The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
* WARNING * - Do NOT install new iLok software!
Old 22nd February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoli ➡️
deft_bonz, thanks for the info. It appears ILok License Manager needs a clean OS X system without extensions, or additional device drivers to work really well. That's my guess.
Guess away all you want, but it works just as well on my 2008 Mac Pro with 2 OS upgrades and tons of drivers, extensions and apps as on my brand new 2013 nMP with Mavericks.
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok, so I apologize in advance if this a stupid question but how do you know if you "NEED" the new driver. Is it for certain plugins?

I had an older version of ILM that was working fine for a while then it started having trouble finding licenses and making my computer restart. As soon as I uninstalled it my computer was fine but the new version won't install, I get an error message near the end at the same spot every time.

All I know is I'll be happy the day I don't need Ilok anymore. It's incredibly frustrating.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x ➡️
What the **** is all this, really? Software with font bugs?

I've been in this thread for longer than i can remember, i still havent dared to install ilok, got VBC all paid for an unopened for 6 months now!!
This is a legit issue since Pace said other users encountered it. But your Font Book can easily be fixed up to get the ILok Manager to run with fonts being visible. For me I could use another laptop machine to do the authorization of the plugin on the ILok2, then just insert the ILok2 and run. So it wasn't as bad a bug as I thought, but still a bug.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➡️
Guess away all you want, but it works just as well on my 2008 Mac Pro with 2 OS upgrades and tons of drivers, extensions and apps as on my brand new 2013 nMP with Mavericks.
I'm glad you're one of the lucky ones, but I had no option but to "guess" since no fonts showed up and also due to the following from their site.
https://www.ilok.com/helpmyilok.html
"If the above information has been attempted and the same behavior occurs, please try connecting your iLok from another Windows or Macintosh system with a different Internet connection. If your iLok shows as a connected iLok in iLok License Manager, you'll know your system has an error."
So they obviously had issues with system software on certain machines...
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wiped the drive and installed windows 8.1 and new iLok manager all is perfect. I wanted to report back....

Thanks!
John
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
^ Installed the latest Softube versions and they wouldn't run until I installed the latest ILM.. I nearly made it 2 years without having to update my iLok driver..

Don't know if it was a needed workaround, but I had backed up my OS drive before the updating so I was feeling adventurous...

Also used ILM on an internet-connected laptop and consolidated all my licenses onto a single iLok; I had avoided connected my original iLok after first hearing word of the ILM software coming about..

As always YMMV and good luck!
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Please insert an authorized iLok and press the "OK" button to continue using Blackhole. Press "Cancel" to stop using this product.

Note that this product requires a second-generation iLok.

I have big iLok problems after installing the latest OSX update yesterday
Old 28th February 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Good luck...... *most* seem to have no problems these days, advice tends to be use another computer to update lisences on the ilok, then just swithc ilok to the DAW machine. Either way sounds like it's worth putting aside a good few hours to get your stuff up and running again, follow all the step by step advice out there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by acidrulez ➡️
Please insert an authorized iLok and press the "OK" button to continue using Blackhole. Press "Cancel" to stop using this product.

Note that this product requires a second-generation iLok.

I have big iLok problems after installing the latest OSX update yesterday
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Maniac

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm having a problem outside of the new ilok manager. I just got the new kush audio pusher and everything seems to be fine as far as the ilok licenses being valid and loading into the software. They are all activated and everything seems normal, until I try to open logic 9 and the plug in fails every time I try to validate the plug in through the audio units manager. Any help?
Old 31st March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I just bought the Lexicon PCM Reverb bundle yesterday and it seems it needs ilok2. I'm on Win 7 x64, got an ilok1 and the old drivers (from 2011 ?).

1 - Do i have to uninstall the old softwares before (iLok Client Helper, and interLok driver setup x64) ? They never say that anywhere, never ever.
2 - Am i correct if i install the IM software, then transfer all my previous licenses on my online account, then transfer them to the new iLok2, then add the Lexicon license ?

Thanks for your feedback, Windows users !
Old 31st March 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm in the same boat, would like to be clearer what, if anything, I need to uninstall before loading the new manager software (also have original ilok from 2011 or so).
Old 31st March 2014
Motown legend

🎧 20 years
I always uninstall. On one of my systems there was a bit left over but it didn't seem to cause any problems. Be sure to check the site for traffic with a browser to be sure it isn't too congested before trying to do anything complex. Then check the number of authorizations on your ilock before logging in and then after. If they don't agree, you need to then do a sync repair on the ilock which is a right click option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thanks Bob !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this fixed yet? Can I install new iLok software now (April 2014)?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
There are still isolated cases of weirdness, but the vast majority of users are having no problems now.
Old 1st April 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
Yep, It's fixed for the moment.

