Quantcast
HP Z1 all in one work station, I got one. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HP Z1 all in one work station, I got one.
Old 26th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
HP Z1 all in one work station, I got one.

I recently purchased an HP Z1 work station. It has 12 GB Ram, and a good processor.
This may not be the perfect computer for music prduction but it is what I have and I want to start building my new and improved home studio.

Question: Interfaces that are firewire seem to be the best, I do not have this port. I do have an ss usb (apparently fast) is it wise to use an adapter? I am specifically looking at the Focusrite Saffire Liquide 56.
Old 26th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thai ➑️
I recently purchased an HP Z1 work station. It has 12 GB Ram, and a good processor.
This may not be the perfect computer for music prduction but it is what I have and I want to start building my new and improved home studio.

Question: Interfaces that are firewire seem to be the best, I do not have this port. I do have an ss usb (apparently fast) is it wise to use an adapter? I am specifically looking at the Focusrite Saffire Liquide 56.
I've replied to your other posting (in the Saffire 56 thread in the "So much gear..." forum) but the basic message is no, a Firewire to USB adapter probably won't work. Firewire to USB adapters aren't generally much use anyway, but they are highly unlikely to work at all with audio interfaces.

Unless you can add a PCI/PCIe Firewire card to the Z1 (I know they do have some internal expansion options, but don't know whether you can get a Firewire card in there anywhere) then your best bet will be to stick to USB interfaces. Or Thunderbolt ones (or running Firewire over Thunderbolt) if you've got the version of the Z1 that has a Thunderbolt card option.
Old 26th February 2014
Deleted User
No help or info here, but I've been interested in the Z1 for a while now. Please post your experience with this box after you've had a chance to settle in. Thanks.
Old 26th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww ➑️
I've replied to your other posting (in the Saffire 56 thread in the "So much gear..." forum) but the basic message is no, a Firewire to USB adapter probably won't work. Firewire to USB adapters aren't generally much use anyway, but they are highly unlikely to work at all with audio interfaces.

Unless you can add a PCI/PCIe Firewire card to the Z1 (I know they do have some internal expansion options, but don't know whether you can get a Firewire card in there anywhere) then your best bet will be to stick to USB interfaces. Or Thunderbolt ones (or running Firewire over Thunderbolt) if you've got the version of the Z1 that has a Thunderbolt card option.
+1 - an adapter won't work. Either go usb or get a Firewire card ( if that's possible).
Old 27th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank you for replies!

I spoke to HP support and discovered that although this computer is expandable, the firewire or thunder bolt is not an option. They also mentioned that one of my USB ports are 3.0 and faster then firewire, this leads to my next question. Which USB interface to choose? The Scarlett 18i20 seems like a good choice, as a matter of fact it seems like the only choice as far as I can tell. I do realize that it gets into personal needs and hard to answer but any suggestions on USB interfaces will be appreciated.
Old 27th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you for replies!

I spoke to HP support and discovered that although this computer is expandable, the firewire or thunder bolt is not an option. They also mentioned that one of my USB ports are 3.0 and faster then firewire, this leads to my next question. Which USB interface to choose? The Scarlett 18i20 seems like a good choice, as a matter of fact it seems like the only choice as far as I can tell. I do realize that it gets into personal needs and hard to answer but any suggestions on USB interfaces will be appreciated.
USB3 is, indeed, a lot faster than either FireWire 400 or 800, although that's probably more or less irrelevant in this case since I don't know offhand if there are any USB audio interfaces on the market that take advantage of that. Most USB interfaces are USB2 devices and that is enough for most purposes.

USB2 actually has a higher headline data rate than FireWire 400, but owing to differences in the way the two protocols operate, FireWire usually has a slight edge in terms of throughput and responsiveness. It's a close thing though nowadays, especially as manufacturers are really getting to grips with producing better USB drivers for their hardware.

Anyway, there are plenty of good USB audio interfaces on the market now. It just depends on how much IO you want, how fast/stable you want it to be and how much you want to spend. At the lower end there are things like the Focusrite Scarlett range and the Steinberg UR models. As you go higher up, you get to some of the RME stuff, which tend to have good solid hardware and the best drivers but which cost more. I think MOTU also have some USB interfaces too (though don't quote me on that - I could be mistaken). And there are probably several others that I've forgotten or haven't even heard about. Checking out the USB audio interface sections on a couple of online gear retailers websites is probably a good way to start.
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianww ➑️
USB3 is, indeed, a lot faster than either FireWire 400 or 800, although that's probably more or less irrelevant in this case since I don't know offhand if there are any USB audio interfaces on the market that take advantage of that. Most USB interfaces are USB2 devices and that is enough for most purposes.

