The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
best native channel strip
Old 27th May 2013

🎧 5 years
best native channel strip

hi
Im trying to upgrade my mixdowns with some quality channel strip plugins...

Im working exclusively on program material, electronic music atm

Im testing Duende Native Essential (including bus comp) and Urs CSS Pro...
and Im curious about API and SSL Waves collection as well

My first impressions are that I feel more comfortable with SSL... the GUI is simpler and also the results are better... URS web page looks also it is not up to date so Im worry about future compatibility issues...

Another option is to consider some outboard gear... there's some interesting gear at affordable prices... (I heard good things about FMR compressors) but unfortunately I'm working on a laptop system (MacBook Pro +Duet2) so Im not sure how it would be convenient in terms of workflow and connections...

tnx in advance,
Old 27th May 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'd say the waves SSL E channel strip is my my go to plug in. Always seem to find a use for it in a mix. And I could always be sure that when I bring my mix to another studio the session will recall with no problems. I love the URS stuff and it sounds great, but unfortunately a lot of studios don't seem to have them.
Old 27th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt1974 ➑️
hi
Im trying to upgrade my mixdowns with some quality channel strip plugins...

Im working exclusively on program material, electronic music atm

Im testing Duende Native Essential (including bus comp) and Urs CSS Pro...
and Im curious about API and SSL Waves collection as well

My first impressions are that I feel more comfortable with SSL... the GUI is simpler and also the results are better... URS web page looks also it is not up to date so Im worry about future compatibility issues...

Another option is to consider some outboard gear... there's some interesting gear at affordable prices... (I heard good things about FMR compressors) but unfortunately I'm working on a laptop system (MacBook Pro +Duet2) so Im not sure how it would be convenient in terms of workflow and connections...

tnx in advance,
My favorite!
ChannelStrip 3
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge22 ➑️
I'd say the waves SSL E channel strip is my my go to plug in. Always seem to find a use for it in a mix. And I could always be sure that when I bring my mix to another studio the session will recall with no problems. I love the URS stuff and it sounds great, but unfortunately a lot of studios don't seem to have them.
is it ssl e channel strip by waves available separately? tnx
Old 27th May 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmx16 ➑️
My favorite!
ChannelStrip 3
im going to check it tnx
Old 28th May 2013

🎧 5 years
any other comments especially for URS CSS Pro... the price is really interesting now though Im not sure about the company status and their support services...
Old 28th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt1974 ➑️
any other comments especially for URS CSS Pro... the price is really interesting now though Im not sure about the company status and their support services...
URS support is hit or miss at best! Sent them numerous emails about an issue I was having with some of their plugs and never got a response!

Metric Halo Labs on the other hand got back to me the day I called them! Actually talked to a real person! YMMV
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Urs is ok, works fine, fairly versatile sounds alright.

Metric halo channelstrip is a must have. Great SSL style snappy compression, decent EQ, good gate with sidechain.

Duende always gets good reviews. Waves ssl is fine too, although I'd personally go MH.
Old 28th May 2013

🎧 10 years
I use UAD2 SSL E series channel strip and UAD2 Neve 88RS too. I've tried others like the Waves SSL channel strip but UAD2's just sounds better to me.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmx16 ➑️
URS support is hit or miss at best! Sent them numerous emails about an issue I was having with some of their plugs and never got a response!

Metric Halo Labs on the other hand got back to me the day I called them! Actually talked to a real person! YMMV
sounds good... tbh I dont like the interface on first sight but if the sound quality and interaction is good that's makes the difference

...and for a good price as well.

tnx guys

ps: still testing the duende... I'm going to focus on urs css pro in the next few days as the demo licence expires shortly and I need to found out how the urs different vintage emulations work on bass

