2 Questions: Eq's & Reverb Impulse Responses - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 Questions: Eq's & Reverb Impulse Responses
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
2 Questions: Eq's & Reverb Impulse Responses

Hello fellows!

I was wondering about two things for the last days.
What's all the "hype" beyond the different eq's (especially in the virtual ones)?

In different instances, for different purposes I tend to use different Eq's. The ones I can really hear a major diference are the SSL different models. Some seem to turn the mix a little more square/straight (E Series). The G-Series seem to be more benefic when surgicaly treating the low end frequencies (IMO)

But this is no Vst...I have the SSL Mynx lunchbox with both equalizers.

Now, concerning all other Equalizers I own over my virtual "arsenal".
I really can't find major "tone" diferences from vst to vst.
For me the band equalizer (from Logic), the 8band Eq (from Ableton), Pro-Q (Fabfilter), Waves plugs...all sound pretty exact the same when using them.

For example...let me explain where my doubt is (as I usually use the vst Eq's on ONE instrument only - not on an overall mix).

Usually I use 808 Kickdrums, and for me, they are pretty chalenging tones. If I do a notch under the 47hz and pull the gain up with different plugins...isn't the result the same with diferent band eq plugins? This is just pulling up a frequency...so...it makes no sense that plugins sound "different" when pulling up/down certain frequencies.
Am I being clear here? lolol

What a hell can I do, to really understand/hear/feel the "tone" differences on different Eq's?
If I use a Eq "scheme" in Logic Equalizer, and the exact same "scheme" in PRO-Q...aren't the results exactly the same?

2nd Question:

Recently I got Altiverb, and I must say I'm quite happy with it.
Can I use Impulse Responses from other Reverb plugins onto Altiverb?

Thanks in advance!
Peace :D
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
No one?
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hey off the subject but do yoeru guys know about mixers and interface i currently have lexicon i-o42 and im trying to loop effects form a effect processer.... which i cant do with that interface..wondering if i were to get a mixer would it work the lexicon or would i have to get interface with channel inserts? also if i was to get a usb mixer would it require a interface??
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
About the EQ thing, I'm suggesting you to look for a mega thread that have been running here on and off for couple of years now. I don't recall the exact headline, but it's something like "Does digital eq's boost poorly?" or something like that.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel S ➑️
About the EQ thing, I'm suggesting you to look for a mega thread that have been running here on and off for couple of years now. I don't recall the exact headline, but it's something like "Does digital eq's boost poorly?" or something like that.
I will do it for sure
Although, my question is not about the "poorness" of its boosting.
Ill check it out, thanks!
About the IR, no one?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrogoya ➑️
I will do it for sure
Although, my question is not about the "poorness" of its boosting.
Ill check it out, thanks!
About the IR, no one?
It's much more than this. It goes to any direction you might imagine regarding plugins EQ's.
About Altiverb the answer is yes. You can use your own samples as IRs. You can't do the other way around, though. The Altiverb library can be used only within altiverb itself.

Edit: about Altiverb, check out this video http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EpzNg...NgP8uThs&gl=IL
From around 7:30
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thank You Ariel!
Will surely give it a watch!
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Analog adds a small dose of harmonic distortion , usually secound or other even multiples ; plugs try to emulate this . Boosting is often better with the option to oversample , in fact PSP has an eq plug that just does this automatically when it detects that you are running 44.1 khz to help reduce aliasing. Also the shape of the filter can be quite the variable , many pultec emulations attempt to replicate the resuting curve of using a shelf boost and a bell together for a bass boost without boosting the mid lows to much . in addition , remember that you can get the same filter shape by either boosting an area up , or by simply cutting adjacent areas around the same frequency , the later will not approach possibly using up valuable head room
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you take a look at sonnox or ssl (duende) eq's they let you change the filter (as in the bell) type and show you the behaviors of the analog filters they're modeled after.

Eq's like FF and Eq8 will be/sound the same because they are designed to be neutral. Alloy 2 has a wide selection of modeled filters too, stuff like bandaxall shelves. Pretty sure they have a demo still, worth a look if you are curious.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply!
πŸ“ Reply