The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Ultimate DAW Poll 2014/2015
View Poll Results: Your favourite DAW for 2014/2015 is...
Bitwig OS X
18 Votes - 1.08%
Ableton Live OS X
78 Votes - 4.70%
Adobe Audition OS X
2 Votes - 0.12%
Apple Logic OS X
301 Votes - 18.14%
Ardour OS X
1 Votes - 0.06%
Avid Pro Tools TDM OS X
21 Votes - 1.27%
Avid Pro Tools HDX OS X
35 Votes - 2.11%
Avid Pro Tools Native OS X
94 Votes - 5.67%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc, OS X
9 Votes - 0.54%
Cockos Reaper OS X
56 Votes - 3.38%
Harrison Mixbus OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Magix Samplitude
18 Votes - 1.08%
Mackie Tracktion OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Motu Digital Performer OS X
43 Votes - 2.59%
PreSonus Studio One OS X
51 Votes - 3.07%
Propellerhead Record/Reason OS X
14 Votes - 0.84%
Steinberg Cubase OS X
77 Votes - 4.64%
Steinberg Nuendo OS X
6 Votes - 0.36%
Pyramix OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Sound Forge OS X
0 Votes - 0%
Bitwig WINDOWS
11 Votes - 0.66%
Ableton Live Windows
62 Votes - 3.74%
Adobe Audition Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Avid Pro Tools TDM Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools HDX Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Avid Pro Tools Native Windows
34 Votes - 2.05%
Avid Pro Tools LE etc Windows
5 Votes - 0.30%
Cakewalk Sonar Windows
78 Votes - 4.70%
Cockos Reaper Windows
145 Votes - 8.74%
Harrison Mixbus Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Image Line Fruity Loops Windows
35 Votes - 2.11%
Magix Samplitude Windows
21 Votes - 1.27%
Magix Sequoia Windows
15 Votes - 0.90%
Mackie Tracktion Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
Motu Digital Performer Windows
3 Votes - 0.18%
PreSonus Studio One Windows
93 Votes - 5.61%
Propellerhead Record/Reason Windows
11 Votes - 0.66%
Sony Creative Software Acid Windows
4 Votes - 0.24%
Steinberg Cubase Windows
244 Votes - 14.71%
Steinberg Nuendo Windows
29 Votes - 1.75%
Pyramix Windows
7 Votes - 0.42%
Sadie Windows
6 Votes - 0.36%
Sound Forge Windows
2 Votes - 0.12%
Voters: 1659. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st January 2016
  #541
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'm about to set up an "ultimate" poll for 2016/2017, and consider adding these:

WaveLab
BitWig Linux
Ardour Linux
Mixcraft (Sagan Technology)
Paris
Audacity
Vegas
SAWStudio
FruitLoops Mac
Pro Tools TDM / Pro Tools HDX / Pro Tools HD Native / Pro Tools (other)
Audio Mulch
Vegas
Fairlight
SSL SoundScape

Which of these are PC (Mac) only?
Old 1st January 2016
  #542
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
....and what about Mu-Lab, Buzz, Zynewave Podium, ReNoise, Orion, Nanostudio, MixMan, NI Maschine, OhmStudio, Caustic?
Old 1st January 2016 | Show parent
  #543
Deleted fa7843c
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
....and what about Mu-Lab, Buzz, Zynewave Podium, ReNoise, Orion, Nanostudio, MixMan, NI Maschine, OhmStudio, Caustic?
Nativeaudio, it might be a good idea to include FL on the Mac, though it has been in Alpha for ages it seems, so their will be a ramp up if and when it does get officially released.

As for the others, perhaps you could include Maschine, though it very limited in its scope, and as you know it can be a plugin with another DAW.

The Linux DAWs make good sense, thus supporting a whole Linux section.
Old 1st January 2016
  #544
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Some of the DAWs in the KVR poll (Your host/DAW of choice (Poll) | KVR Audio Forum) got more votes than some of the DAWs we have in this poll here on GS, which is why I consider including them, with the exception of the DAWs which didn't get a single vote in the KVR poll.

There are DAWs out there which I haven't heard of, so if any of you have any opinions about which you think we should include – or about which of them that are PC/Linux ir Windows only) – please let know asap.

Re. Pro Tools, would it be a good idea - in addition to separating PC and Mac votes - to have these four subgroups : Pro Tools TDM, Pro Tools HDX, Pro Tools HD Native, Pro Tools (other)? What do you think?
Old 1st January 2016 | Show parent
  #545
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeaudio ➑️
Some of the DAWs in the KVR poll (Your host/DAW of choice (Poll) | KVR Audio Forum) got more votes than some of the DAWs we have in this poll here on GS, which is why I consider including them, with the exception of the DAWs which didn't get a single vote in the KVR poll.