I'm sure ... behind the curtains, the next disaster is already in the works ...

Just a heads up ... don't feel too save ... keep making backups !

Jan
Old 15th April 2014 | Show parent
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _dada_ ➡️
Just a heads up ... don't feel too save ... keep making backups !

Absolutely, it is bordering on foolish to not be backing up every day, because things can and do fail or go haywire all the time.

This was true before iLok, it'll be true long after iLok.

Simple file-based backups daily (Time Machine et al)

Bootable clone-based backups weekly (Carbon Copy Cloner et al)

That way, even if you have catastrophic hård drive failure you can be back up and running in minutes with the bootable clone. Your OS, all your apps, all your plugins, system add-ons, all your non-dongle copy protection... everything is on that clone and restored instantly, it saves days of restoration work and headaches.

Then you use the file-based backups as needed, to restore individual files/directories that you changed since making that last clone.

It's the professional thing to do... and I strongly advocate being a professional, even if your only client is you.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 15th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k ➡️
Absolutely, it is bordering on foolish to not be backing up every day, because things can and do fail or go haywire all the time.

This was true before iLok, it'll be true long after iLok.

Simple file-based backups daily (Time Machine et al)

Bootable clone-based backups weekly (Carbon Copy Cloner et al)

That way, even if you have catastrophic hård drive failure you can be back up and running in minutes with the bootable clone. Your OS, all your apps, all your plugins, system add-ons, all your non-dongle copy protection... everything is on that clone and restored instantly, it saves days of restoration work and headaches.

Then you use the file-based backups as needed, to restore individual files/directories that you changed since making that last clone.

It's the professional thing to do... and I strongly advocate being a professional, even if your only client is you.

Gregory Scott - ubk

I may also add: Geographical separation of the backup discs. So do two backups of the same drive (file based and OS). One of it you store at another place (e.g. at home). If it burns or a thieve robs all your computer equipment including the USB-harddrive-hub, you still have a new system set up in (almost) no time (you still have to get a new iMac, harddrives, etc. ).

Even better: Do a third copy to a online storage. In this case the OS clone or very important business documents would be suffice. Or you have enough storage for all your projects

I keep daily file based backups of the ongoing projects. Finished projects older than 6 months I move to two archive harddrives (one in the studio, the other at home) and just leave the master files.
Old 17th April 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Arrow

Just saw this thread on DUC.
Seems to be safest not to sync the Ilok key until further notice.
Good to see that Avid will contact Pace to see whats going on.

my cranesong phoenix was stolen from me by ilok - Avid Pro Audio Community

Dan
Old 17th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Eriksson ➡️
Just saw this thread on DUC.
Seems to be safest not to sync the Ilok key until further notice.
Good to see that Avid will contact Pace to see whats going on.

my cranesong phoenix was stolen from me by ilok - Avid Pro Audio Community

Dan
I think if you haven't gotten licenses from sketchy Russian ebay sellers, you don't have much to worry about.
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Maybe the problem is not the ILok itself but the company (Pace) that is supposed to make the user experience acceptable? On the other hand, as a user you will get more and more alternatives each month, so there is no need for anyone to buy plugins that are ILok only. I do have two Iloks but haven't updated yet, and chose to not get the latest stuff from Slate and will stay away until Pace will guarantee 100 % zero downtime... Until then I am happy with other alteratives. NO plugin company is unreplaceable.
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Lol...

I'm dumbfounded that people still use iLok related anything. Willingly giving this kind of control to any company is bizzare.

That thread over at Avid has people having licenses removed and claim they bought them directly from Waves.

SSL exploit perhaps.
Old 18th April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz ➡️
I think if you haven't gotten licenses from sketchy Russian ebay sellers, you don't have much to worry about.
That was my first thought too when reading that thread, but if you continue on, you'll see lots of other people are losing long-standing supposedly legit licenses. Something else seems to be going on.

EDIT: PACE just responded that all the licences they're deleting were not legit transfers...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider ➡️
EDIT: PACE just responded that all the licences they're deleting were not legit transfers...
OK ...
BUT : the Pace system erroneously created the duplicated licenses !
... and Pace will not refund the $25,- transfer fees !

This is just the next fvck up, in their never ending history of disasters ...

JAn
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionscage ➡️
Maybe the problem is not the ILok itself but the company (Pace) that is supposed to make the user experience acceptable? On the other hand, as a user you will get more and more alternatives each month, so there is no need for anyone to buy plugins that are ILok only. I do have two Iloks but haven't updated yet, and chose to not get the latest stuff from Slate and will stay away until Pace will guarantee 100 % zero downtime... Until then I am happy with other alteratives. NO plugin company is unreplaceable.

