The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RME Babyface vs Universal audio twin solo/duo
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
RME Babyface vs Universal audio twin solo/duo

Which of these audio interfaces will do more with any daw software? I've been told that UAD is a little bit in advance compare to other audio interfaces including the Babyface.
Prices varies from $699 to $899 for the twin and around $700 for the Babyface.So for the same price should I get the twin or Babyface.

thank you,
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How many I/O's do you want/need, do you have a Mac with thunderbolt ports or do you plan on getting one and how important is driver stability for you?
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
No! I don't have a new mac and I don't mind the I/O because I only need 2 inputs in my recording. I just want to know if that new Universal audio twin has more under the hood than the RME Babyface. I am only recording voice and acoustic guitar. I've talked to a few musical stores nearby and they all told me that the twin is superior in sound and reliability any other audio interfaces in the same range prices.
Old 31st January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivenado ➑️
Which of these audio interfaces will do more with any daw software? I've been told that UAD is a little bit in advance compare to other audio interfaces including the Babyface.
Prices varies from $699 to $899 for the twin and around $700 for the Babyface.So for the same price should I get the twin or Babyface.

thank you,
The Babyface comes with built-in EQ and verb, no compression, and you can't add any new plugins. It also has only two inputs and two outputs, unless you expand it with ADAT. On the plus side it has ADAT in and out; the Twin has only ADAT in. Also it is smaller and more portable than the Twin, and has midi, which the Twin does not. Also the Babyface is USB bus powered, I'm not sure if the Twin is or not. On the minus side the breakout cables are a PITA, but OK if you want portability.

The Twin comes with a basic assortment of compression, EQ, and verb, but you will probably want to add more, and that's where the costs will start to rise, unless you already own the plugins (say, if you already own a UAD card). Also it is thunderbolt only, I assume you know that.

I have a Babyface and an Apollo. The Babyface is for mobile use in my case - I wouldn't be happy with it as my main interface. It fits easily in my laptop bag and does not require a separate power supply, which would be a pain.

In the same price range you should look at the Audient ID22 and the SPL Crimson. I have read good reviews of both, but neither has any DSP processing at all.

Good luck.
Old 31st January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivenado ➑️
No! I don't have a new mac.
Unless your older Mac has a Thunderbolt port the UAD Twin is not currently an option for you.
Old 31st January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
You are great man. This is a comprehensive answer and I thank you a lot for this.

Bless you
Old 7th March 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I thought per the computer requirements listed on the UA site, you can use an older Mac with a Thunderbolt to Firewire converter and still use the Apollo.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Had my Babyface in a portable rig for a few months and very happy indeed.

Remember the comments about the Duo being "superior ARE just the usual marketing-speek that everyone puts out. And in this case, it is folks who are likely to be working for minimum wage or sales commission only in a music store!
Go have a listen.
And in terms of driver reliability, I would back RME against anyone. I bought the Babyface entirely on its features and most importantly for me, my experience with my prehistoric *PCI* HDSP9652 card on Win 7 and 8.
RME really do know drivers.
Took me two focusrite interfaces that failed to deliver on USB1.1 OR 2.0 with a modern computer before I finally broke down and bought the Babyface I shoud have gotten in the first place.
Old 30th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djazz ➑️
I thought per the computer requirements listed on the UA site, you can use an older Mac with a Thunderbolt to Firewire converter and still use the Apollo.
That is for the satellite, and Apollo units with FireWire, not Apollo twin.
There is no tb to FireWire conversion, nor is there even a pci tb card available.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mid 2011 imacs have thunderbolt ports...
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thunderbolt is a requirement for the Apollo Twin, the twin is not bus powered.

The main reason to buy the Twin is UAD plugs, they sound great but are not cheap.

Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Havng heard preamp shoot outs I would pick the babyface.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have not heard the twin.
I have an RME babyface and I think its probably what you need.
The selling point of the twin is
-thunderbolt
-uad plugins

I dont believe the sound quality is superior on either...they probably both sound really great.

The babyface is bus powered has adat I/o and midi. It has 2 headphone outputs as well.
The drivers are rock solid and low latency.
Great unit.
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Apollo twin here and its awesome, with 3 different mic pre choices that have their own sound. The 610 b is a vintage mic prewith tons of tube warmth. Plus yes the Uad plugins

The twin improved my quality, but its a great tool with lots of real time options
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If you want to run UAD plugs + the new software preamp technology... Apollo.
If you want lowest latency audio drivers, superior routing, and super clean I/O. Babyface.