USB2 actually has a higher headline data rate than FireWire 400, but owing to differences in the way the two protocols operate, FireWire usually has a slight edge in terms of throughput and responsiveness. It's a close thing though nowadays, especially as manufacturers are really getting to grips with producing better USB drivers for their hardware.

Anyway, there are plenty of good USB audio interfaces on the market now. It just depends on how much IO you want, how fast/stable you want it to be and how much you want to spend. At the lower end there are things like the Focusrite Scarlett range and the Steinberg UR models. As you go higher up, you get to some of the RME stuff, which tend to have good solid hardware and the best drivers but which cost more. I think MOTU also have some USB interfaces too (though don't quote me on that - I could be mistaken). And there are probably several others that I've forgotten or haven't even heard about. Checking out the USB audio interface sections on a couple of online gear retailers websites is probably a good way to start.

Why is that the highest end interfaces have little to no inputs, for example the Orion, or the MADIface XT?
Old 28th February 2014
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
The MadiFace XT has 192 digital and 2 analog inputs (with mic pres), the Orion has 32 digital and analog inputs.
What you mean is why they don't have preamps? Because they have a different purpose/customer base. Just choose another interface.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why is that the highest end interfaces have little to no inputs, for example the Orion, or the MADIface XT?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
The MadiFace XT has 192 digital and 2 analog inputs (with mic pres), the Orion has 32 digital and analog inputs.
What you mean is why they don't have preamps? Because they have a different purpose/customer base. Just choose another interface.
Yep, like DAW Plus said, the Orion and Madiface actually have HUGE numbers of inputs and outputs. There are 32 analog ins and 32 analog outs on the Orion plus MADI, ADAT and SPDIF digital I/O (if I remember rightly). No preamps though - all the analog inputs are line level, so if you want to use it with microphones, you have to add external preamps.

The MADIface meanwhile does have a couple of "normal" analog inputs (with pres) but they're almost just there for convenience. The real purpose of the MADIface is to handle large amounts of digital I/O. That's what MADI is all about.

Both of those products are designed to be part of much bigger, more complex (and more expensive!) setups involving external preamps (either with or without built-in digital I/O), additional external AD and DA converters, digital mixers/production/broadcast systems and other devices that have digital audio connections of one sort or another. They're the kind of gear that can provide some (or all) of the core converter and I/O functions in large studio setups.

Which isn't to say that some guy in his home studio can't use them too, but you've got to be aware of what you're getting with those kind of products - exactly what they are, how they work (technically and in terms of how they connect to everything else) and how much other gear you may need to add to them to get the end-to-end working system that you want.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't already get some of that from reading about those devices, then you're probably not at the point in your journey where they're going to be the right gear for you. If you just want a USB audio interface to connect to your new computer, you're probably better off looking at things like the Focusrite Scarlett range; Steingerg UR22, UR44, UR28M or UR824; MOTU Audio Express, UltraLite Mk3 Hybrid, 8 pre or 828 Mk3 Hybrid; RME FireFace UC, UCX or UFX; etc.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Scott stick with RME and it will be all good all your life !! lol

Please comment on the noise dept !!! give us a review homie ...the Z1 V2 is also coming and have touch screen + thunderbolt2.0 ....
Old 28th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Replies are very appreciated, thank you!
The Madi and Orion are certainly beyond what I need. I would spend more time and money figuring things out then making music. I have it down to the RME Fireface UFX or the MOTU 896mk3 Hybrid , I just hope a USB 3.0 line doesn't come out the day after I buy it.

If I understand correctly I could use the MOTU with a couple of power amps for band rehearsal which is interesting. I think the biggest concern for me is lag, in the past when I had a bunch of tracks in my DAW with a bunch of plug-ins things became stuttering nonsense.
Old 1st March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Scott start by psoting the DPC latency on this thing .....
Old 2nd October 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
Scott stick with RME and it will be all good all your life !! lol

Please comment on the noise dept !!! give us a review homie ...the Z1 V2 is also coming and have touch screen + thunderbolt2.0 ....

I took your advise and went with the UCX. It has treated me very well, easy to get along with. I am upgrading my computer and was hoping for some input. I have two quotes, if you have a moment I would appreciate input.

Option A:

I5 4460 3.2GHz- $285
8GB DDR3 1600MHz- $80
ASUS B85M-E/CSM S1150 MB- $115
1TB Seagate Barracuda (OS drive)- $80
1TB Seagate Barracuda (Audio drive)- $80
Norco RPC-230 Case- $140
Enermax 500W PSU- $60
2x USB3 + 2 x USB2 5.25" Bay- $25
Windows 8.1 64-bit- $130

Subtotal- $995
Tax- $119.40