The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015
View Poll Results: Your favourite DAW for 2014/2015 is...
Bitwig OS X
18 Votes - 1.08%
Ableton Live OS X
78 Votes - 4.70%
Adobe Audition OS X
2 Votes - 0.12%
Apple Logic OS X
301 Votes - 18.14%
Ardour OS X
1 Votes - 0.06%
Avid Pro Tools TDM OS X
21 Votes - 1.27%
Avid Pro Tools HDX OS X
35 Votes - 2.11%
Avid Pro Tools Native OS X
94 Votes - 5.67%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc, OS X
9 Votes - 0.54%
Cockos Reaper OS X
56 Votes - 3.38%
Harrison Mixbus OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Magix Samplitude
18 Votes - 1.08%
Mackie Tracktion OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Motu Digital Performer OS X
43 Votes - 2.59%
PreSonus Studio One OS X
51 Votes - 3.07%
Propellerhead Record/Reason OS X
14 Votes - 0.84%
Steinberg Cubase OS X
77 Votes - 4.64%
Steinberg Nuendo OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Pyramix OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Sound Forge OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Bitwig WINDOWS
11 Votes - 0.66%
Ableton Live Windows
62 Votes - 3.74%
Adobe Audition Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Avid Pro Tools TDM Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools HDX Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools Native Windows
34 Votes - 2.05%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Cakewalk Sonar Windows
78 Votes - 4.70%
Cockos Reaper Windows
145 Votes - 8.74%
Harrison Mixbus Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Image Line Fruity Loops Windows
35 Votes - 2.11%
Magix Samplitude Windows
21 Votes - 1.27%
Magix Sequoia Windows
15 Votes - 0.90%
Mackie Tracktion Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Motu Digital Performer Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
PreSonus Studio One Windows
93 Votes - 5.61%
Propellerhead Record/Reason Windows
11 Votes - 0.66%
Sony Creative Software Acid Windows
4 Votes - 0.24%
Steinberg Cubase Windows
244 Votes - 14.71%
Steinberg Nuendo Windows
29 Votes - 1.75%
Pyramix Windows
7 Votes - 0.42%
Sadie Windows
6 Votes - 0.36%
Sound Forge Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Voters: 1659. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre ➑️
You keep going on about Big Money, but there is no big money in music. Look a steel foundries, dairy products, bread, building contractors, you name it and that is big money. Setting up a studio for a couple of million ain't big money!
IMO ''Big' isn't an absolute value. "Big" has to be seen in the context of what we're talking about.

And he's probably right that DSP based PT systems still are around in most high end studios which work on 'big' projects and large budgets ('large' – in the context of what most recording budgets are for an average recording).

Quote:
Mass products that appeal to millions is big money. A few hundred professionals and 'prosumers' buying ProTools or Nuendo is never going to be big money. Even a few thousand is not big money.
Ableton Live is reported to have a million users, and Live isn't the 'biggest' DAW around.

If Apple, for instance, sells a million copies of Logic, that's 200 million dollars, and even if 50 people would work on Logic and make $100,000/year each, on average, there's still 195 mill dollars left...

Tape was also around in all the 'big' studios (for a long time), and unlike tape, I don't think PT will disappear from most high end studios. They'll probably keep PT (at least a native version) even if they switch to another DAW, for compatibility reasons. I kept my own PTHD rig for several years as well, just to be compatible with old projects.
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are any of the Score programs out there capable of recording/playing back audio in a reasonably useful way? I'm asking because if the answer is yes, they should have been included in this poll as well...
Old 24th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As of today it looks like Cubase/Nuendo is at 22.57% (total PC & Mac) with Logic in 2nd place with 16.8%. Pretty impressive for Cubase/Nuendo considering how expensive it is compared to most other DAWs.

I am absolutely loving Cubase 7.5 on Windows!!!
Old 25th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➑️
As of today it looks like Cubase/Nuendo is at 22.57% (total PC & Mac) with Logic in 2nd place with 16.8%. Pretty impressive for Cubase/Nuendo considering how expensive it is compared to most other DAWs.
That higher price could be part of the explanation why Cubase don't have twice as many votes as Logic even it is available on the the Mac and PC market. Having said that, Cubase isn't particularly expensive; it's Logic (the most comparable DAW) that has been dropped to a ridiculously low price.
Old 26th January 2014 | Show parent
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
That higher price could be part of the explanation why Cubase don't have twice as many votes as Logic even it is available on the the Mac and PC market.
It might be "available" on Mac but I can tell you from personal experience if you want to run Cubase as a serious professional DAW it's Windows all the way - the low latency performance of Cubase on OSX is pants compared to Windows.

Cubase is in my book as much a Windows DAW as Logic is an OSX DAW - SB endlessly promise to match performance between platforms but I've yet to see that happen.

I can run fairly large Cubase projects on Windows at 32 buffer setting with an RME PCIe interface - and it's just not happening on OSX.

That's what's clearly reflected in your poll - no question in my mind.
Old 26th January 2014
Deleted User
Some quick addition has 159 on OSX and 213 on Windows as of right now. When you look at the total numbers, it's notable how diffuse the choice of DAWs is. Including on OSX, where 68 chose Logic, but 91 chose other DAWs. Steinberg Cubendo on Windows is 73, but 140 chose other DAWs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fe72b38 ➑️
It might be "available" on Mac but I can tell you from personal experience if you want to run Cubase as a serious professional DAW it's Windows all the way - the low latency performance of Cubase on OSX is pants compared to Windows.
Hi!
If what you are saying is that there are 'things' with the OS X version of Cubase which make people not want to use it in spite of it being available on Macs, my reply would be that these are exactly the kind of things that influences why people prefer one DAW over another... and therefore will be reflected in the poll as well. So effectively, Cubase is "the" not industry standard' among DAW users, across both platforms, and for some (or several) reasons(s), it hasn't gotten a lot of votes on the Mac platform. You may be right that this could be due to one single reason, but then again, if there's only one reason people don't use, say, Studio One, it's still not an industry standard or even very popular due to that one single reason.

Maybe Cubase is not popular on OS X for several reasons: Price, latency stuff, stability reasons, or maybe simple because people want to buy Logic instead because it's made by the same company which makes the hardware and OS on their computer - or because they think Logic is better. Maybe a lot of people would have bought Logic if it would be available in a Windows versions as well, but that's not relevant to the outcome of this poll. It's just about figuring out which DAW they see as their favourite, and if (hint all the people who watch this thread wold bother to vote, the numbers in the poll would most likely be more in touch with the real life distribution of DAWs out there than it is now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by claurence ➑️
Some quick addition has 159 on OSX and 213 on Windows as of right now.
....which (again) suggests that 'industry standards' may change. In the early DAW years, most people preferred Mac for working with audio and music.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Hi!
If what you are saying is that there are 'things' with the OS X version of Cubase which make people not want to use it in spite of it being available on Macs
For me and a lot of folk I know it's "thing" not things.

If Cubase had the same exceptional low latency performance on OSX that it has on Windows, I most likely use it on OSX as I prefer OSX as an OS.

But it most certainly does not. As a DAW Cubase is very very hard to beat as an all round DAW, although SB need to sort out the MC in C7!

I've now got Logic X on my iMac .... I like it (although sheesh it's very buggy) but the stand out thing for me with Logic is just how well it runs on OSX - if I was an OSX only studio I would definitely choose Logic over Cubase, no question. Fortunately I don't have to make that choice as I'm comfortable with W7 and OSX.
Old 13th February 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase is in the lead with 78 and Logic right behind. I never knew that Cubase had such a large amount of users.

If I had not seen this poll my guess would have been Pro Tools as most used followed by Logic.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old 13th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Storage ➑️
Cubase is in the lead with 78 and Logic right behind. I never knew that Cubase had such a large amount of users.
Cubase has strengthened its position compared with the previous (similar) poll. But in terms of smartness/market share, Logic is the winner, because it dominates its own market (the Mac market) a lot more than Cubase dominates it's (PC and Mac) market.

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
My semi-blind guess about the three biggies is that:
Cubase will end up just a tad higher than Logic (max 2%.)
The old "industry standard", Pro Tools TDM systems will end up with a total of max circa 1 % of the votes (like now). The new "industry standard" according to Avid, Pro Tools HDX systems, will end up with max 3% of the votes.
Reaper will be a good number 4.

Warning: long post coming up!

Logic is very popular among new users and migrants from other programs (especially Pro Tools and GarageBand), but have lost some existing users for obvious reasons: lack of major new features, bugginess, lack of focus on things for the score/education market, lack of focus on composing related improvements, too many half-baked solutions (Articulation IDs, the Score editor, VCA groups etc), removal of dozens of functions that were in Logic 9, no major improvements for music-to-picture composing and more. In spite of what seems like a lot of focus on making the biggest, but not necessarily the best DAW*, the Logic market share may not increase much at all. Right now it has gained 0.5% market share compared with the previous similar poll. I'm sure there are a lot more Logic owners now than (before LPX), but how many more active LPX Logic users are there?

I think we'll see no big change compared with today's result unless Steinberg uses the Sibelius team to make a DAW which has a fully integrated score editor, because that's what the education market needs: an easy to use DAW with a great and simple score editor. Avid also has the ability to make a "Logic clone", by using the remaining people of the Sibelius team and the new score coders they have hired to make a DAW with a fully integrated professional Score editor. If they do this, thy could make a lot of progress compared with Logic, which totally dominates the Mac platform.

Don't get me wrong, I still have very high respect for the Logic developers. But I do have the feeling that someone else are deciding what needs to be improved in Logic - probably someone involved in marketing/sales etc. Hence LPX - a major new version which lacks a lot of the major changes many existing users have wanted for years. Sometimes one needs to ignore the habits of old users of course, or implement changes that will become unpopular in the beginning. But LPX is a special case, in that the "price" (read: needing to relearn some stuff and deal with a huge amount of bugs and stability issues + lose existing functionality) isn't rewarded with the kind of major features one would hope to see after a few years of waiting.

The three worst things that could happen to Logic is, IMO...

a) ...if they have a new policy of getting rid of the demanding customers, and rather focus on becoming the new 'home organ' of the DAWs, with auto-drummers, auto-bass players, tons of loops and what not, and ignore the most important of all markets: those who make the songs which the whole music market, and therefore most DAWs are dependent on.

b) ...if they secretly develop a new, pro standalone score editor and release it at the same time as Steinberg and Avid release new DAW versions with integrated score editors, because people always want the simples solutions.

c) ...if they keep assuming that they are making the best DAW for composers/song writers, but keep forgetting that there are other ways to make music than to record some ideas/chords and a melody via MIDI, mainly on the white keys, and make some small edit in the editors.

Actually it would be bad if they kept Logic as guitar oriented as it has become, and at the same ignore beefing up the MIDI composing/editing/notation areas. (For those who don't know: LPX has a library of 4000+ guitar chords built in, but still have trouble notating an E major triad or a Bmaj7 correctly. Shame on Apple.) I have nothing against guitars, but I have something against ignoring so many other areas.

What kind of music program one uses actually affects what kind of songs which actually ends up in the 'air'. Great responsibility is relying on the DAW makers.

My long rant is soon over... all I want is a DAW which feel like a musical instrument. In many ways, good old pianos are a lot better than my current DAW for writing songs, but better DAWs could change that. As a matter of fact, I'd be happy with any major step leading to better songs/better music! (Disclaimer: as long as that step isn't in the karaoke/Klaus Wunderlich/BAnd-In-A-Box direction)!

* In other words, a product with a somehow opposite philosophy of Steve Jobs' goal "to make the best devices in the world, not to be the biggest". (Source: Jobs speaks! The complete transcript | Macworld) ETA: It may seem like a foolish step NOT to try to be the "biggest", but sometimes foolish is good, isn't it - even in terms of market share?
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are the results so far – with one graph for Windows DAWs, another one for Mac DAWs, where each DAW is shown as a percentage of its own (Window or Mac) market. (I posted something similar a few days ago, but found that one of the OS X votes had sneaked into the Windows results.)
Attached Thumbnails
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015-osx-after-463-votes.png   The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015-windows-after-463-votes.png  
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nice work Native! Im a bit surprised that there arent more DP users on OSX.
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes, and there are several other surprising elements in the results so far as well.

Let's see how things develop with more votes.

Btw, there's also an interesting trend going when looking at the three biggies (Pro Tools, Cubase and Logic), if one looks at the results from polls on this forum over the last few years:
Attached Thumbnails
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015-biggies-after-466-votes-b.jpg  
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Btw, does anyone know what happened to Nuendo? In early polls here on GS, Nuendo often got 8-10% (and sometimes even more) of the total votes, but in this poll, Nuendo has less than 1,5% so far. Has Cubase gotten many of the Nuendo features, so the old Nuendo users are on Cubase now?
Old 10th March 2014 | Show parent
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Btw, does anyone know what happened to Nuendo? In early polls here on GS, Nuendo often got 8-10% (and sometimes even more) of the total votes, but in this poll, Nuendo has less than 1,5% so far. Has Cubase gotten many of the Nuendo features, so the old Nuendo users are on Cubase now?
Nuendo users are in Post - so their actually busy earning money

Seriously though, I think Cubase 7.5 has a lot to offer previous Nuendo users who only used Nuendo to make music, for Post Nuendo stills has features Cubase doesn't.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My fave is Audio Mulch, which isn't listed.
Old 11th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➑️
Nuendo users are in Post - so their actually busy earning money

Seriously though, I think Cubase 7.5 has a lot to offer previous Nuendo users who only used Nuendo to make music, for Post Nuendo stills has features Cubase doesn't.
There's a section for post production here on GS, so there should be some of them around... but I have a feeling that some DAWs get many votes only in 'multiple choice' polls. Having said that, it seems that Cubase in general is popular these days, unless all the Nuendo guys have voted for Cubase just to get it it to the top of the popularity list. :-) Or maybe Nuendo got a lot of votes earlier (in multi-choice polls) by Cubase users who also used Nuendo?

Pardon my ignorance, eve69... is Audio Mulch a full DAW, or only a live tool?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➑️
For me and a lot of folk I know it's "thing" not things.