There are DAWs out there which I haven't heard of, so if any of you have any opinions about which you think we should include – or about which of them that are PC/Linux ir Windows only) – please let know asap.

Re. Pro Tools, would it be a good idea - in addition to separating PC and Mac votes - to have these four subgroups : Pro Tools TDM, Pro Tools HDX, Pro Tools HD Native, Pro Tools (other)? What do you think?
Boy, you're not wasting time, ;-). Re Pro Tools, I think it would render your poll too "heavy"(don't know if it's the right word) if you consider all the other entries you want to add. Is it really useful to know what hardware setup PT users have. And, quite frankly, PT is by far the most used program in the pro world and your poll doesn't show that. Every forum has its user base more geared toward such and such. Synthopia web site has Live as the most popular DAW, for example, and here it's not so popular in the poll you started last year.

KA
Old 2nd January 2016 | Show parent
  #546
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict ➑️
Boy, you're not wasting time, ;-).
Or rather, the opposite... This is my way of wasting time. :-)

Quote:
Is it really useful to know what hardware setup PT users have.
Not "hardware setup" as such, with details about audio interfaces and all that. But - and this has popped up in earlier discussions about these polls - it's kind of interesting to (for some of us) to see "how things develop" in terms of native/DSP based use of DAWs for professionals.

Quote:
PT is by far the most used program in the pro world and your poll doesn't show that.
Deja vu... :-) The "pro world" isn't only about people who make their living by running commercial studios. Most pros I know, including a number of people like myself who relied on PT hardware when DSP was the only professional option, today rely on something else.

Some people edit audio, some compose, some produce, some arrange - and so on. So if we talk about DAW use in general, including pro use, we can't look only at those companies who are renting out studio time if the topic is "pro" and DAW use".

Nevertheless, I agree: the outcome of a poll on a forum like this doesn't necessarily reflect the sum of what all the different kind of (pro or amateur) DAW users out there actually use.

Anyway - here's the 2016/2017 poll:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...16-2017-a.html
Old 2nd January 2016 | Show parent
  #547
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KorgAddict ➑️
And, quite frankly, PT is by far the most used program in the pro world and your poll doesn't show that.
PT is the most used DAW in the commercial recording studio and movie post production scene in the West. It is however just not selling new product in sufficient numbers to maintain market share.

But I have the sales figures for OTC sales in Europe (so on-line sales not included, just shop sales) and CuBase is running away with the market. PT Edu is quite popular and still sells, but the full version is now well behind every other major DAW in sales. It is even slightly behind Nuendo, which considering that Nuendo is three times as expensive, rather surprising.

I have never come across anybody using Nuendo on an amateur basis, so for it to out-pace PT may be a sign that professionals really are switching.
Old 2nd January 2016 | Show parent
  #548
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Byre ➑️
PT is the most used DAW in the commercial recording studio and movie post production scene in the West. It is however just not selling new product in sufficient numbers to maintain market share.

But I have the sales figures for OTC sales in Europe (so on-line sales not included, just shop sales) and CuBase is running away with the market. PT Edu is quite popular and still sells, but the full version is now well behind every other major DAW in sales. It is even slightly behind Nuendo, which considering that Nuendo is three times as expensive, rather surprising.

I have never come across anybody using Nuendo on an amateur basis, so for it to out-pace PT may be a sign that professionals really are switching.
Cool but I would guess it's hard to have a clear view of the market if you don't have the web sales. If I take myself as an example, I updated PT through AVoID web shop, of course Logic is only sold through the mac app store, I can only buy UAD plugins on their web shop, I upgraded to Rapture Pro on Cakewalk web shop, etc. I don't remember the last time I bought a software product in a real store. And not because I don't want to but because the "deals" were available only through web shops everytime...

KA
Old 3rd January 2016
  #549
Gear Addict
 
db9091's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I'm currently in a cross between Reaper and Logic Pro X. I'm going back and forth. I love editing in Reaper much much better. Very intuitive. But there is a simplicity to LPX that I like better than Reaper. Both have gotten complex with non-intuitive interface for finding things, so you just gotta work with one of them long enough.

But which one....

Still deciding. I'm on a Mac exclusively now so that was the impetus for trying LPX. But their help is atrocious. Reaper has a much better help forum and company response to your queries. And it's very much cheaper, haha.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 609901
Avatar for smoke
smoke 4 days ago
replies: 97 views: 36533
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 295 views: 71150
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 176471
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump