Some Hard disk questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Some Hard disk questions
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some Hard disk questions

Hey Guys,

couple of questions. First of all, is it possible to un partion a drive while keeping data intact and problem free? Second of all is there a limit to how many drives you should have in a system?

Also is it possible to set the drives up as a raid system without disrupting data, is raid system reccomended for internal drives if one is acting as a session drive, the other sound library and the other system etc ?

And last, is it possible to tell if a drive is sata2 or sata3 by just looking at the drive?

Thanks guys!!
Old 19th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Im a PC repair tech when not recording so I feel the need to chime in here lol. You cannot have data on a drive that has no partition. To "unpartition" a drive would be the equivalent of erasing it.

The only limit to internal drive is the number of sata connections you have (you can even add sata pci cards, but then you would be splitting the pci bus between added drives and you interface)

Having DAW/OS on one drive and audio recorded to another is a basic necessity, RAID is a backup method that creates redundancy in your disks if one should fail (google raid0) if you can afford the extra drives it's very good to do.

To figure out sata2 or sata3 youll have to reference the part number in the mfg website, some discs might reference the speed on the top label but its not likely.

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 19th May 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Oh also in regard to raid. I wouldnt worry about it for your os drive so long as you keep copies of all your licenses on hand, mostly useful for those irreplacable project files and takes. But to create a raid array the disk partition table has to be rewritten a specific way, and it can't be done without erasing data. (Be careful if you find any programs claiming they can, i wouldnt trust them to not corrupt the data. You are better off getting an external drive and doing a temporary backup.)

Sent from my DROIDX
Old 19th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment ➑️
couple of questions. First of all, is it possible to un partion a drive while keeping data intact and problem free?
No. You'll have to backup the data first. For an OS, you will need to create a backup image, not just copy data.

Quote:
Second of all is there a limit to how many drives you should have in a system?
Practically no. You can add SATA/RAID controllers as long as you have PCIe slots.

Quote:
Also is it possible to set the drives up as a raid system without disrupting data,
RAID 1 (redundancy), yes. RAID 0 and RAID 5 require striping, which will erase all data on all drives.

Quote:
is raid system reccomended for internal drives if one is acting as a session drive, the other sound library and the other system etc ?
Never mix system with audio, unless you have an SSD which additonally can be used to stream samples. You could use a RAID 0 or RAID 5 for all audio tasks, but it does not really do much for audio nowadays compared to single drives..

Quote:
And last, is it possible to tell if a drive is sata2 or sata3 by just looking at the drive?
Search the model in the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaverick52 ➑️
The only limit to internal drive is the number of sata connections you have (you can even add sata pci cards, but then you would be splitting the pci bus between added drives and you interface)
But that is not an issue since audio uses minimal bandwidth.

Quote:
Having DAW/OS on one drive and audio recorded to another is a basic necessity, RAID is a backup method that creates redundancy in your disks if one should fail (google raid0) if you can afford the extra drives it's very good to do.
RAID 0 is not redundancy, it is extra bandwidth and the opposite of redundancy. If one drive fails, ALL data on BOTH drives is lost. RAID 1 is full redundancy and is highly recommended for anyone earning his bread and butter with audio, at least to record to and have the current projects located (with a daily backup of course). With SSDs, be careful, since RAID 1 is not supported by most controllers/SSD combos, and can be a nightmare very easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaverick52 ➑️
But to create a raid array the disk partition table has to be rewritten a specific way, and it can't be done without erasing data.
Correct for RAID 0/5/6/10, but RAID 1 can be created without losing data. Also, most controllers can dissolve RAID 1 without losing data, despite the warning you will get.
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the info guys, ive connected the hard drives i needed to for now, i Have system, Projects and then my sound library. And also a back up drive in a hot swappable bay that goes in front where the cd drives are.

But now im out of sata. I have a pci card with 2 sata connections on on old computer this will allow me hook up sata from externals, id like to connect that also and maybe 1 more drive, im looking at the best way to do it, its hard to believe my old computer had more sata ports available.. I need some help figuring it out lol

Thanks for the detailed answers!
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But do you need more SATA ports? It sounds like you're set up.
Old 19th May 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
But do you need more SATA ports? It sounds like you're set up.
Well id like to connect the pci card to allow me connect externals via sata for faster transfers and id like to get one more drive in i know when i buy the latest Eastwest librarys im going to need the space.

Any suggestions, this is the mobo GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 (rev. 1.1)

Thanks!
Old 20th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So looks like ill have to get a PCIe Expansion card, should i get sata3 even if im not using SSD, i guess its good to futureproof as it is backwards compatible. Also is there a huge difference between a PCIe X1 or x4. Which would be recommended?

Also if i had 2 drives for projects would it be good to set those up as raid in the system?

cheers guys!!
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…