streaming to a mobile browser? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
streaming to a mobile browser?
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Question streaming to a mobile browser?

Hi guys,

I'm planning to have a website built that would allow people to listen to my audio files directly from it (as opposed to youtube etc).

The regular/laptop version of the website will display a skinnable player etc.

My question is: how do I stream audio (mp3) to mobile browsers? In other words, is there a relatively easy (i.e. inexpensive) way for me to enable end users visit my website on their mobile phones and listen to the mp3 on my site (streaming) directly from their mobile browsers?

Youtube does it but I noticed that every radio stations in my city, whenever I went on their website, I wasn't able to listen to their web streaming unless I download some external apps etc (i.e. looks like the radio station had an app designed for them by another company)

Any input would be much appreciated.

Mark G. S.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Why not just get a soundcloud account, and embed the soundcloud player on your website.

Features

One of the key features of SoundCloud is that it lets artists upload their music with a distinctive URL. By allowing sound files to be embedded anywhere, SoundCloud can be combined with Twitter and Facebook to let members reach their audience better. This contrasts with MySpace, which hosts music only on the MySpace site.[4]

SoundCloud distributes music using widgets and apps.[5] Users can place the widget on their own websites or blogs and then SoundCloud will automatically tweet every track uploaded.[4] SoundCloud has an API that allows other applications or smartphones to upload or download music and sound files.[4]

This API has been integrated into several applications, most notably the professional version of the PreSonus Studio One DAW.[7] The API is also integrated in music finders, including SoundYouNeed.[8] Users may also download a music with creative commons licence by this API.

SoundCloud depicts audio tracks graphically as waveforms and allows users to comment on specific parts of the track (also known as timed comments). These comments are displayed while listening to the part of the sound they are referring to. Other standard features include reposts, playlists (previously known as "sets"),[citation needed] followers, and complimentary digital downloads.[9]

SoundCloud also provides users with the ability to create and join groups that provide a common space for content to be collected and shared.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The magic word here is: HTML5 audio tag

There are plugins for Wordpress or Joomla that use Flash for Desktops and HTML5 for Smartphones. I use it on my website.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
thanks , i'll check it out
Old 2nd March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by andiw โžก๏ธ
The magic word here is: HTML5 audio tag

There are plugins for Wordpress or Joomla that use Flash for Desktops and HTML5 for Smartphones. I use it on my website.
+1 for the HTML5 Audio tag. Also, check out Soundcloud or JPlayer for cross-platform audio streaming:

jPlayer : HTML5 Audio & Video for jQuery
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…