The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015
View Poll Results: Your favourite DAW for 2014/2015 is...
Bitwig OS X
18 Votes - 1.08%
Ableton Live OS X
78 Votes - 4.70%
Adobe Audition OS X
2 Votes - 0.12%
Apple Logic OS X
301 Votes - 18.14%
Ardour OS X
1 Votes - 0.06%
Avid Pro Tools TDM OS X
21 Votes - 1.27%
Avid Pro Tools HDX OS X
35 Votes - 2.11%
Avid Pro Tools Native OS X
94 Votes - 5.67%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc, OS X
9 Votes - 0.54%
Cockos Reaper OS X
56 Votes - 3.38%
Harrison Mixbus OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Magix Samplitude
18 Votes - 1.08%
Mackie Tracktion OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Motu Digital Performer OS X
43 Votes - 2.59%
PreSonus Studio One OS X
51 Votes - 3.07%
Propellerhead Record/Reason OS X
14 Votes - 0.84%
Steinberg Cubase OS X
77 Votes - 4.64%
Steinberg Nuendo OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Pyramix OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Sound Forge OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Bitwig WINDOWS
11 Votes - 0.66%
Ableton Live Windows
62 Votes - 3.74%
Adobe Audition Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Avid Pro Tools TDM Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools HDX Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools Native Windows
34 Votes - 2.05%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Cakewalk Sonar Windows
78 Votes - 4.70%
Cockos Reaper Windows
145 Votes - 8.74%
Harrison Mixbus Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Image Line Fruity Loops Windows
35 Votes - 2.11%
Magix Samplitude Windows
21 Votes - 1.27%
Magix Sequoia Windows
15 Votes - 0.90%
Mackie Tracktion Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Motu Digital Performer Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
PreSonus Studio One Windows
93 Votes - 5.61%
Propellerhead Record/Reason Windows
11 Votes - 0.66%
Sony Creative Software Acid Windows
4 Votes - 0.24%
Steinberg Cubase Windows
244 Votes - 14.71%
Steinberg Nuendo Windows
29 Votes - 1.75%
Pyramix Windows
7 Votes - 0.42%
Sadie Windows
6 Votes - 0.36%
Sound Forge Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Voters: 1659. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Studio One / Windows (This is what I use mostly, although I don't care for the OS).
Live is taking my attention this year. I might upgrade from my lite edition.
Old 9th January 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've grown to love logic a lot, but reason is still an aux extension of my brain
Old 9th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Reaper

then Ableton

then Sonar

the Cubase

But if its one Reaper
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes, there are other major questions, e.g.
- What's the DAW with most user-hours?
- What's the most sold DAW?
- What's the DAW with most income for the manufacturer?
- What is the DAW with the most skilled/professional users?
- What is the top pro-studio DAW?
- What is the top home-studio DAW?
etc
Old 9th January 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Looking at the poll does this mean that Pro Tools is finally Dead!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimYoung ➑️
I'm surprised by the low percentage of Sonar users.

Cubase on Windows is my DAW software.
Former long time Sonar user since v 2. Jumped ship after 8.6.3 when the buggy X series came out. CUBASE 7.5 has been great. sometimes Pt 10-11, but most comfie with steinberg (Wavelab 8 also).
Old 9th January 2014
Deleted fe72b38
Cubase 7.5 for me these days .... what else is there :-)

Doesn't Steinberg always win these polls!

Cubendo OSX and Windows, add the votes up and Steiny always ends up as "Miss World"

It's all a bit childish really, but fun never the less .... "Go Steinberg" (that's my team :-)
Old 11th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor ➑️

Cubendo OSX and Windows, add the votes up and Steiny always ends up as "Miss World"
Looking at the 12 polls I posted links to in an earlier post, 'always' isn't the right word. But they're usually doing very well!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted fe72b38 ➑️
Yes and for a very good reason! They sell more! They are head-and-shoulders number one in the MI market and stable-mate Nuendo is making headway in the A-for-V pro market with their new 'Nuage' system, which is unbelievably good value for money.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre ➑️
Yes and for a very good reason! They sell more!
Cubase has been and still is ahead of Logic in some areas, and probably behind Logic in others – I wouldn't know, because I'm only aware of the stuff Cubase has which I wish Logic had. :-)

