Quantcast
Best Piano Vst? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
for what its worth I listened to demos of pretty much every piano in this thread and wound up using 'Emotional Piano' because I thought it had the best overall tone. I'm sure I could coax a similar sound out of a bunch of the others mentioned, but Emotional Piano just seems to sit really well in a mix and has a very pleasing tone. I really tried like the 1969 8dio Steinway but I didn't really find it to sound truly special. A nice piano library for sure but it just didnt have that wow factor. I also really wanted to like Piano in Blue, and Im sure if I was doing more scoring work it'd be a great go-to library, but I make electronic music and found it to be too dusty and blurry for me. Theres probably some situations where that sound would be brilliant but for me they'd be too few and far between.

I hope that helps someone
Old 5th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by james... ➡️
Orange Tree Rosewood - This is actually a great library that sounds very balanced except there's this weird overtone that I can't dial out. Makes it unusable.
A lot of users of that particular library seem to get a lot of mileage out of it, so "makes it unusable" is perhaps too harsh a wording?

An audio example would be helpful, too.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought Imperfect Samples- their largest library - Fazioli sometime last summer. Didin´t have much trouble with my order. It came on a hard disk.. everything ok.
It´s great. You can choose of five different mic perspectives which makes quite a difference on the sound. There might be better (already tweaked/processed) pianos for EDM and such but for other genres i think it´s great. Especially if you are looking for that raw "real" piano sound or cinematic sound.
Synthogy Ivory and XLN Grand are too clean and lack that certain "real instrument" mojo imo.
Oh well.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
A lot of users of that particular library seem to get a lot of mileage out of it, so "makes it unusable" is perhaps too harsh a wording?

An audio example would be helpful, too.
Here you go.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ngetree(2).mp3

Extremely annoying overtones after sustains that I don't get with any other library.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here you go.

Extremely annoying overtones after sustains that I don't get with any other library.
Ah, that feedback buildup was an issue that only seems to affect certain systems. It's definitely not intentional, though. Did you receive the latest update for Evolution Rosewood Grand that was released a few days ago? The damper ambience/resonance was completely redone, fixing this problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ravenscroft up and running, initial impressions...

I grew up with a Yamaha Baby Grand, so am used to an actual piano... and FOR ME, we've still a long way to go.

These are initial impressions. I'll mess with it more but for the moment not feeling good about the purchase.

Others love it already, so like everything we all have highly individual tastes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
If a C7 is what you're after, ERG is hard to beat.

rich
Old 5th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting how different the tastes are when it comes to sampled pianos.

I tried sooooooooooo many and the ONLY one which I am able to play for hours and hours is the QLP Boesendorfer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➡️
Curious if you and Feck actually own it or did you have the opportunity to try it at NAMM?

I know the actual release for the general public was supposed to be today I believe.

And not sure if that special is through today or ended yesterday. Gotta check.
Yeah, I own it. It has a very rich timbre, and first impressions are very good.
Old 6th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnappi ➡️
If a C7 is what you're after, ERG is hard to beat.

rich
ERG?... What is that?
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Curious if you and Feck actually own it or did you have the opportunity to try it at NAMM?

I know the actual release for the general public was supposed to be today I believe.

And not sure if that special is through today or ended yesterday. Gotta check.
I own it, I'm more than satisfied with it.
I gave my testimonial to VI Labs, and they were happy with the feedback I gave as well. I'm very curious about their other libraries now too.

The samples are so clean but without sounding sterile.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
ERG?... What is that?
Orange Tree's Evolution Rosewood Grand. Sorry, I should have quoted EvilDragon, as I was embellishing on his post about this piano's usability.

rich
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
people will hate me about this here, but i actually like nexus presets for pianos, some of them is really bad for sure, but with the right work on the synth you can make them sound well
Old 6th March 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Addictive keys has never really let me down. Use it all the time and sounds great
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I bought the Production Voices piano, and it's cool, but the lack of flexibility is a bit annoying. Yeah you have the four faders, but you have no control over the (very wide) stereo field, and not even a simple 'width' parameter per fader.

