What is that daw controller/mixer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is that daw controller/mixer?
Old 26th August 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What is that daw controller/mixer?

Hello everybody,

I am very curious what is the name of that white mixer or controller with lcd displays on a picture below.

Old 26th August 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
That company AEQ make broadcast desks so it's probably not a DAW controller. Nothing on their site about it though.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It is a LAWO Sapphire configurable desk for broadcasting.

I just recently did a quick little google research on this desk/controller, with view for using it as a DAW control surface, and from what I can gather it is a controller for a range of broadcast software and hardware products with preamps / I/O`s / digital and analog routing / and a bunch of broadcast functions that mostly would not be of any interest for people with a music DAW setup. So it basically turns into a digital broadcast mixing console/controller. However, what is interesting is that it's supposed to have optional HUI protocol support, so technically you should be able to control your DAW like you would with any normal HUI DAW controllers as Mackie MCU, Behringer BCF200, Tascam US-2400 etc etc. The Sapphire is configurable with motorized touch sensitive faders in banks of four, with a relatively neat and compact footprint and would make a very cool fader control surface for a DAW based studio.

Ok, thats all good but what about the price. Broadcast equipment generally tends to be quite expensive, as products outside the consumer market usually are, and the LAWO stuff seems to be no exception; from what I can't tell out of this 2010 catalogue is that a configuration with 12 faders + centre section would start from 20.000 euro… If this is just the control surface or if it includes any other hardware/software is hard to tell from the catalogue, regardless i guess it gives an idea of the price range of the unit. What the price would be pr 2013 would be great to know so if anyone has a price list for the LAWO products please chime in.

Thech specs: Lawo sapphire

Also have a look at this catalogue:

http://www.lawo.de/fileadmin/content...2012_13_en.pdf

Other LAWO mixers that seems to support the HUI control is the larger format digital broadcast consoles MC266 and the MC290 which would probably cost more than a mansion. Sexy though…

However another small LAWO desk that seems to have HUI support and that is worth maybe having a look at is the configurable desk Zirkon, which seems to be similar but a little simpler than the Sapphire, and maybe??? it would also be less expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
What is that daw controller/mixer?-screen-shot-2013-09-10-4.53.54-pm.jpg   What is that daw controller/mixer?-screen-shot-2013-09-10-6.03.33-pm.png   What is that daw controller/mixer?-screen-shot-2013-09-10-5.43.01-pm.png  
📝 Reply