But Cubase+Nuendo aren't always ending up as the Miss Universe of DAW polls... let's not forget that there's an obvious reason why Cubase *should* sell a lot more than Logic, the most relevant main rival: Cubase is also available on the major computer platform out there: Windows. Apple has only 10% (plus/minus 5%) of the market, which of course affects the outcome of a DAW poll which includes both Mac and Window products.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Studio One and Reaper here under Windows 8. I voted for Studio One. I too was a long time Sonar user who jumped ship when the X series was released. I prefer Studio One because for me, while it isn't the most feature laden DAW, what it does is very well executed. I use Reaper as my back up but it's so complex that I haven't even scratched the surface of it's capabilities. For me, it works as well as Studio One but nowhere near as good a workflow. Probably due to my laziness in not learning Reaper properly.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Cubase has been and still is ahead in Cubase in some areas, and probably behind Logic in others areas –*I wouldn't know, because I'm only aware of the stuff Cubase has which I wish Logic had. :-)

But Cubase+Nuendo aren't always ending up as the Miss Universe of DAW polls... let's not forget that there's an obvious reason why Cubase *should* sell a lot more than Logic, the most relevant main rival: Cubase is also available on the major computer platform out there: Windows. Apple has only 10% (plus/minus 5%) of the market, which of course affects the outcome of a DAW poll which includes both Mac and Window products.
Yes, but that is for the overall desktop market. In pro-audio and in 'prosumer' audio, the two platforms are about equal, with perhaps Windows being ahead in Prosumer and Mac ahead in full professional.

Also, the waters are muddied by video software being mainly available on PC (except for FC) so A-for-V is often on PC, unless it is in a facility that uses FC.

I get to work with many many engineers and I keep seeing ProTools 'refugees' moving to CuBase, Logic and Reaper. A-for-V is up for grabs and Nuage/Nuendo looks like an odds-on favourite. This really is a market in the grip of major changes!

In that, I think that your poll is more accurate than you give it and yourself credit for!
Deleted fe72b38
That said, in these terrible economic times I kinda expect Logic to win as it's by far the cheapest (Reaper aside) - here in the UK Logic only cost the same as a couple of tanks of petrol in your car .... Logic is fantastic value for money.

Cubase 7.5 costs Β£489 here in the UK which is pretty expensive for most people.
Old 12th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, but that is for the overall desktop market. In pro-audio and in 'prosumer' audio, the two platforms are about equal, with perhaps Windows being ahead in Prosumer and Mac ahead in full professional.
Wait – even if the two are equal in the pro and prosumer market, any DAW which is available for both platforms will have the potential to sell twice as many copies as a single platform DAW. For that reason, PT, Cubase and the other cross-platform DAWs should, if they were as good/popular/[insert more suitable word here]* as Logic, have twice as many users (and votes) as Logic.

A diehard Apple fan would probably conclude that if one of the DAWs on the Mac market sells almost as many copies as all the other Mac DAWs combined, it's twice as good/successful as the others. Right now Logic has circa twice as many votes as the four Mac versions of Pro Tools/Mac combined, and almost 7 times as many votes as Cubase/Mac has. Like it or not, but that's success. :-)

A diehard Windows fan may conclude that the reason why there are so few Cubase users on the Apple platform is that Windows is better, using Windows = less expensive PCs etc, so those who want to eg Cubase or Pro Tools simply don't need to or want to buy a Mac, hence the bad rating.

The bad news for AVID is that while the four PT/Mac versions currently only have 9.41% the total votes coming from Mac market, the situation is even worse on the Windows market – less than 3% (again, of the total votes):the same low percentage which Cubase/Mac has.

So – if we talk about 'industry standards' among DAW users, there are currently two clear winners – or 'industry standards', if you will: Logic on the Mac platform, and Cubase on the Windows platform.

DSP based Pro Tools may be an 'industry standard' as well, but has gotten only 9 out of 288 votes, so those products are industry standards within a very tiny market.
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
DSP based Pro Tools may be an 'industry standard' as well, but has gotten only 9 out of 288 votes, so those products are industry standards within a very tiny market.
or .... a market share that is too busy earning money as working professionals to have the time or inclination to vote on an internet forum poll.

You gotta admit that is a possible reason.

I've yet to go into a commercial studio (open to outside clients) anywhere that doesn't run PT as it's main DAW .... and I've been in a lot!!

Just food for thought.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
or .... a market share that is too busy earning money as working professionals to have the time or inclination to vote on an internet forum poll.
I've been in dozens of studios, and my experience with good high end studios is that they usually have both customers and enough engineers wanting to work there, meaning that each of the engineers or owners in those studio certainly have time to vote on a poll on internet if they're interested.

