Quantcast
Macbook pro non-retina 2012 - 32GB - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Macbook pro non-retina 2012 - 32GB
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Macbook pro non-retina 2012 - 32GB

Ok, so I was 100% to but the retina with 16GB RAM today, but now I read upon here that it´s possiable to get 32GB RAM for the classic MBP. Is this 110% sure, have anyone actually installed 32GB of RAM for their MBP 2012?

I talked to OWC and they say that it´s 16GB that is MAX for both versions. Please give me some insight before making the choice today.

In case of the amount of RAM, I was mainly thinking about 32 GB RAM giving me much more headroom when running some samplebased instruments. 16BG might me suffient I dont know

thanks
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yes 32 GB ram will be possible in the classic...IF AND WHEN 16 GB sticks become available
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
check the crucial website for memory limits, they have a nice checker.

Seriously though how the hell are you going to use 16GB with instruments? What are you using now? I am genuinely interested as I just can't see how that much would be needed.
Old 30th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm...ok so I went to Crucials homepage and it says 16GB ram maximum for both 2012 macbook pros and like auxreturn said, if they ever come out with a single 16GB ramstick for notebooks. However it does not seem to be available now and no indication on when. Does not sound like a dealbreaker for me then. I´ll go for the retina, since I don´t need the DVD/CD.

psykx: Well based on what I heard, instruments like Omnisphere from Spectrasonics and Vienna orchestral libraries, BUT I could be wrong.
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't use either but I'd be very surprised if anybody could fill 8gb with samples, those instruments need loads of disk space but not a huge amount of memory.
Old 3rd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
16gb IS ENOUGH for a laptop. mine has 4gb and runs perfect.
Old 4th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot guys!

I am creating soon got everything for my studio except the soundcard.

I extremly pleased with my new macbook pro retina 2,6GHZ 16GB RAM 256SSD
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Depends on the CPU most of the mobile devices support up to 16GB.
Old 8th April 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx ➡️
I don't use either but I'd be very surprised if anybody could fill 8gb with samples, those instruments need loads of disk space but not a huge amount of memory.
Well, than you should take a look around at the works of professional composers doing a lot of orchestra work. It´s kind of tiresomely to read thread after thread about this topic only to see the same answers repeated from people who don´t have a clue what they´re talking about.

Some could argue that producers like me would do better with an iMac if memory is becoming an issue. But the fact is that it´s very convenient to run your studio from your laptop, as it opens up the possibility to get mobile whenever you need to be. Raw processing power in modern Macbook Pros is hardly an issue anymore, it´s just the RAM-limit that bothers me and other producers doing heavy symphonic sample arrangements.
I could easily use up 30 GBs of memory in just one Cubase/Logic-session.

Look at the specs for say, Hollywood Strings Diamond Edition and maybe you´ll rethink your statement about sample libraries. Just a friendly tip!
📝 Reply