a MOTU828mkII....
Thanx,

arfo
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When the handling of the DAW and sample libraries happen in the box via CPU and RAM what would an external interface do to benefit performance? Unless the interface had it's own DSP available which most do not. Just curious?
Old 1st March 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
The driver and the architecture.
There is quite a difference between drivers, and this tells how many plugins you can load at a given buffer size. The lower the buffer siz, the lower the latency, the more important the difference between the interfaces.

Also, buffer size is not everything. Most interfaces have a higher latency than just the buffer size, especially USB and FireWire interfaces. Also the converter architecture plays a role.

Look here for a comparison of most interfaces.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I understand interface/driver differences but isn't he asking about using no interface?
Old 2nd March 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
Well, the built-in chip is a soundcard as well, and also requires drivers.
Old 2nd March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was asking if it's possible to listen (and compose) using midi with virtual instruments, in a massive way, even if you don'have an external sound card.
What about latency with the built-in chip?

arfo
Old 2nd March 2014
Are you playing a midi keyboard or anything like that? If not then I would think audio quality is more of an issue than latency
Old 2nd March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't know this applies to your case, but the use of onboard sound may not be a good idea, if you use MIDI controller and play virtual instruments. 15-20ms latency is not acceptable for most people. Apple might have fixed though.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...ird-issue.html
Old 5th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you everybody: I simply was amazed to see so many people working with big projects (midi keyboard and sw like sibelius, finale and various daws) and no external souncards...
That's not my first choice but I couldn't do the same with my current laptop pc and, let's say, asio4all drivers...

arfo
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…