WD thunderbolt duo with SSD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
WD thunderbolt duo with SSD
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
WD thunderbolt duo with SSD

Hi

Does anybody know if the western digital thunderbolt duo external hard drive will fit and work with SSD drives?

I saw a video where someone used the seagate thunderbolt adapter with a SSD drive, so I'm guessing the same for the wd.

I am aware that if you use the wd with a hard drive that is not a caviar green then your warranty is void.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yes. I have one and you can put any drive or 2 drives in there, mix and match. With an SSD, you either have to carefully wedge it on the connector or use a 3.5" adapter like an icy dock. I just wedged mine on and leave it alone. I got rid of the Green drives and use Velociraptors that I had and a samsung SSD.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Thanks for your reply, I thought you would be able to after seeing the seagate video, so ssd has same connection as a sata.

I have my duo set up as a jbod, would i notice it to be faster if i used it as a raid?

I think these duos are excellent, as you can swap the hard drives, I have been transferring data from usb 2 to the duo and it copies a bit faster than usb 2 to usb 2, but when i copy from one thunderbolt to the other, its so much faster

Amazed at this technology

Thanks
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Does yours become quite noisy after a few hours? I am doing a lot of copying at the moment so it maybe the cause, it's not a disk noise but the unit maybe the fan
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I don't notice any noise outside of the velociraptors spinning, but they are on a shelf under my desk. Certainly raid would be faster than single drives. Also SSD inside the imac runs a bit faster than SSD in TB. Not sure why, it just does.
Old 18th January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi xgman,

Did you mean the Thunderbolt Duo can equip with one or two SSD?

Many thanks.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…