Quantcast
The first death rattle for Snow Leopard. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The first death rattle for Snow Leopard.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The first death rattle for Snow Leopard.

Welp, here it comes folks. This looks like the beginning of the end for Snow Leopard support. Apple has issued security patches for 10.7, 10.8, and 10.9 but not for 10.6. Not that it affects users whose systems are running and stable, but it does seem to indicate that 10.6 is fast approaching orphan status.

Ah, well…. it was fun while it lasted.

Apple retires Snow Leopard from support, leaves 1 in 5 Macs vulnerable to attacks - Computerworld
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
i was sad to let 10.6.8 go...no doubt it was the most stable system i've ever run.
Old 27th February 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Yes, stable, logical, versatile (Rosetta) and good looking, too.

Right now, I'm on a 2006-7 MBP, and the highest OS it can run is Lion... Apple's Vista. What possible incentive could I have for "upgrading"?

If there really was a significant, Snow Leopard-specific security problem, I'm pretty sure it would force Apple to release a patch. Not doing so would risk receiving massive bad press.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Yes, stable, logical, versatile (Rosetta) and good looking, too.

Right now, I'm on a 2006-7 MBP, and the highest OS it can run is Lion... Apple's Vista. What possible incentive could I have for "upgrading"?

If there really was a significant, Snow Leopard-specific security problem, I'm pretty sure it would force Apple to release a patch. Not doing so would risk receiving massive bad press.
I hope you're right. I am running two macs on SL and they are both too old to go past Lion, too. Starting to feel the Apple fist around my neck, squeezing to purchase more computers from them. If anything, it makes me want a Hackintosh to spite them.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➡️
If anything, it makes me want a Hackintosh to spite them.
I know the feeling!

End of last year, my beloved MP died. I thought it was the end of the world as we know it... I had dreams (nightmares..?) about Hackintoshes, I wished Apple death and pestilence...

And then I got a Mini server. Now, that's a cool little computer, let me tell you. Easily twice as fast as my old MP, and Mavericks is not to be sniffed at either.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know the feeling!

End of last year, my beloved MP died. I thought it was the end of the world as we know it... I had dreams (nightmares..?) about Hackintoshes, I wished Apple death and pestilence...

And then I got a Mini server. Now, that's a cool little computer, let me tell you. Easily twice as fast as my old MP, and Mavericks is not to be sniffed at either.
Well, that's basically my choice, either Mac Mini of some description/i7, or Hack. Only, I need PCIe slots, so the Mini quickly gets extra awkward and expensive, making a Hack tower with PCIe built in rather attractive.......
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I need PCIe slots, so the Mini quickly gets extra awkward and expensive, making a Hack tower with PCIe built in rather attractive.......
Yeah, PCIe... Like, what the new Mac Pros DON'T have...

Anyway, I only needed to accommodate one PCIe card, RME. So, I got a ridiculously expensive (and noisy, before I unplugged the internal fan) Sonnet TB chassis, which works rather well. But, I guess when you need to work with 2, 3 or more cards, things can get very expensive.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, PCIe... Like, what the new Mac Pros DON'T have...