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
I use UAD2 SSL E series channel strip and UAD2 Neve 88RS too. I've tried others like the Waves SSL channel strip but UAD2's just sounds better to me.
I wish I could consider UAD2 also in terms of a less cpu hungry workflow but my budget is not at this level :(
Old 28th May 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The RenChannel from waves still gets a lot of use around here. Not sexy and new, but does the job and pretty much everyone has it.
Old 28th May 2013
Gee
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
another vote for MH Channel Strip. Sounds great and everything is there. you get used to the interface
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FOA, you will not upgrade mixdowns JUST with some quality channel strip plugins. Even more: i might assure you that there are lot of good mixes made without channelstrips, or at least without that what we mean by this term.
Anyhow, MH is really great. But many engineers prefer modular approach - different EQs, different dynamic FXs for different tasks/tracks, which is very affordable and easy in DSP world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeckitup ➑️
The RenChannel from waves still gets a lot of use around here. Not sexy and new, but does the job and pretty much everyone has it.
Yup, same here - RenChannel has been a go-to plugin for me for years. Although, I find my using the Waves SSL channel strips quite a bit as well.
Old 28th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves SSL E Channel
Old 29th May 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor ➑️
FOA, you will not upgrade mixdowns JUST with some quality channel strip plugins. Even more: i might assure you that there are lot of good mixes made without channelstrips, or at least without that what we mean by this term.
Anyhow, MH is really great. But many engineers prefer modular approach - different EQs, different dynamic FXs for different tasks/tracks, which is very affordable and easy in DSP world.
I know what you mean... it's all about work habits. I find out that it could be helpul to improve my mixes... I dont use much eq and compression when Im modelling my samples (with a 'modular approach' like you said... so I was thinking about to add some extra touches when mixing down the tracks... that's all. and there are other good ways to use a channel strip plugin as well...

Anyway thank you all for the suggestions... much appreciated... it looks like that there's a lot of people supporting waves... I need to test them!
Old 29th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You should also consider t-racks white Channel. Very good SSL emulation.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 ➑️
tnx I didn't know the world of vintage emulation is so big... poor me I think the decision will be even more complicated...
Old 29th May 2013
GS Community Manager

+1 to Duende.

The Wave Arts TrackPlug is also used a lot around here. It's not a sexy option but it's versatile, it sounds good, it's reliable and the company support is superb.

Often though the reason I use a dedicated channelstrip is because I'm in a hurry. Sometimes it's just better to build your own channel strip out of your favourite single-purpose plug-ins. Far more customisable that way obviously.

Softube is making some really cool stuff as well if you're into the emulations.
Old 29th May 2013

🎧 10 years
There are many good options out there. But as it was pointed before there are also good EQ, compressor and gate plug-ins out there too. You don't really need a channel strip plug-in to get stuff done. A plug-in that I would advise you is FreeG which is as you might guess free and will help you with metering and gain structure in your projects.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 ➑️
Just tried this out... super good. Beats any URS etc. hands down. Don't really know about the comp, but the EQ sounds gorgeous with oversampling on.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 ➑️
Just tried this out... super good. Beats any URS etc. hands down. Don't really know about the comp, but the EQ sounds gorgeous with oversampling on.
Damn, I even didnt know that SSL9000 channel strip exist other than from Duende. I will need to check this out definitely!
Old 29th May 2013

🎧 5 years
tnx for all the tips... to build your own channel strip is a good one in logic you can easily save and recall them but Im still curious to find a single plugin that meets my needs...
Old 29th May 2013

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
theres also the t-racks british channel which is another very nice channel strip
Old 29th May 2013

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
speaking of the british and white channels, does anyone here own both?
im curious how the compressors are in relation to each othere
is one better than the other?
Old 30th May 2013

🎧 5 years
first impressions again... urs css pro seems very reactive but the amount of compression used in their presets can drive you easily in the wrong direction... good news is that the gui is not so complicated like I thought on the first sight... anyway I tried the 1970 presets corresponding to the ssl emulation and I got this feeling that in terms of sound the duende version is better. so Im ready for the next one... t racks, waves and mh are the candidates...
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Erm....... You mean 1980 mode for ssl.
Old 30th May 2013 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated ➑️
Erm....... You mean 1980 mode for ssl.
oops sorry my mistake but yes I tested their 1980 presets...
Old 3rd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Those who have used/heard the SSL9000, do you think the White Channel sounds close to the real deal?
πŸ“ Reply