Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
True Piano
Old 2nd May 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpert ➡️
GOD's First Commandment: If someone on an internet forum asks a question that has EVER been asked before and discussed, this makes GOD angry. They deserve to be STONED to DEATH for not using the search function. God vehemently forbids any discussing, talking, thinking about, or fantasizing about any topic, subject, thought, or word, that has EVER, been discussed by ANYONE else. GOD will not allow any exchanging of ideas on any internet forum, ever, for any reason, because it is vile and wicked.
i agree with you. why are people so uptight about this? if you find it annoying that someone asks again then just don't f**king comment on the thread.

there are only so many questions that can be asked in regards to music production. anyways, this question is a year old and i've found this particular thread very useful.....
Old 13th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I Don't know if it's the best soft piano but the CFX Concert Grand from MakeMusic/Garritan is the largest. Each of it's three perspectives are 50GB and require 122GB of hard drive storage for full installation. That's a grand total of 366GB for the whole thing.

8GB of memory and a quad-core CPU are the minimum and a SSD is recommended.

Correction from MakeMusic today.

The total installation for all three perspectives is 122GB. The compact version is 24.5GB.
Old 13th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
-Xln Studio Grand
-Piano in blue
-Ravenscroft

and for the ratio price/sound/size/lightness on cpu, Acoustica Pianissimo
Fernando Pereira - Piano Improvisation (Acoustica Pianissimo in FL Studio) - YouTube
Old 8th July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I really like the warm sound of Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand. I also have Ivory 2 - and though it sounds quite realistic it sounds a bit too clean (cold) for me.

Just watched a review of Piano in blue - very interesting. Maybe that will be my next one.
Old 8th July 2014 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSound ➡️
Just watched a review of Piano in blue - very interesting.
It is very good, for that "old" sound.

However, to my ears, this one is quite close to the Holy Grail:

1969 Steinway - 8dio
Old 5th May 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My favourites:

- Soniccouture The Hammersmith
- Imperfect Samples
- Garritan Concert Grand
Old 5th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Don't record or perform solo or partial solo pieces, so my criteria is how a piano sounds in a band mix. Some of the better ones like Ivory sound great in solo but don't fit in my mixes as well. The Steinberg Grand 3 really cuts through a full pop mix and another one of my favorite to play, Alicia gets lost.
Sometimes the built-in "Grand Piano" on the Yamaha Motif or Roland FA08 really sits perfectly.

So I'll have to try some of the others mentioned above.
Old 5th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraSound ➡️
I really like the warm sound of Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand.
That's an incredible sample package. Wont' fit everything, but damn it's beautiful.
Old 6th May 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Strezov Sampling

Check it out.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
piano vst

I have just about all I find that the vsts may sound good on one side of the keyboard or the other but where it lacks is where most of the music is played in the center, the only vst that for ME provides clarity iS TRUE PIANOS I USED BLUE CATS plugin MB-7 Mixer this allows me to tweak the high mids to sweeten the sound, plus this plugin has a small footprint there is a demo for both plugins

I DONT WORK FOR THESE COMPANIES

I'm always trying new piano vsts just maybe someone will hit the mark
that being said BIG FISH has a grand vst for a low price

Big Fish Audio - Silver: Concert Grand Piano - A premium sampled Imperial Grand 290 piano virtual instrument
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loud fi ➡️
Strezov Sampling

Check it out.
Sounds good.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
true pianos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 ➡️
Don't record or perform solo or partial solo pieces, so my criteria is how a piano sounds in a band mix. Some of the better ones like Ivory sound great in solo but don't fit in my mixes as well. The Steinberg Grand 3 really cuts through a full pop mix and another one of my favorite to play, Alicia gets lost.
Sometimes the built-in "Grand Piano" on the Yamaha Motif or Roland FA08 really sits perfectly.

So I'll have to try some of the others mentioned above.

www.soundcloud.com/tkeefe
try true pianos thery have a demo
Truepianos - Welcome
Old 6th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for the suggestions! The Truepianos sound very strong and powerful, I will be trying it and adding later remarks. The Big Fish Silver looks like a great VST for pop/rock band projects with all the different sounds available. Adding strings or a warm pad is frequently done to the piano track and having a quality sample already available is a plus, not to mention the tines sound for a more modern vibe.

There are officially too many choices and I'm almost ready to wave the white flag and they're all getting better all the time. The only thing I would need to check out on a VST piano is the "bottom out" range. Several popular VSTs bottom out rather quickly - no names, just folks trying to make a living don't need my opinion. Thanks again!
Old 6th May 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Been messing with the cheap version of PianoTeq. It really is quite impressive. Plus you can pickup all kinds of piano predecessors and vintage pianos for free. My ear isn't as good you guys, but it sounds like a piano to me and its flat fun to mess with all the old style stuff it comes with.

Forgive the presumption, but if you want to play around with some Kontakt pianos that are not! the best pianos ever made but have a good performance to price ratio...
bigcat Instruments: bigcat Piano Collection Version 2
Old 30th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
unfortunately, buying the imperfect samples seems to be a bad idea - the company seems to be a one man band, and that man is AWOL. you may pay and never receive any response. be careful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftpunkjoe ➡️
I was worried about that.
I apologise for the delays to support previously. As of 2016, a new download service has been introduced, including automated upgrade verification. This now means you’ll never have to wait for your upgrade to be manually verified, it’ll be delivered instantly. NEW 24/7 download support is now available at orders[at]fastspring[dot]com .

