Quantcast
Drums Sounds for Reggae - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drums Sounds for Reggae
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Drums Sounds for Reggae

I´m not sure if i´m exactly right sub. I would like to play drums for reggae tunes via pads, V-Drums and maybe a little programming. But i´m not looking for a modern, more plastic sound like UB40, Inner Circle, oder something like that. More real sounding, maybe rooty. In Austria we say earthy, oder grounded. The problem is that the most librarys are primary for pop, rock and metal. Which are really great for these but they don´t really work with reggae. I use Cubase. So i would need it as a VST-Plugin or samples for a sample player like kontakt or similar. Does someone has experience and/or can recommend me something suitable??
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
See below..
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Toontrack's EZdrummer 'Jazz ezx'?
Toontrack have a sample pack called Roots, but it isn't roots reggae I'm afraid.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get Toontracks Superior Drummer and the expansions Custom & Vintage, and possibly also Joe Barresis "Evil Drums" (3rd party), which would fit the bill I think.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks very much! The Toontracks Custom & Vintage seems to sound quite good. Until now it seems to be the closest to the sound i need in combination with good playability (toontracks seems to have good sound & play quality). The Evil Drums are sounding a bit hollow and/or pale in my ears. Meanwhile i also found this one:
Platinum Samples - Real Reggae
I´m not quite sure about the sound and i´m also really unsure if it´ll be good playable then.
Maybe any others...??
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Real Reggae isn't a sound library, it's midi, although Platinum have included some one shot reggae specific percussion samples with the product.
Give EZX: Jazz a listen - for warm bass drums, ringey toms and bright snares.
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Ups... i think i was looking a little bit too slopy. But the Platinum wasn´t my first choice anyway.

Thx for the hint to the EZX Jazz but i´m not really sure about that because it seems to sound, surprise surprise ^^ a little too jazzy. It´s a little bit lousy that you have to spend the money before the possibility to see if it really fits. :-/ Maybe i will look for other possibilitys to check out the sound of these before i´ll invest my money in the right thing.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How about this one: Sampling CDs - drummer Sly Dunbar ? If you like the sound(s) you can chop up the loops to get single shots. (Although chopping up Sly's stuff seems slightly ...sacrilegious ) Edit: Oh--it _does_ have singles as well. Even better.

r,
j,
Old 31st January 2013
XI-MACHINES

🎧 10 years
There is also a Sly Dunbar library for Drumcore - both excellent premixed loops & fills as well as individuals samples triggered by a Battery Style sampler.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I found a few things by googling. I have no idea if they're any good.

Reggae Drum Loops - Beta Monkey Music Drum Werks XXI: Drum Loops and Samples for Reggae, Reggae-Rock, and More

Drumdrops in Dub, Dub Drums, Reggae Drums, Dub Drum Samples, Dub Loops

The second one is Style Scott of Roots Radics, who has played with tons of reggae artists. Loopmasters has other reggae libraries, I saw a Mad Professor one on You Tube.

And this link has a free kit that someone made and uploaded. Hope they don't mind me linking to it.

Reggae Drum Kit Samples
Old 6th November 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Definitely head over to the Drumdrops site. They have released a single hits dub kit which should cover what you need. You can purchase it as WAV packs with templates included for a lot of software such as Ableton, EXS, Kontakt, Battery, Reason etc but there is also a Kontakt 5 pack coming out next week which will be compatible with Roland TD-12, 20 & 30 V-drums and come with a Drumdrops Kontakt Interface.

Check it out here:

Rogers Big R Dub Kit Drum Sample pack | Introduction

Enjoy
Old 7th November 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I would highly recommend anything from Style Scott.
Old 7th November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwa ➡️
I would highly recommend anything from Style Scott.
The Style Scott album is a series of multi-track drum tracks. Which are great if you need authentic dub drum tracks. However this format is not ideal for single hit kits. That is where the Rogers Dub kit comes in.

The Rogers kit was played by Horseman and is the same kit that has been used on the Drumdrops in Dub Volume 3 Series and In Saturday Night Style..

For single hit drum kits with V-Drums the Rogers Kit is the one to go for.
Old 9th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miloco ➡️
Definitely head over to the Drumdrops site. They have released a single hits dub kit which should cover what you need. You can purchase it as WAV packs with templates included for a lot of software such as Ableton, EXS, Kontakt, Battery, Reason etc but there is also a Kontakt 5 pack coming out next week which will be compatible with Roland TD-12, 20 & 30 V-drums and come with a Drumdrops Kontakt Interface.

