Pro Tools HD and Logic on the same machine - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro Tools HD and Logic on the same machine
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Pro Tools HD and Logic on the same machine

Hey guys,

I'm currently running a Pro Tools HD2 Accel rig on an Intel Mac with 8.1.1 software, and I frequently use Logic 9.1.5 as on the same machine -- Logic runs fine, although PT is sometimes buggy. In any event, I'm interested in upgrading to Pro Tools 10, and I'm wondering if Logic will still run.

Does anyone have any experience with Pro Tools HD 10 and Logic 9 on the same Mac? I'm grateful for any insights...thanks! -- JB
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_studio ➑️
Hey guys,

I'm currently running a Pro Tools HD2 Accel rig on an Intel Mac with 8.1.1 software, and I frequently use Logic 9.1.5 as on the same machine -- Logic runs fine, although PT is sometimes buggy. In any event, I'm interested in upgrading to Pro Tools 10, and I'm wondering if Logic will still run.

Does anyone have any experience with Pro Tools HD 10 and Logic 9 on the same Mac? I'm grateful for any insights...thanks! -- JB
It *SHOULD* be fine - I have HD Native/Logic one one machine, and that's all well and good - but if you've got PT bugginess now (you shouldn't have), then there's no guarantees!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That's really good to hear, thanks for the feedback. I didn't have any Pro Tools bugs when I was on 8.0.etc, only when I upgraded to 8.1.1. So I'm hopeful that yet another upgrade will get me over the hurdle. Then again, as you said there are no guarantees...

Thanks again for the info, psycho_monkey! -- JB
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_studio ➑️
That's really good to hear, thanks for the feedback. I didn't have any Pro Tools bugs when I was on 8.0.etc, only when I upgraded to 8.1.1. So I'm hopeful that yet another upgrade will get me over the hurdle. Then again, as you said there are no guarantees...

Thanks again for the info, psycho_monkey! -- JB
No probs, let us know how you get on..
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
HD10 and Logic 9.1.8 running fine together on the same machine here.
The only thing I have an issue with from time to time, is when running both at the same time. I have several control surfaces and occasionally, ProTools will cause Logic's active track to pan. This is due to Logic seeing all of the midi inputs. It's easy to get around, by sending the midi inputs that you don't need (ie midi control surfaces used in ProTools) to a dummy object in Logic's environment.
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx ➑️
HD10 and Logic 9.1.8 running fine together on the same machine here.
The only thing I have an issue with from time to time, is when running both at the same time. I have several control surfaces and occasionally, ProTools will cause Logic's active track to pan. This is due to Logic seeing all of the midi inputs. It's easy to get around, by sending the midi inputs that you don't need (ie midi control surfaces used in ProTools) to a dummy object in Logic's environment.
That sounds like a consequence of your setup! I assumed op was trying to run things one daw at a time - you'd need a separate setup for core audio.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks again guys, this is super helpful. FWIW, I would only be running one program at a time. Cheers -- JB
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes of course. My point is, that it'll be just fine, but if you want to use ProTools HD (ie as a dubber) and LogicPro on the same machine at the same time, you'll need to be aware that Logic sees all midi inputs (including any DAW midi control surfaces), unlike ProTools where you can turn them on and off at will.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey guys,

I did the upgrade and everything seems stable right now: Pro Tools 10.3.3 and Logic 9.1.5 on an HD2 Accel System. Mac Os is 10.6.8.

Thanks for the encouragement! Cheers -- JB
πŸ“ Reply