You seriously can't make a wrong choice. I have the RME UCX (same technology as the Babyface)... I can tell you the preamps and unbelievably clean and give off no noise even at very high gain. I'm sure Apollo is equally fantastic in its own right. I have a UAD Quad card separate

BTW.. Babyface does have compression. It's part of Total Mix FX. I don't know what the previous poster is talking about.
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
AD/DA interface. Which one?
SO everybody, I'm recording Vox, Claps, piano, gtr etc. into my DAW. I compose, produce, use a lot of virtual instruments and plugs, and mix in my native DAW. Setup 32bit float/96KHz.

I need superior sound quality like the million dollar studios BUT I only have a low level budget. Fortunately technology has come a loooong way and are now presenting high quality AD/DA interfaces.

BUT, which one is the ultimate superior interface on this low level budget plan and which one, only one, can kick the ball out of the park like nobody else? I'm talking bout sound quality and trust on what you hear is correct.

You see, I have been using a Digi003fac for much to long and it has completely hold me back from advancing to the million dollar sound. Yes, I'm going for it on a low level budget.

Is it the: UA Apollo Twin, the m-audio, the RME, the SPL crime, the Audient, the DUET 2, the Zoom TAC-2 etc. Which one is my Captain America, my superman my goto friend I can rely on in every situation when tracking, mixing and bouncing? Which one has it all and are the one who will survive the others by many "decades"? Sound quality is the key. Clock, converters etc.
Old 17th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanson ➑️
AD/DA interface. Which one?
SO everybody, I'm recording Vox, Claps, piano, gtr etc. into my DAW. I compose, produce, use a lot of virtual instruments and plugs, and mix in my native DAW. Setup 32bit float/96KHz.

I need superior sound quality like the million dollar studios BUT I only have a low level budget. Fortunately technology has come a loooong way and are now presenting high quality AD/DA interfaces.

BUT, which one is the ultimate superior interface on this low level budget plan and which one, only one, can kick the ball out of the park like nobody else? I'm talking bout sound quality and trust on what you hear is correct.

You see, I have been using a Digi003fac for much to long and it has completely hold me back from advancing to the million dollar sound. Yes, I'm going for it on a low level budget.

Is it the: UA Apollo Twin, the m-audio, the RME, the SPL crime, the Audient, the DUET 2, the Zoom TAC-2 etc. Which one is my Captain America, my superman my goto friend I can rely on in every situation when tracking, mixing and bouncing? Which one has it all and are the one who will survive the others by many "decades"? Sound quality is the key. Clock, converters etc.
Your Million Dollar sound is going to come from your acoustic environment more than it does from the interface at this point. Just please keep that in mind... the interface alone isn't going to do it. You've gotta have a good room to record in and a good room to listen in (they can be the same room if it's done right). Any of those interfaces you mentioned will stand the test of time IMO (except i'm not familiar w/ reviews the Zoom). Buy for features. I doubt any of these are goin to blow the other out the water... even the maudio (i just hear it still has some driver issues that haven't been worked out. I got pops/clicks on occasion w/ an maudio fw410.. i hear the profire still has similar issues on occasion.) I also read that Apogee can give driver issues as well (some say it's fine, others do not). Purchase for the features. I always recommend RME b/c of the stability.
Old 17th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I need superior sound quality like the million dollar studios BUT I only have a low level budget.
Ocean Way Studio plugin with a Twin
Old 22nd April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➑️
Your Million Dollar sound is going to come from your acoustic environment more than it does from the interface at this point. Just please keep that in mind... the interface alone isn't going to do it. You've gotta have a good room to record in and a good room to listen in (they can be the same room if it's done right). Any of those interfaces you mentioned will stand the test of time IMO (except i'm not familiar w/ reviews the Zoom). Buy for features. I doubt any of these are goin to blow the other out the water... even the maudio (i just hear it still has some driver issues that haven't been worked out. I got pops/clicks on occasion w/ an maudio fw410.. i hear the profire still has similar issues on occasion.) I also read that Apogee can give driver issues as well (some say it's fine, others do not). Purchase for the features. I always recommend RME b/c of the stability.
Thank you CPhoenix. I know about the room acoustics and I have a great 70-80% sound dead room acoustical treated. I was just thinking about the conversation, the clock etc. Is it anywhere near the multi million Β§ sound (if of course you have a great room and great mice and a superior source) or?
Old 22nd April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➑️
Ocean Way Studio plugin with a Twin
Definetly going to check this one out Read the review by Soundonsound and it sounds promising.

