Better Pres Scarlett 2i4 vs Scarlett 8i6/6i6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Better Pres Scarlett 2i4 vs Scarlett 8i6/6i6
Old 2nd June 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Better Pres Scarlett 2i4 vs Scarlett 8i6/6i6

Scarlett 2i2/2i4 or Scarlett 8i6/6i6

Which one of these have better mic. pre-amps or do they all have the same ones?

any other interface you'd suggest that are similar two these but would have better mic. pres

Thanks
Old 12th August 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Kind of old, but thought I post for future viewers.
The 2i2 and 2i4 mic preamps only have 55 dB of gain. While all the larger ones 6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20 have 60 dB of gain. Pretty much the same quality, just the larger ones have more gain. Which is something to consider if you are getting a low output mic like the Shure SM7b or ribbons. But depending on your preference you might want a dedicated mic pre anyways, so it is up to you.

Other good USB audio interfaces that might be better overall are the M Audio C400 and C600, Mackie Blackjack, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, Steinberg UR22 and Roland Quad Capture. (NOTE: Either the UR22, Quad Capture or Komplete Audio 6 is not compatible with 64-bit Operating Systems, do research before getting)

I personally decided to go with the Focusrite Scarlett (8i6). You decide what is best for you. All should be great quality.

Better yet, said to be the best quality in the lower end AI's, try to find a used Apogee One or Duet (1 or 2 mic pres), it's supposed to be better than all in every aspect, but make sure you get the right one, there are some for Firewire and some for USB. And there is the Focusrite Forte, which is similar to the Apogee, but right now there are not many used ones for cheap.
Old 28th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Started ➡️
Kind of old, but thought I post for future viewers.
The 2i2 and 2i4 mic preamps only have 55 dB of gain. While all the larger ones 6i6, 8i6, 18i6, 18i8 and 18i20 have 60 dB of gain. Pretty much the same quality, just the larger ones have more gain. Which is something to consider if you are getting a low output mic like the Shure SM7b or ribbons. But depending on your preference you might want a dedicated mic pre anyways, so it is up to you.

Other good USB audio interfaces that might be better overall are the M Audio C400 and C600, Mackie Blackjack, Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, Steinberg UR22 and Roland Quad Capture. (NOTE: Either the UR22, Quad Capture or Komplete Audio 6 is not compatible with 64-bit Operating Systems, do research before getting)

I personally decided to go with the Focusrite Scarlett (8i6). You decide what is best for you. All should be great quality.

Better yet, said to be the best quality in the lower end AI's, try to find a used Apogee One or Duet (1 or 2 mic pres), it's supposed to be better than all in every aspect, but make sure you get the right one, there are some for Firewire and some for USB. And there is the Focusrite Forte, which is similar to the Apogee, but right now there are not many used ones for cheap.

How would you describe the difference of 5db gain in recording? Substantial/doable/little?
📝 Reply