Quantcast
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 D/A to monitor for Digi 002?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 D/A to monitor for Digi 002??
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 D/A to monitor for Digi 002??

I've done a search for this and could not find anything.

I am trying to use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40's D/A to monitor for my Digi 002 console at 96khz through SPDIF.

I use the Focusrite for tracking. I want to use the Digi 002's controls for mixing while monitoring through the Focusrite because the conversion is better.

I was doing this with a Presonus FireStudio and it worked perfectly.

I swapped the units out and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to route the Saffire Mix Control.

-I am using Pro Tools 9.
-The Digi 002 is selected as the playback engine.
-I have SPDIF L/R sent to output 9 and 10 on the I/0 Setup within Pro Tools

Within Saffire Mix Control, it shows levels in the SPIF input channels; however I beieve that these are just digital fragments because they continue to show a level even when the Pro Tools session stops playing.

Yes the Saffire is plugged in via Firewire.

It may be a problem with the playback engines not being set to the same h/w buffer size. Saffire Mix Control does not display the h/w buffer size in #s, it just displays: Short, Medium, Long, Very Long...

If somebody could please figure this out and give me advise, I would really appreciate it.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is a screenshot of how my Saffire Mix Control is currently setup:
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you know of anyone who you could foward this to who could help, I'd appreciate that too.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hi

Your screen shot is unfortunately very small but it looks like you have no sync lock. Can you be sure the Digi 002 is set as the master clock and is sending its clock via SPDIF?

I'd advise sending us an email and we'll aim to get you up and running. Contact | Focusrite

Best Regards
Old 1st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When I set the Sync Source on the Mix Control to SPDIF, I get Sync Status "No Lock" both when the Digi Clock Source is set to Internal and when it is set to SPDIF.

When I set the Sync Source on the Mix Control to Internal, Sync Status is locked, but I get pulsating static through SPDIF.
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was able to get it to work! Using SPDIF through Optical.

-I set the Mix Control to SPDIF-OPT and the settings to "Use ADAT as Optical SPDIF"

-I set the DIGI 002 within Pro Tools Hardware Setup as "Optical Format S/PDIF" and it locked.

I had the clock source set as SPDIF at first and Pro Tools would not playback for more than 15 seconds without an error message.

-I set the Clock Source to Internal and now it's rock solid!

I wonder if my RCA connections are broken??.....

Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you using regular RCA cables? Because they are not sufficient for Spidf digital. You need a cable that is specifically labeled as being digital. It looks the same, but it's a little different.

Also, once you get this working, I would suggest also using the Saffire for your input/recording as well, the same way, via digital. The preamps and conversion of the Saffire are better than the 002. Going this way, the 002 would just serve as the interface only (and control surface).
πŸ“ Reply