Check it out here:

Rogers Big R Dub Kit Drum Sample pack | Introduction

Enjoy
Yeah you want that old school acoustic sound you can't beat drum drops.
Old 9th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Toontrack's EZdrummer 'Jazz ezx'?
Toontrack have a sample pack called Roots, but it isn't roots reggae I'm afraid.
+1
I am a Reggae bassist/producer. I concur, those are the most rootsy sounds out there. I had BFD Eco (unfortunately can not be used with Cunase 7 64bits) which had decent reggae presets but more modernish.
I use the Reggae midi grooves I bought from Groovemonkee. You got to be an expert to play righteous Reggae drum with the pads. If not, use midi grooves played by a pro.

Sent from my SPH-L710
Old 9th December 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I use BFD 2 for my reggae tracks when I want strict roots. Otherwise I use a combo of BFD, Stylus RMX when I want the 80's style synth drum roots sound (the Sly & Robbie, Roots Radics sound).

Below is a track that used a combo of BFD and some Stylus RMX drum sounds to add thickness to the rim shot. It was programmed by finger tapping the different parts live on my controller keyboard (didn't have my E-drum kit set up at the time), then cleaned up the MIDI/velocity in Logic.
https://soundcloud.com/kirudub/tarkwa-bay-1

Here's an older one that uses mainly RMX sounds with BFD2 on the hi hat (sorry for the loud mix, it was a sketch):

https://soundcloud.com/kirudub/strictly-dub

For any reggae/dub tune I work on, I don't use any BFD "preset" per se, but listen to the different samples and make a kit I'm happy with.

I personally haven't been too impressed with Groove Monkey, but the last time I looked was a few years back. I've been playing reggae percussion/drums for so long that I KNOW how I want it to sound, and the Monkey didn't do it well, in my opinion. But I'm a freak when it comes to stuff like that, so your mileage may vary.

I must say that a lot of the "canned" loops I hear (with the exception of those made by the likes of Sly Dunbar, etc.) sound like they were played by people with no idea of how a true roots reggae drum beat sounds; it can be cringe-inducing... like you're listening to a bad bar band at Club Med.
Old 10th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reid ➡️
I use BFD 2 for my reggae tracks when I want strict roots. Otherwise I use a combo of BFD, Stylus RMX when I want the 80's style synth drum roots sound (the Sly & Robbie, Roots Radics sound).

Below is a track that used a combo of BFD and some Stylus RMX drum sounds to add thickness to the rim shot. It was programmed by finger tapping the different parts live on my controller keyboard (didn't have my E-drum kit set up at the time), then cleaned up the MIDI/velocity in Logic.
https://soundcloud.com/kirudub/tarkwa-bay-1

Here's an older one that uses mainly RMX sounds with BFD2 on the hi hat (sorry for the loud mix, it was a sketch):

https://soundcloud.com/kirudub/strictly-dub

For any reggae/dub tune I work on, I don't use any BFD "preset" per se, but listen to the different samples and make a kit I'm happy with.

I personally haven't been too impressed with Groove Monkey, but the last time I looked was a few years back. I've been playing reggae percussion/drums for so long that I KNOW how I want it to sound, and the Monkey didn't do it well, in my opinion. But I'm a freak when it comes to stuff like that, so your mileage may vary.

I must say that a lot of the "canned" loops I hear (with the exception of those made by the likes of Sly Dunbar, etc.) sound like they were played by people with no idea of how a true roots reggae drum beat sounds; it can be cringe-inducing... like you're listening to a bad bar band at Club Med.

Great sounding drums there... Check out the drumdrops loops I think they are pretty authentic and the Rogers kit (although a live 70s kit) can be used to get a good modern day sound from the samples provided.
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
When I want yard droppin beat down babylon grooves and sounds I start with Horseman or Style scott and a drum drops track. Of course you need to know how that old school Jamaican yard drum and bass move together and how the riddim falls in the pocket. Here is a quick riddim using one of the latest Horseman tracks from drum drops. It doesn't have to be complicated, it just has to drop right. Pure live drums with only the kick enhanced. SBK

https://soundcloud.com/sound-bwoi/i-call-this-roots
Old 10th December 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nice track, Killa... might have to check out Drum Drops again. But I'm a cheap ass with a house remodel to pay off, so I'll be finger tappin' for a while yet.

By the way, it's good to know that folks are still into the roots sound. Makes an old dubber like me happy.