Plus, they did have time to give PT more votes in earlier polls. Do you suggest that there's so brilliant times nowadays, for the recording market, that unlike a few years ago, all the engineers don't even have time to use internet? :-)

I think the explanations lies elsewhere. Many of used PT/PT hardware because that was the only reliable solution for professional work (with enough DSP and low enough latency) some years ago. Now, when this has changed, more people go for other solutions. That doesn't, of course, that PT isn't a good DAW.

PT has become more oriented towards the native market, have a simple score editor like eg. Cubase and Logic always has had, and Cubase and Logic is a lot more focused on audio editing features etc than it used to be in the early days. Logic also used to be known for being the perfect DAWW for songwriters and composers but we have seen over the last years that other programs a have evolved a lot more than Logic in these areas, making the decision about which DAW to go for a lot more difficult than before.

Quote:
I've yet to go into a commercial studio (open to outside clients) anywhere that doesn't run PT as it's main DAW .... and I've been in a lot!!
I've commented that comment before, so I'll skip doing it this time. I know of several commercial studios which are available to outside clients which are Logic based, and even one which is Cubase based. But while music often is mixed in such studios, a lot of the music which is being made made isn't made in recoding studios any more. Classical music is often recorded and suitable halls etc, electronica is hardly recorded, but programmed - and so on. My Mac Pro weighs a ton, but I've still used it for portable recordings (last time was when I was recoding choir, in a school). Trust me - nobody in the choir were interested in which software I was using.

With the new, tiny Mac Pros (and similar products) portable, on-site recordings will keep becoming more and more common.

I even worked on an album a few years ago where some of the tracks were recorded inside a Volkswagen T2 (and it did get a Grammy!). :-)
Old 13th January 2014 | Show parent
Deleted fe72b38
Quote:
I even worked on an album a few years ago where some of the tracks were recorded inside a Volkswagen T2 (and it did get a Grammy!). :-)
Love it .... must of been interesting!
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another interesting poll would be, you can only vote if 100% of your income comes from recording live musicians, what DAW do you use.

Then another for Post only, then one like this one for home studios.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Another interesting poll would be, you can only vote if 100% of your income comes from recording live musicians, what DAW do you use.
That would exclude a lot of professional sound engineers/producers etc.

And: since a large portion of recordings of professional musicians and other great talent is recorded by people who don't only earn a living from being sound engineers as such (they may have royalty incomes from music they have been involved in recording (or other music), or own stock in some company, or earn money on teaching others how to produce/engineer/master music (and so on)... what's the point? ;-)
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, but commercial studios recording rock bands is the SMALLEST part of the audio industry.

Also, I've been in many (esp. in mainland Europe) that run Nuendo, CuBase, Radar and others as their main DAW. We have PT, Radar, Soundscape and Reaper and very often, customers bring their own Logic DAW into the studio with them.

PT is at position four because that is the true state of the market. The results of this poll tie in almost precisely with other polls and market surveys I have seen and also with the very well documented MI sales figures. Though it does have a few unfortunate gaps!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, but commercial studios recording rock bands is the SMALLEST part of the audio industry.

PT is at position four because that is the true state of the market. The results of this poll tie in almost precisely with other polls and market surveys I have seen and also with the very well documented MI sales figures. Though it does have a few unfortunate gaps!
That may be true, however, where money is being spent, I mean real money, Protools dominates and anything said other than that is insane.

Logic is where it is because it's 200 bucks. Don't mean to diss Logic, I own it and it's a great DAW. Although Cubase is very popular for very good reasons, and is also very good for the home project studio, where I think the discussion gets distorted quickly.

From a percent of market share in situations where big money is on the line, Protools dominates, without any competition at all. Where composers are concerned, not the case at all. I would say that Logic/Cubase/DP all do a fantastic job and are relied on by big money composers every day to get their job done. I can easily see PT being laughed out of the room in that circumstances.

However, when that final mix that is submitted for the vast majority of recorded music we all hear today and the vast majority of film projects, Protools was the DAW used at the final stage to mix these projects before being sent off to mastering, etc. Are there exceptions, sure, can those vary by region of the continent, sure, buy when you look at global market share for that market, PTHD, PTHDN, or PTHDX dominate clearly.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That would exclude a lot of professional sound engineers/producers etc.

