Quantcast
More than one SSD for music production Mac mini? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
More than one SSD for music production Mac mini?
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
More than one SSD for music production Mac mini?

Do I need more than one SSD for music production on Mac mini 2014?

I do not record any external audio, just using my software synths Omnisphere, Zebra 2, Komplete 9, Battery 3 and more in Logic pro 8.

Right now I am using an old iMac late 2006 with just the stock 160GB 7200rpm HDD.
It has worked really nice for me all this years up to now, but it is running really slooooowww now!

I am going to buy a Mac mini 2,6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 and install a SSD and add 16GB RAM.

Do I need two SSD:s? or is one enough? I can understand the benefit with two if you record audio but I do not do that.

1:One 512GB SSD for all?

2:One 120GB for OS X and programs and one 256GB for sample library?

Samsung 840 EVO, Sandisk Extreeme II, OCZ Vertex 460? wich one works best for OS X Mavericks?

Do you need Trim for SSD? read some articles about that you do need trim and some say you donยดt need trim????????

Now with Garbage Collector is Trim really necessary?

I have an external USB 2.0 HDD for backup.

Appreciate all help i can get!

Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I would go with option 2 (2 SSDs), since I like to keep things separate (OS and apps on one drive, VIs, samples, etc. on another), so that future drive failure, backups etc. are easier to deal with.

The benefit of multiple drives is not only for those that record external audio... any VI that uses samples will benefit greatly from being on an SSD that's not the boot drive, since it'll allow Logic and the OS to do what they need to do without having to constantly deal with whatever sample data, etc. is being used by your VIs.

Of the VIs you list, Omnisphere loads a lot of samples that are used in the patches, so your user experience will be smoother if you allow Logic to be on one drive, and your VIs on another. Omni load times will be MUCH faster.

Stay away from OCZ. Samsung gets a lot of praise. I currently use OWC Mercury Electra in my Mac and Crucial M series SSD drives in my PC, I'm happy with them.

I dunno what Mavericks does in regards to TRIM (I'm still on 10.6.8), but I've been running 1st gen Intel SSDs without TRIM for years, and not had any issues with reliability.

Also, don't know if you've already seen this.. Data doubler from OWC for Mac mini:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2B/
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Thanks John Reid!

Why should I stay away from OCZ? Toshiba has one of the best NAND Flash! and Toshiba bought OCZ.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Good point about Toshiba buying OCZ. Forgot about that. Before the buyout, OCZ Vertex 2/3 SSD drives were having reliability issues.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Another optionโ€ฆ

I have the Quad i7 Mac Mini Server with dual 1TB internal drives. They are only 5400rpm though. I do mostly audio, not sample streaming.
I bought and external TB SSD drive and installed the OS onto that. The speedup in responsiveness was dramatic! My computer boots from off to login in 9 seconds.
The drive I bought is a Lacie Rugged 256MB drive. The Lacie tests consistently at 317MB/s write, and 375 MB/s read.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
madhermit! 9 seconds is crazy! Any problems with "to slow disk" in Logic with the 5400rpm drives?
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Nope. I run 32 tracks of audio frequently. The disk i/o meter in logic is maybe 20%.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Ok! those disks is faster than I expected then.
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Here is a screen shot with 25 audio tracks playing, 10 streaming sample tracks playing, plus tons O plugins.

And that is the Disk IO pretty much peaking. I was shocked at how much these drives can do. It has been suggested to me that the data density has a lot to do with it. The heads on the drives don't need to move very far to get the data, or something like it.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I guess that the 5400rpm disk is almost as fast as the older 7200rpm?
๐Ÿ“ Reply