If Cubase had the same exceptional low latency performance on OSX that it has on Windows, I most likely use it on OSX as I prefer OSX as an OS.

But it most certainly does not. As a DAW Cubase is very very hard to beat as an all round DAW, although SB need to sort out the MC in C7!

I've now got Logic X on my iMac .... I like it (although sheesh it's very buggy) but the stand out thing for me with Logic is just how well it runs on OSX - if I was an OSX only studio I would definitely choose Logic over Cubase, no question. Fortunately I don't have to make that choice as I'm comfortable with W7 and OSX.
Hey bro we crossed paths before but I don't know what your talking about with Cubase on OSX? I run it on both machines so if you could give me some examples I'llbe sure to look into it.

Plus Cubase have worked on their performance on both platforms, I think you're talking about the past...
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What??? Can't vote for Studio Vision!!! Does this mean we're really in the 21st century???
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I doubt it will impact the results, but I wanted to clear up an error in the DAW choices. Tracktion, now on version 5, has not been at all affiliated with Mackie since version 3. In fact, version 3 is the only version put out under Mackie and was by far the worst, most unstable of them all.

It's now owned an developed by Tracktion Software Corporation. And it's the best.
Old 11th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks, Kuene - it's good idea to update this for future polls.

Here are the results after 499 votes. This was the amount of votes which the previous (similar) poll got –before it was closed after more than a year.

I have merged the Mac and PC votes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015-daw-poll-2014-2015-after-499-votes.jpg  
Old 11th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
The answer to the question about popularity of Logic is very simple- it is THE new fruity loops for every "producer" out there right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyJohansson ➑️
The answer to the question about popularity of Logic is very simple- it is THE new fruity loops for every "producer" out there right now.
Fruity Loops got 8 votes in the previous similar poll, and 6 now, so I'm not totally convinced that the FL-reference answers that question. :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Logic's popularity is the same as it ever was. I use it professionally to mix so of course I don't agree with your "comment". And yes I also own Pro Tools but prefer Logic's workflow.
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Why does every Logic user have to be so defensive? I am simply poking fun.
The workflow is great, undeniably. Do you get a lot of band wagoners? Absolutely. Case closed.

And, yes speaking of fl studio and those rattling hi hats and 0 threshold sub notes...
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why does every Logic user has to be so defensive? I am simply poking fun.
The workflow is great, undeniably. Do you get a lot of band wagoners? Absolutely. Case closed.

And, yes speaking of fl studio and those rattling hi hats and 0 threshold sub notes...
Logic is the Fl studio for mac, its used mostly for making beats and it the cheapest option among the popular daws. Plenty of hit records were made with fl studios. There's nothing wrong with either daw.

But I do agree with you...
Old 12th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
There indeed is nowt wrong with either. Their current ongoing trends and core audience is what I was getting at.
Old 12th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Why does every Logic user have to be so defensive?
Look at the poll over how happy Logic users are with Logic X. Almost 20%, and I'm one of them, voted in the lowest category (= least happy votes: 5 or lower). You may be right about band wagoners, but there's almost 1 out of 5 Logic users who are not happy with X, and that's a less ideal result than Cubase 7 has achieved in a similar poll. Pro Tools 11 users seem even more frustrated, but that may have to do with a mix of being frustrated with both Avid and PT, the AAX/64-bit stuff etc. Honestly, even if there are some great things in Logic X, there are almost no new major features that interest me much, and I don' think I've written much positive stuff about Logic since X came out - in spite of the better looks, some under-the-hood improvements and some workflow changes (some of them good, some of them bad)...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic...gic-pro-x.html
Gearslutz.com - View Poll Results
Gearslutz.com - View Poll Results

Does Cubase 7 get the most users because Cubase user are the most happy ones? Well, I think it's almost as simple as that. But it helps to have a market which is twice as big as well. Having said that, back when everybody in the music business, DTP business etc thought that Macs were better than PCs, they bought Mac programs even the PC market was almost 10 times as big. Logic may possibly have gotten some new users, but they've almost lost some. I'm on the fece myself - not because I dislike the new stuff, but due to Apple's extreme lack of interest in developing certain parts of Logic. The seem to try to get the education market to stay away from Logic, the score development is disastrously slow, the composing/MIDI editing improvements are scarce, film music related improvements aren't really happening... and they are changes/removals of various things that - even after some months of trying to get used to the changes, work less good than they they did before. Plus, certain things, related to the actual composing/songwriting process (not arranging, not producing, not mixing) suggests that the kind of music the product developers involved in this make (I assume they use people who make music in this process), are making rather straightforward rock-ish or electronica music with few chord changes etc. "6/4" may be "ethnic" for them. :-)

The poll results are the same as before (but not so good compared with Cubase). It would IMO be better *for Apple* if they showed that they are as interested in keeping existing users as they are in increasing the market share.
πŸ“ Reply