Thx a lot!
Old 23rd April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Definetly going to check this one out Read the review by Soundonsound and it sounds promising.

Thx a lot!
If you realize the strength of Uad plugins go Twin! If you believe there are native equivalents go RME. I went Twin because I refuse to mix without Uad plugins, but I already owned 65% of their plugins so there's no turning back for me.

The converters are gorgeous sounding, they do sound different depending on what pre you us. The unison tech allow you to use 3 different pre with near zero latency, they have 3 different flavors too. You can still use a hardware pre if you want. Plus print the effect chain going in is actually working better than I thought!

I gently use the 1176 on vox going in, which I no longer need when mixing. I just use and La2a if I need more compression.
Old 24th April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz ➑️

I gently use the 1176 on vox going in, which I no longer need when mixing. I just use and La2a if I need more compression.
The 1176 and LA2A as hardware or UA software?
Old 24th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pete Thorn has started a video series demonstrating how he creates guitar tones with UAD plug-ins on the Apollo Twin using the Apollo Console, Unison mode and the real time UAD processing. He creates a new song using the Apollo/UAD plug-ins for all of the guitar tracks (rhythm gtr, lead gtr & bass). Pretty good stuff and the process is the same whether using the Hi-Z inputs or the mic inputs for creating your instrument/vocal tracks. He starts by using the UA610B in the preamp slot and starts layering the plug-ins from there to create the sound & vibe he is after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=G3_HujiPlkw

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The 1176 and LA2A as hardware or UA software?
Sorry about that, I use the UA software plugin. I've rented several studio hours comparing to various 1176 models and Uad is so close that I'm totally using their plugins.

What softubes have done with the NI 1176 and La2a are very impressive. So the NI version is my go to native version when I need more than the Uad card can offer.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck ➑️
Pete Thorn has started a video series demonstrating how he creates guitar tones with UAD plug-ins on the Apollo Twin using the Apollo Console, Unison mode and the real time UAD processing. He creates a new song using the Apollo/UAD plug-ins for all of the guitar tracks (rhythm gtr, lead gtr & bass). Pretty good stuff and the process is the same whether using the Hi-Z inputs or the mic inputs for creating your instrument/vocal tracks. He starts by using the UA610B in the preamp slot and starts layering the plug-ins from there to create the sound & vibe he is after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=G3_HujiPlkw

Cheers,

Billy Buck
thanks for this Mr Buck! I'm sold on my Twin, the converters are transparent enough to allow different preamps to sound unique. Fantastic value...
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
RME babyface all the way. No one on the market cant compete with RMEs drivers, low latency and stability. Preamps on RME are ultra clean. Only plus for UA is that they offer dsp with their interface, but I dont need it since I got great plug-ins in native world.
Old 26th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jweisbin ➑️
The Babyface comes with built-in EQ and verb, no compression, and you can't add any new plugins. It also has only two inputs and two outputs, unless you expand it with ADAT. On the plus side it has ADAT in and out; the Twin has only ADAT in. Also it is smaller and more portable than the Twin, and has midi, which the Twin does not. Also the Babyface is USB bus powered, I'm not sure if the Twin is or not. On the minus side the breakout cables are a PITA, but OK if you want portability.

The Twin comes with a basic assortment of compression, EQ, and verb, but you will probably want to add more, and that's where the costs will start to rise, unless you already own the plugins (say, if you already own a UAD card). Also it is thunderbolt only, I assume you know that.

I have a Babyface and an Apollo. The Babyface is for mobile use in my case - I wouldn't be happy with it as my main interface. It fits easily in my laptop bag and does not require a separate power supply, which would be a pain.

In the same price range you should look at the Audient ID22 and the SPL Crimson. I have read good reviews of both, but neither has any DSP processing at all.

Good luck.