The source is stereo anyway, so you may as well just give control over all the mics... often it's too panned.

I'd often like a mono room mic, but you can't get one without collapsing the track to mono.

I can't see that this would incur any real extra overhead.

Further, it should have the option of outputs for each mic, so i can mix it how i want, in a DAW.

Does any other instrument offer these options?
Old 6th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I still like Virtual Grand Piano from Art Vista.

I see that there are now some demo tracks of the announced Garritan CFX Concert Grand at MakeMusic.
Old 7th March 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➡️
I'd often like a mono room mic, but you can't get one without collapsing the track to mono.
Isn't the "Under Piano" mic mono? Or is that just a spot mic?
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the EastWest QL Pianos.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta ➡️
Isn't the "Under Piano" mic mono? Or is that just a spot mic?
Perhaps - i'm not at the studio now, but a) that's only one of the mics on the 'modern' patch and b) it's a 'weird' sound - it fills out the other mics but not a sound i'd wanna go for on its own.
Old 7th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just got True Keys and I am seriously impressed. I don't know why there was no piano library like this up to now. Very dynamic, clean, with thunderous low end. Very responsive when playing, which is the thing that bothers me mostly when I play with pianos such as QL pianos and some of the more "character " libraries. It seems that not all the keys respond the same way while you play. No problems like those with this library. The Fazioli is a beast but the American is my favourite. Loads relatively fast and the interface is nicely laid out.
I will still keep using the 8Dio pianos and the QL for more sparse and cinematic cues but for passages with a lot of notes and critical piano playing this is going to be my go-to library from now on.
Hope this helps folks!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom ➡️
I just got True Keys and I am seriously impressed. I don't know why there was no piano library like this up to now. Very dynamic, clean, with thunderous low end. Very responsive when playing, which is the thing that bothers me mostly when I play with pianos such as QL pianos and some of the more "character " libraries. It seems that not all the keys respond the same way while you play. No problems like those with this library. The Fazioli is a beast but the American is my favourite. Loads relatively fast and the interface is nicely laid out.
I will still keep using the 8Dio pianos and the QL for more sparse and cinematic cues but for passages with a lot of notes and critical piano playing this is going to be my go-to library from now on.
Hope this helps folks!
Agreed. The True Keys pianos ARE a benchmark, at least for what I do: making a solo piano recording that can't be distinguished from a live solo piano recording. I would have to say, however, that American Grand (Ivory 2) is world's apart from their previous efforts, and albeit completely different from True Keys, is equally useful (for what I do anyway.)

Let me say, too, that I'm NOT talking about pianos samples from a LIVE PERFORMANCE point of view. That's a completely different ball game, a game in which zero latency is a must and compression and other mods to the sound can actually be a good thing.
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
"Zero latency" is impossible - hell, even piano key action has latency.
Old 8th March 2014 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon ➡️
"Zero latency" is impossible - hell, even piano key action has latency.
Of course… but you want to get as close as possible to "0" latency… Pianoteq, which I experimented with when it first came out (in fact BEFORE it was actually released) is extremely fast: very, very little latency, coupled with great dynamic response.

That's one of the reasons it's great to play.

Having said that, latency is not something I care about, because I don't do much stuff "at the keyboard," any more. Any midi recordings I do, I do through my Roland pf-4. Then, I listen and tweak the midi file through either the Ivory American Grand OR the True Keys Faz…. 2 quite "real" sounding pianos (to my ears) that also happen to require totallly different manupulations of the midi file to sound like an "actual recording."

Would I want to play either of these pianos "live" or "realtime"? Nope. I'd rather play Pianoteq or a reasonably good hardware keyboard (Kawai, Roland, Yam.--with weighted keys).

"Pianoteq" will never sound like an "actual recording," although I wouldn't doubt that it's close enough to the real thing to fool a lot of people. Ditto for many of the sampled pianos on the market.