Anyway, I only needed to accommodate one PCIe card, RME. So, I got a ridiculously expensive (and noisy, before I unplugged the internal fan) Sonnet TB chassis, which works rather well. But, I guess when you need to work with 2, 3 or more cards, things can get very expensive.
And I have a friend who is a complete computer nerd/fiend, so if I just collect the parts and bring them to him he would magically produce a working computer from them, so that is rather attractive......
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
so that is rather attractive......
Yes, rather attractive. Alas, where I live, there are no guys with those type of skills I'm aware of... I'm nowhere near London anymore, for sure. Say hello to Camden Lock for me.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, rather attractive. Alas, where I live, there are no guys with those type of skills I'm aware of... I'm nowhere near London anymore, for sure. Say hello to Camden Lock for me.
About a decade and a half too late for proximity to Camden Lock I'm afraid. I have wandered out to the leafy Richmond parts and have no wants for the filth and depression in there any more....... (90's were still good in Camden, now....i don't need London's inner belly).
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I hear you - I've never been an apple fanboy, just used their tools but their effin "iNanny" bull**** don't makes me spend money on their "iArrogance". Running 10.6.8 here, had a look at 10.7 and 10.8 - pffff...unimpressed. 6.8 does all I need the machine to do, case closed. The whole apple thing is rapidly going downhill. The name is the same, the company something alltogether different. To many coke-snorting iFools in management I suppose.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frans ➡️
I hear you - I've never been an apple fanboy, just used their tools but their effin "iNanny" bull**** don't makes me spend money on their "iArrogance". Running 10.6.8 here, had a look at 10.7 and 10.8 - pffff...unimpressed. 6.8 does all I need the machine to do, case closed. The whole apple thing is rapidly going downhill. The name is the same, the company something alltogether different. To many coke-snorting iFools in management I suppose.
Well, kind of just Steve Jobs's dream coming in really......turning massive and selling iBollocks to everything that moves. Soon they'll merge with Google and Facebook and create SkyNet. Only half joking.....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, kind of just Steve Jobs's dream coming in really......turning massive and selling iBollocks to everything that moves. Soon they'll merge with Google and Facebook and create SkyNet. Only half joking.....
Awesome !!! LMAO.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One line in the article that disturbed me Charlie was this one:
"The change was probably due to Apple's accelerated development and release schedule for OS X, which now promises annual upgrades. The shorter span between editions meant that unless Apple extended its support lifecycle, Lion would have fallen off the list about two years after its July 2011 launch."…

The first sentence being the clincher. Annual upgrades. It took me a year to venture from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and on my work machine have stayed there… But we all know how prudent it is to wait for Apogee/RME/ etc to get drivers stable on new OS's, etc, as well as plugin compatibility…. I am usually at LEAST a year behind… If they are going to march ahead with what is apparently becoming almost mandatory OSX updates, it really hurts "the non-coffee shop crown with iCloud halcyon dreams" crowd….

I am fine living without some of the new NI updates for my Komplete package, but the rest is starting to catch up… No real surprise, I didn't expect to use os8 for too long after the debut of os9, but the qualitative solidity of 10.6.8 will be hard to part with.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
this forced migration has really inspired me to build more of my workflow outside the box. more physical synths, more grooveboxes, more hardware FX...and less OS dependent plugs. i was really pissed when apogee's FW support died after 10.6.8...my ensemble became unusable in 10.8.

i'm finally solid in 10.8 ( though i lost Kontakt support for my huge EW libraries and had to move to the lame play engine). i don't care if every annual update is free...i'm not moving forward for a long long time. there's not a new plug or VI that's going to make my composing experience any better, faster, harder, stronger.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugworth ➡️
i was really pissed when apogee's FW support died after 10.6.8...my ensemble became unusable in 10.8.
This still true? I have had multiple conversations with the peeps at Apogee when thinking about updating OSX and with people on this forum, and I have read and been told that the Ensemble is working fine with ML etc… Even though they are no longer selling it….. ug i hope not... I really love my ensemble...
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I finally migrated my studio machine from 10.6.8 to 10.8.5 about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Other than installing a new driver for my Roland Fantom X7, I had zero compatibility issues.

True, the system benches a little slower, and I don't particularly like the new way of doing things, but for the most part it is business as usual.

There are a few Rosetta apps that no longer work, like Roland's Fantom Editor/Librarian, but I have a clone of my 10.6.8 system so I can always boot from that, if needed.

I made it a habit to purchase the next version of OSX just before it is discontinued. That way I could get a tested OS to replace the older one if necessary, without jumping to the latest version. I bought Lion about one month before Mountain Lion was released, and I bought Mountain Lion one month before Mavericks was released.

This has worked pretty well for me.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
<off topic>

Quote:
(90's were still good in Camden, now....i don't need London's inner belly).
Funny, I lived in London throughout the 90s, exactly. I know what you mean though... Only too well.