Why you wouldn't be happy with your babyface as main interface ? Soundwise ?
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm kind of in the same boat as you right now. I just sold my Digi 003 rack and my RME ADI 8 is up for sale. I'm only selling my RME because I just don't want to have that many inputs and I want to tighten up my setup.

The RME kicks a**, and I have been eyeing the RME Babyface. I also have been giving a serious look at the SPL Crimson and the Audient i22.

There's a great thread on here comparing the Crimson and Audient. Check it out. I really think you can't lose with any of these 3 interfaces. Just look at all their options and decide what you need. You can make music of the highest quality on all 3.

I get to track in some amazing studios through SSL boards and the best preamps and mics on the planet. I can't tell you how many times I have been finishing off projects at home. lol.

I just run everything through my UA 610 Channel strip and bingo, I'm almost there. It then just comes down to production and the engineer manning the controls. Just grab your tools and use your skill set and make music.We have the technology and tools do some amazing things right in our home.

I need to stop all the money flowing from my wallet for Slate's plugins. lol. That is whole another can of worms. haha

Happy tracking. Let us know what you got. Keep on creating!
Old 27th February 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here are my 2 cents on the Apollo Twin:

An artist for whom I mix uses an Apollo Twin and so I use it whenever I work from his home studio.

Good:

- The preamps sound clean (haven't done any direct comparisons though).

- It has all the features you need if the amount if I/Os doesn't limit you.

- The thing feels very high-quality, it's solidly built.

- Neat: A push on the knob mutes or un-mutes the currently selected output.

Not so good:

- The usability of the one-knob design sucks. I don't know why they built only one knob into this thing - probably because it looks fancy - but it sucks for one obvious reason: You can ever only control one thing at a time. Other interfaces have a gain knob for almost every input and output, so you can quickly turn down your speakers a bit, turn up your headphones at the same time, and turn down the gain on the mic preamp, too. With the Apollo Twin, you have to select the channel you want you change first. Select the speakers, then turn down the volume. Then switch the selection to the headphone output, then turn up the volume there. Then switch the selection to the mic preamp - you get what I mean. This design with the one knob is as unnecessary as it is a pain in the ass for your workflow. You want to turn up the mic preamp gain real quick while recording but oops - all you did is accidentally turn up the volume of the monitor speakers because you forgot the monitor output was still selected and you forgot to switch to the mic input first. It just sucks and there is no reason for it to be this way.

- Even though it basically is a 2-in/2-out interface and you would hence assume it is quite portable - it is not. It is heavy and bulky and a pain to carry around. It's too big for what it is. An RME Babyface or an Apogee Duet is much smaller and much more portable and yet it offers the same features and pretty much the same quality preamps and converters (please spare me with any arguments about the sonic superiority of the Apollo, because there really isn't much of a difference between all three of the above).

- The UAD plug-ins may be awesome, but it absolutely sucks that you can only use them with the UAD hardware. I would never ever make myself dependent on dedicated hardware for my plug-ins, no matter how good the plug-ins sound. Whenever I'm not in this artist's studio (and hence not connected to the Apollo), I can't use the UAD plug-ins. What a pain in the ass! This effectively leads to me not using any UAD plug-ins at all, because I need to be able to work on my projects on the road or at home or at a different studio where there might not be any UAD hardware. I recommend everybody: Don't invest in plug-ins that need dedicated external DSP hardware. Modern computers are fast enough to do the processing of your plug-ins natively and external DSP hardware just chains you to a certain location and is expensive on top of that. Before I'd buy a UAD card I'd rather invest that money into a new multi-core Mac.
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulguitar ➑️
Why you wouldn't be happy with your babyface as main interface ? Soundwise ?
As I said, the break-out cables are a PITA - I prefer to have an XLR panel I can plug into and out of. The plugins in the Babyface are limited, whereas in the Apollo you have many many choices (but they cost!). Also in my studio I require more than two inputs and outputs, but for mobile use the Babyface is fine.

"Soundwise" I don't care to comment. There are so many "shootouts" (mostly very unscientific and biased) and opinions on GS, and all I can say is: RME, UA SPL, Audient, Apogee - they are all good enough for my purposes. My clients might come back to and say "your mix is bad", but never say "your converters sound bad".
πŸ“ Reply