For advice about products, please email info[at]imperfectsamples[dot]com
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9b ➡️
NEW 24/7 download support is now available at orders[at]fastspring[dot]com .
Hi Matt. Years ago (2009) I bought Braunschweig Upright (Pro), however, the files were corrupted somehow, so I never used it. I would appreciate it if I could download the library again...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Hi Matt. Years ago (2009) I bought Braunschweig Upright (Pro), however, the files were corrupted somehow, so I never used it. I would appreciate it if I could download the library again...
Hi Tui,

Sure- please email me info[at]imperfectsamples[dot]com and your download will be reactivated.

It sounds like possibly one of your files didn't complete downloading. This can happen if your home ISP resets during download (although I appreciate quite annoying!), the way to avoid this is to use a download manager. On the up side, you won't need to re-download the whole thing again- please check the size of your rar files. They should all be the same size except the last one, which is smaller. If any are the wrong size, just erase and re-download that one. That'll do the trick! The files are split up for this reason, for ease to prevent needing to downloading the whole thing again.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9b ➡️
Hi Tui,

Sure- please email me info[at]imperfectsamples[dot]com and your download will be reactivated.
Thanks, Matt, will do.
Old 31st March 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think I might as well ask this here as there probably will be some Imperfect Samples owners that upgraded from pro to complete or even up to extreme.

Doing some kind of singer songwriter arrangements and also classic rock: Would you say it makes much more sense to go straight to Complete instead of Pro because of the added layers and perspectives?

Any preference when it comes to authenticity and dynamics (hitting harder) : Steinways or Ebony?
(besides that I think I will get the Braunschweig anyway... it sound quite unique in those audio demos)

fyi: I own the Ivory II colection and am not really happy with its dynamics... there is a kind of ceiling when hitting the keys hard and nothing really exiting/'explosiv' happens (like on a real piano) imo. What Imperfect Samples piano is convincing in that regard?

And another question:
I will pan the piano more to one side... quite a bit. Frankly, will this be a problem with the Braunschweig and Ebony or Steinways and the sound will get phasey?

Thanks for answering and sharing your experience!!
regards

Last edited by gearsuser; 31st March 2016 at 11:42 AM..
Old 1st April 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
So I got the pro version of Imperfect Samples for Steinway Walnut. Maybe it's me, but I find I have to really hit the keys to get sound. It sounds great, but I'm not sure I like the feel. Fortunately, most of my piano consists of using midi files. I still like the sound on the S Keys a little more.

Though I think I will keep an eye out for a sale on the pianoteq if only for the freebies. I kind of like the old piano sounds. Though really? I have enough pianos.
Old 1st April 2016
Deleted 86c3d96
That two chord piano sample from Janet Jackson's "Control" was always the high point for me.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've used Alicia Keys and Art Vista for years but after demoing the EZkeys Studio Grand, I think I may need to pick that one up. It has the warmest low end and realistic upper end, where a lot of simulations break down, that I've heard. No cheesy aftertones, just sounds like the real thing.
Old 23rd May 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
BUMP!
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I bought pianoteq about a month ago and have been using it for my daily piano practice and it's been good. Occasionally I notice some weird artifacting in the tails but only when I have headphones on and have been playing for a while so it may be in my head. It is very responsive to velocity and in this respect beats out any of the sampled pianos I have which sound great but are difficult (for me) to get a good dynamic range out of.
Old 23rd May 2016 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I recently got this, it is really quite incredible:

Imperfect Samples ® - Fazioli Ebony Concert Grand (Extreme) (EXS24 / Kontakt)

I am going to record a solo piano album with this baby.
Deleted 9d8db46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️

I am going to record a solo piano album with this baby.
So you already have it? Compared it with other VSTs? So far, my experience has been that most are at a certain level . . . does this one transcend? Sorry for the pesky questions, but $300 for the Extreme download is a fair amount.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9d8db46 ➡️
. . . does this one transcend?
It's exactly what I was looking for. It has a tonal quality suited to classical music. You can hear it really well in this video (which, incidentally, sold me on it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-jAEUdmclk

This is the smaller version, though, called "Complete".
Old 24th May 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pianoteq. Steinway B is a nice one.
Ivory American D
Ravenscroft 275

I've tried them all, except Vienna, including the Kontakt based offerings.

These are my favorites.

Pick your poison!

Last edited by loopy; 24th May 2016 at 02:38 PM..
Old 24th May 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Although I haven't heard a real Fazioli, it seems that The Ebony Grand by Imperfect Samples sounds quite different from the real thing (Fazioli piano).

No dissing here, I have Complete version and love how detailed and intimate the piano sounds. It just sounds almost too dark and I often need to use hi-shelf to bring up the 4khz upwards. Also the release stage sound a bit unnatural, however this shouldn't be much of an issue with slow performance (with lots of sustained notes going on).

I wish someone could release another Fazioli library with the same level of realism of Imperfect Samples and more "hi-fi" tonality, and maybe a bit more responsive scripting...
📝 Reply