How exactly do RTAS plugs work in HD? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How exactly do RTAS plugs work in HD?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
How exactly do RTAS plugs work in HD?

Greetings,
I'm relatively new to PT HD. About a year now. Was on a Mix system for years and when running RTAS plugs I always knew when I'd hit the limit when I'd get CPU errors as soon as I pressed Play. Seemed straightforward. Now I'm PT HD 9 with 1 Core and 1 Accel card and a Mac Pro 2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon, 12 GB RAM. A lot of the new plugs I've been getting are RTAS only, either because they don't exist in TDM, or they are too damn expensive. I've noticed, and read in the manual, that RTAS in HD is reliant not only on DSP, but on the number of voices you have allocated in the Playback Engine. I haven't hit a CPU limit yet, just the Voice limit. I am thinking of getting a 2nd Accel card, but part of the impetus would be so I can run more RTAS plugs. If I have another Accel card, I can run sessions with a higher number of voices, which should then allow me to run more RTAS plugs, correct? Or would I hit a CPU limit before I was able to take advantage of the 2nd Accel card? For RTAS I run mainly PSP Vintage Warmer, EQs and Master Comp, Waves CLA compressors, Echo Boy, Kramer Tape / Tubes, and the new Sheps 73. Everything else is TDM.
I'm running Heat and ADC during mixing, so I think those suck up some TDM resources, too.
Thanks for any tips - Steve
📝 Reply