<end off topic>
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also lived in London for a brief period in the 90s and not too far away from Camden either. Good times
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto ➡️
This still true? I have had multiple conversations with the peeps at Apogee when thinking about updating OSX and with people on this forum, and I have read and been told that the Ensemble is working fine with ML etc… Even though they are no longer selling it….. ug i hope not... I really love my ensemble...

i cornered the apogee peeps at NAMM and had a really nice frank discussion about the ensemble's future...and basically, it has none. they said some people are having no issues with ML. that was not my experience despite updates, reinstallation and doing the start-up dance. their view is that apple is moving away from FW so therefore, so is apogee. ( apogee does not write drivers so as core audio evolves, the ensemble is locked into old core audio specs that don't mesh with 10.8 and beyond).

i would be very wary of updating beyond 10.6.8.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i cornered the apogee peeps at NAMM and had a really nice frank discussion about the ensemble's future...and basically, it has none. they said some people are having no issues with ML. that was not my experience despite updates, reinstallation and doing the start-up dance. their view is that apple is moving away from FW so therefore, so is apogee. ( apogee does not write drivers so as core audio evolves, the ensemble is locked into old core audio specs that don't mesh with 10.8 and beyond).

i would be very wary of updating beyond 10.6.8.
ug. bummer. Thanks for your insight slugworth. Was not planning on buying a new interface soon, looks like I may have to….
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mountain Lion (10.8.5) is a good substitute for Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Very solid and stable for me without all the unnecessary social media features of Mavericks (10.9).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i was sad to let 10.6.8 go...no doubt it was the most stable system i've ever run.
I feel you on that. And CANNOT abide the poster above me. STILL have a drive in my machine with 10.6.8 on it. ML(10.8) is buggy and obfuscatory. THE WORST OS SINCE OS 8.6.
Old 27th February 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I can work with halved latencies in Mavericks, when compared with Mountain Lion. For the way I use my gear, this is nothing short of sensational.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
Mountain Lion (10.8.5) is a good substitute for Snow Leopard (10.6.8). Very solid and stable for me without all the unnecessary social media features of Mavericks (10.9).
Yeah, my work machines are always offline, and other then the whiz bang social media features, what features on an os level do ML or Maverick add to a music workstation?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...other then the whiz bang social media features, what features on an os level do ML or Maverick add to a music workstation?
None. That's why the lean, efficient, stable Snow Leopard (10.6.8) was so good.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
ug. bummer. Thanks for your insight slugworth. Was not planning on buying a new interface soon, looks like I may have to….
being an optimist, maybe you will be one of the people who doesn't have an ensemble issue. i hope so.

but the apogee person made it VERY clear they had no interest in keeping the product functioning and compatible with 10.8 or beyond. considering the price and reputation of apogee gear, i'm shocked that they would choose to throw customers under the bus instead of writing drivers for their gear.

ironically, i grabbed my old dusty motu 828mkII from the closet, downloaded the drivers and it's functioned flawlessly in 10.8.

and maybe that's an important new criteria when choosing gear...how well will the manufacturer support it if apple shifts to annual OS upgrades.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
...maybe that's an important new criteria when choosing gear...how well will the manufacturer support it if apple shifts to annual OS upgrades.
That's exactly why Metric Halo interfaces are revered. Not only outstanding sound quality, software ergonomics and customer service but the quickly updated, bulletproof Firewire OSX drivers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
That's exactly why Metric Halo interfaces are revered. Not only outstanding sound quality, software ergonomics and customer service but the quickly updated, bulletproof Firewire OSX drivers.
Not 10.6.8.... It's stable for me - I have logic x and reason 7 on 10.8 but I'm so used to sl and it's just stable. I haven't heard that about 10.8
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can say that 10.9 is faster than 10.8. At least with Logic it is. It also takes more advantage of GPU and seems better with multi-core processing. As for the social stuff it's easily turned off with terminal commands. It's pretty stable here too.
📝 Reply