Quantcast
C24 playback cursor control - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
C24 playback cursor control
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
C24 playback cursor control

Probably more mid than high-end but I would appreciate comments from any C24 owners.

I just received a new C24 and am finding it very solid and it could make for a nice workflow. EXCEPT FOR ONE CRITICAL THING. There doesn't appear to be any way (at least on the unit I received) to position the playback cursor. The jog wheel does nothing unless it is being used for a more complex function (i.e. Scrub, shuttle, etc.). I contacted Avid tech support and the person helping wasn't familiar with using a Control surface. He checked with someone else and the official response is that you can't simply position the playback cursor. To do that they recommended using Shuttle mode where the jog wheel simply controls the speed at which you move forward or backward through a file while playing audio. They said an alternative would be to use Scrub.

I have never seen a control surface where you couldn't use the jig/shuttle wheel to position the playback cursor. That is the most basic of functions and one which you would normally use continuously throughout editing and mixing.

For any C24 users out there.... How do you position the playback cursor?

Thanks for your help.

Don
Old 4th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I actually have discovered two things.

One: This is working as designed. I find that very difficult to understand but I have talked to enough people now inside and outside of Avid to be convinced.

Two: I actually found a workaround. This isn't pretty but it works.

If you reach across with your left hand and hold the "Mark In" and "Mark Out" buttons the jog wheel behaves just like it does on virtually all other control surfaces as the default jog wheel function. The cursor moves quickly through the file. If you zoom in the speed is automatically adjusted. In fact the cursor moves at the same speed across the display regardless of zoom level. This is actually just what we would want. It takes the same amount of time to get from one edge on the screen to the other - regardless of zoom level. So when zoomed in it is moving fairly slowly through the file. This is actually harder to explain than I would have thought. Try it - you'll like it.

I really believe that the C24 design could have benefited by making this the default jog wheel function. Especially since all of the code to support it already exists in the file - or it wouldn't work when holding the "Mark In" and "Mark Out" buttons. It's kind of kludgy but when it is the function you really want it will save pressing that arrow key a gazillion times.

I truly amazes me that no one is complaining about this.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…