++ PS: I was lucky to meet the Roots Radics before Bingy passed away. Good times.
Old 10th December 2013
Lives for gear

11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old thread but... most of the drums for reggae are the same as other genre's.. just played differently.
Old 2nd October 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Old thread but ....i prepare a kit ( For BFD and Kontakt ) with a lot of tricks and tips i made this year on drum , i don t want to record in a "conventional" way...i want a tight / punchy kit i heard on late 70 early 80 early dancehall production.
Not only for reggae , but disco / old funk /punk etc ....

I didn't like drum with room/ ambiance / overhead etc ....all library i listen on the web ( for BFD / Superior / Kontakt ) aren't good for reggae ...they don't choose the good room for this .

Back in the day , they use drum booth , very very small room or dead room with carpet / foam etc on the wall. Check the disco technique on google

Jamaican drummer are influenced with rock / pop / soul / disco etc sound in US too .John Bohnam snare or Phil Rude are not as distant as it..just fxchain is different and room

All kit are very muffling , towel on snare and tom / tape , a lot of blanket in kick drum ( no reso head or big hole ) .material is not very important .Don t forget that "real" muffling is better than gate processor apply after.

For compression , good Drummer hit and sensitivity avoids to compress the drum sound.I want to keep all the dynamic

The Drum tuning is crucial too .
With good tuning , cheap snare can sound better than an expensive ludwig ...

For low tuning snare sound , my favorite tunning is top = fundamental and reso head in third minor up .
But i like to find the best pitch for shell before ...

i can spend 2 hours to have a good drum tuning before recorded .

And mic positioning is not a science , i think you must to play with it arround the drum , and keep the best result .
A "tip" is to replace mic with a flashlight and "see" the better position with it ...work very well on snare for exemple.

Voila
Old 3rd October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfinga ➡️
Old thread but ....i prepare a kit ( For BFD and Kontakt ) with a lot of tricks and tips i made this year on drum , i don t want to record in a "conventional" way...i want a tight / punchy kit i heard on late 70 early 80 early dancehall production.
Not only for reggae , but disco / old funk /punk etc ....

I didn't like drum with room/ ambiance / overhead etc ....all library i listen on the web ( for BFD / Superior / Kontakt ) aren't good for reggae ...they don't choose the good room for this .

Back in the day , they use drum booth , very very small room or dead room with carpet / foam etc on the wall. Check the disco technique on google

Jamaican drummer are influenced with rock / pop / soul / disco etc sound in US too .John Bohnam snare or Phil Rude are not as distant as it..just fxchain is different and room

All kit are very muffling , towel on snare and tom / tape , a lot of blanket in kick drum ( no reso head or big hole ) .material is not very important .Don t forget that "real" muffling is better than gate processor apply after.

For compression , good Drummer hit and sensitivity avoids to compress the drum sound.I want to keep all the dynamic

The Drum tuning is crucial too .
With good tuning , cheap snare can sound better than an expensive ludwig ...

For low tuning snare sound , my favorite tunning is top = fundamental and reso head in third minor up .
But i like to find the best pitch for shell before ...

i can spend 2 hours to have a good drum tuning before recorded .

And mic positioning is not a science , i think you must to play with it arround the drum , and keep the best result .
A "tip" is to replace mic with a flashlight and "see" the better position with it ...work very well on snare for exemple.

Voila
Old thread, but new products are available. heh
Reggae EZX | Toontrack
Old 4th October 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValliSoftware ➡️
Old thread, but new products are available. heh
Reggae EZX | Toontrack
It's not the same colour ...EZX is good for UK / European Reggae , stepper and one drop , not for early dancehall .
Early Dancehall is more minimalist , more " brutal ", like old funk or disco track in early 80 .

EZX Reggae toontrack is more 70's vibe for me
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Greetings !
Old posts ...but
Now I propose a good VST/AU Mac/& dedicaced to Drum Sound of 80's in reggae ( Not Wailers sounding ) Early Dancehall, Rubadub era
Drums are dry, muffled and organics
All demos In my website in homepage

Reggae Dub | Westfinga

Plugins info and price on Website too
Thanks
Old 16th October 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor ➡️
How about this one: Sampling CDs - drummer Sly Dunbar ? If you like the sound(s) you can chop up the loops to get single shots. (Although chopping up Sly's stuff seems slightly ...sacrilegious ) Edit: Oh--it _does_ have singles as well. Even better.

r,
j,
Some loops are great, even though sometimes I would have preferred he played more 'aggressive', like in his records.
Old 16th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
how about you do it the easy way.

get some records /CDs of the drum sounds you like - and SAMPLE THEM.

Make your own kit
📝 Reply