And: since a large portion of recordings of professional musicians and other great talent is recorded by people who don't only earn a living from being sound engineers as such (they may have royalty incomes from music they have been involved in recording (or other music), or own stock in some company, or earn money on teaching others how to produce/engineer/master music (and so on)... what's the point? ;-)
As always you are very detailed in your thought process.

I'm pretty sure you know where I was headed with that. You are in fact, one of the smartest guys on this site, and that is sincere.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cubase has been and still is ahead of Logic in some areas, and probably behind Logic in others – I wouldn't know, because I'm only aware of the stuff Cubase has which I wish Logic had.

Same situation here. Just changed from Cubase/Windows to Logic/OSX (and cubase to transition projects..)

couldn't be happier.

I've been a hardcore Cubase user since Cubase VST, Steinberg lost me with Cuabse 7, feels like a toy and I'm kinda lost around it.

Worked with Logic Pro X recently and that made me switch. I needed to replace my studio computer so I went with a loaded 27" iMac. I should have done that a long time ago!

cheers!
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cubase. Windows 7.
Old 13th January 2014
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Seems like Cubase is the winner.
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't care what the poll says... my DAW (Studio One) is the best and that's a fact...
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by campers ➑️
Seems like Cubase is the winner.
I've known this for years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➑️
I would say that Logic/Cubase/DP all do a fantastic job and are relied on by big money composers every day to get their job done.
If we're not talking about only pop/rock, I think many big money composers often use Sibelius, at least for anything which involves notation. Whatever people say about Logic's capabilities as a composer tool, Sibelius have some simple composing relevant functionality which may contribute significantly towards a more... musical way of creating songs, at least unless one basically writes songs by playing some chords on piano or guitar and add a melody on top of it (or make a melody on top of a bunch of loops; the Karaoke approach).

The DAW or notation programs we use certainly influence our writing style in that they influence what kind of songs we make. If I'm not mistaken, all regular DAWs have a lot to learn from the more straightforward notation/composition programs, and I'm not only thinking about score relevant features now: the best features in Sibelius (and probably Finale) would be just as useful for piano roll editing.
Old 15th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns ➑️
That may be true, however, where money is being spent, I mean real money, Protools dominates and anything said other than that is insane.
You keep going on about Big Money, but there is no big money in music. Look a steel foundries, dairy products, bread, building contractors, you name it and that is big money. Setting up a studio for a couple of million ain't big money! Spending $20k on a DAW ain't big anything - it's less than your local taxi driver spent on his GMC or Ford.

Mass products that appeal to millions is big money. A few hundred professionals and 'prosumers' buying ProTools or Nuendo is never going to be big money. Even a few thousand is not big money. The modest turnover of the audio companies tells you it's not big money.
Old 15th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
But there are two other, really important factors: A good DAW needs to work well within the education market (read: easy to use and have good scoring capabilities) and it also needs to cater for professionals' needs even if most of it's user usually won't need all these features. I think this is important for a number of reasons, eg. because many hobbyists want to use what the pros use, and because the wannebe market is gigantic compared with the pro market - and because wannabes still want a great professional feature set.

<..>

One more thing about the success-ratio of each of these DAWs: The manufacturers, of course need to listen to their customers, but the worst thing which could happen for the development of any of these DAWs would be if the companies would post questionnaires to their users and ask questions like "Do you use the score editor?", "How often do you use **** for live use?" etc –*if the answers would fool them to assume that they eg. don't need to keep developing this or that feature just because not so many users use it, ignoring the fact that most people who eg. need a program which is great for live use – or one that has a great score editor –*already are using other DAWs, and therefore won't respond to such questions.
Very good points that I have often made myself. I think the above two explain exactly why Sonar is so low on the polls. They had/have a predominantly hobbyist user base and would listen way too much to them when considering adding or improving features.

I tried to explain to them many times that the best way to sell to hobbyists is to make the DAW as Pro as possible (but keep the price tag down) and ignore the majority of their user base's requests but that never seemed to get through to them.

IMO Cakewalk completely lost the plot with the X series (And even a bit before that. Many theories were given for that. Mine remains that Ron Kuper left and everything went downhill from there...)

As for Pro Tools. I blame Avid's business approach. The heavy handed way in which they try to force people to use their hardware etc. IMO, if you want people to buy your hardware (or software), just make sure it is the best and is fairly priced. Everything else is a sign you are failing at one or both of those things. (And I say that as a PT HD 10/11 owner and user).

PS: I voted Cubase on Windows.

Alistair
πŸ“ Reply