It sounds like your complaint is more political than anything else. There are NO guarantees of zero downtime from any company. That's impossible across all systems. Aside from the hiccups at the beginning of the transition to the new system (during which I was not kept from any of my licenses except Pro Tools 11, which wasn't a huge hardship because my favorite plugins weren't 64 bit AAX yet), I have experienced exactly zero downtime (which is your metric by which to judge these things) and I see no reason to abandon Pro Tools, Exponential Audio, Metric Halo, or a number of other plugins I love and function perfectly across all the machines on which I choose to use them just because some people have personal ideological issues. In talking to the presidents of some of these companies, I have found that they think PACE has been very reliable for them and their word carries a lot more weight than someone who doesn't even use their own name on an internet bulletin board. If it's not working for them, they lose money. Some of them have even gone to iLok pretty recently, after using other systems, so there has to be a reason for that. I'd be shocked if B.J. Buchalter chose a scheme that is screwing his customers as he has gone out of his way to chose to do nothing but the best for them since he started his company. iLok certainly is more convenient than the proprietary system they used to use.

As a user, there are other plugins without PACE, but not always the ones I want. I don't find plugins to be generic. One reverb, compressor, or EQ doesn't sound the same as another. You can make your choices as you see fit. I find PACE far less intrusive and annoying than the IK Multimedia BS I put up with for so long. I had to reauthorize every few weeks, which was a big PITA, far more than PACE has ever been for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1200 ➡️
I'm dumbfounded that people still use iLok related anything. Willingly giving this kind of control to any company is bizzare.
This sounds like a political statement, too. There's nothing bizarre about using something that works. I'm getting the sense you think that maybe my "liberty" is being threatened by using PACE!

Almost every piece of software you use is given to you subject to a license. As such, that license can be revoked or altered by the owners of the software. They have a huge amount of control because you don't have ownership rights to their software, they do. You accepted that control over you when you clicked Agree during the installation. Willingly. Do you ever read these user agreements? It's not in their best interests to revoke or alter the license, but usually they still retain the right to do so. And most of them also contain language that explicitly states that there is no guarantee or liability for lack of functionality or if you suffer damages because their software screws up (like, if you use mastering software that creates a defect that renders thousands of copies of a CD flawed. Check out the Sonoris license. Or Sonic Studio. From their license agreement: "THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE RESULTS AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SONIC STUDIO SOFTWARE IS ASSUMED BY YOU."). This is the nature of the software world. They have the control. You work with this stuff under their terms.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Certainly I'm aware of EULA (my personal views on EULA aside), but I do not have any software on my computer that can be remotely deleted after I have paid for it, or if I did and this happened, I would never pay for their product again, especially if I obtained the software through an authorised transfer approved by the company.

Nor would I engage the services of a company that could or would do this after witnessing it.

If you're comfortable with having iLok on your system that's your choice and your dollars. I've read this thread for many months and the arguments from supporters and detractors are strong. For me, whatever gains iLok gives you (I can't think of many) do not outweigh the noose they slip over your neck.

I'm just not comfortable in dealing with a company that can reach into your account or physical iLok or local computer and unilaterally deleting your purchases after authorising them for use.

It doesn't seem that these licenses were pirated. If they are somehow duplicates, they should pursue the seller. ILok appears to have authorised the transfer and collected a fee.

If that's political so be it.

From what's out there so far, it appears some users purchased licenced products through Avid, Waves etc and other private sellers. iLok servers create a duplicate through some error and aurhorize your paid copy.

ILok realizes a year later and breaks into your house and takes your paid product back then sends you an email telling you what they did.

They also swiped the $25 you had sitting on your counter.

If that's a company you want to deal with, as stated above that's your choice.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1200 ➡️
If that's political so be it.
Just about everything in life is political. The fact that we can have this free and open discussion right now is thanks to generations of people who fought for their right to do so. Anyone who can't see this might want to spend some time in North Korea.
Lives for gear

The point is.... It is absolutely unforgivable that Pace cripples software that has been legitimately purchased. Peoples livelihoods depend on their tools functioning when and where they need them. It's not politics it an existential reality.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
no ilok ever for me.
more people should demand this.
i think its ridiculous.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The thing is, I want to buy Revoice Pro soon, which afaik is only available on iLok. What can people do?

If I buy straight from Syncrosoft would it be safe, are the only problems people are having related to resales from 3rd parties?
Closed