But that doesn't mean they're not great to play. And the ear accommodates pretty quickly; so close can become "good enough."
Old 8th March 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah if I actually have to play the thing live, Pianoteq is the only one I find acceptable. At least I can't hear it sample switching. I usually just sit down at my little Yamaha upright. It sounds better than sample libraries even when it's out of tune. If I need piano in a track, it's more like a science project of tweaking MIDI notes until I manage to get a semblance of actual piano without horrible changes in sample quality from note to note or velocity to velocity. Even the demos for all these libraries online sound 100% fake to me. They are invariably dynamically static compared to a real instrument.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter ➡️
Yeah if I actually have to play the thing live, Pianoteq is the only one I find acceptable. At least I can't hear it sample switching. I usually just sit down at my little Yamaha upright. It sounds better than sample libraries even when it's out of tune. If I need piano in a track, it's more like a science project of tweaking MIDI notes until I manage to get a semblance of actual piano without horrible changes in sample quality from note to note or velocity to velocity. Even the demos for all these libraries online sound 100% fake to me. They are invariably dynamically static compared to a real instrument.
Which is the truth. The starting point.

Any REAL piano, either heard, better still, LISTENED TO; even better: PLAYED at the keyboard = Benchmark.

To which we add:

1. Can't afford real thing, no room for it, neighbour-roommate-noise-objection....you get the drift

So....

2. Buy cheap keyboard, but doesn't sound "real"!!! Doesn't FEEL "real"!

3. Buy better cheap keyboard, but still isn't good enough....

OK. It's a journey, and everything depends on
1. your EARS and TRAINING;
2. your MUSIC (rock, pop, new wave, jazz, classical);
3. your APPLICATION (live or recorded), in a band or solo;
4. your TASTE (what "sound" you like: verby, yammy, Steinway-ee, Fazzy, dry, over the hammer miking, distant miking, xy miking, etc....).

Having said that True Keys, Ivory 2 (NOT Ivory 1 stuff) and Imperfect (for all its imperfections) are pretty much the benchmarks. But with a lot of work, you can go with the older libraries (Galaxy, Sampletekk, et. al.). In some ways the older libraries are more "forgiving"!!!
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here you go.

Wow, there's some serious compression on this sample, making the instrument sound almost like a harpsichord. Try gentler compression and shave off some high end with a good EQ.

I think such an example may also go some way towards explaining the great diversity of opinions and apparent "tastes" on a thread such as this one. The question is: What do people actually do with their libraries? What processing do they add, is it always appropriate, or is it at least appropriate for the kind of music they want to create?

Yet another question is, what kind of monitoring do people use? Big 3-way systems, tiny computer monitors, headphones? Genelecs or NS-10s? A $299 interface, or a Burl Mothership?

For an example, for a long time I was rather disappointed with my Ivory 1 library. I thought it sounded unnaturally brash and clangy - until the day I got myself a pair of proper DA converters. Gone were the nasty and dissonant overtones I had been hearing. Suddenly, I thought, hey, this is actually a really good library.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngrant ➡️
"Pianoteq" will never sound like an "actual recording," although I wouldn't doubt that it's close enough to the real thing to fool a lot of people.
I'm living with Pianoteq Pro for quite a while now (beta testing it, as well)... It is my go to piano for everything, because it can literally do anything I need it to do, and then some... I especially like to get into sound design territory with it. So much scope it's ridiculous.

Anyways, there are definitely ways to "dirty it up" a bit and make it sound like a recording... microphone positioning page is the key - along with routing each mic to individual outputs in your DAW and post-processing there with some slight tape saturation and stuff like that (u-he Satin for the win).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
I thought it sounded unnaturally brash and clangy - until the day I got myself a pair of proper DA converters. Gone were the nasty and dissonant overtones I had been hearing. Suddenly, I thought, hey, this is actually a really good library.
First, you thought data compression/expansion affected the tone of a downloaded library (which it doesn't). Now, you are saying that a single DA conversion completely changed the tone of a piano library - sounds to me like you are reading too much GS. No 2 channel converter swap is going to transform the sound of a sample set unless you are talking about going from iPod level converters to Antelopes, or something along that line. Even then, "dissonant overtones"? Maybe if you were redline clipping on your first set of converters....and running it through Decapitator haha.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
feck, I suggest you let this go.
Old 9th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment ➡️
I love the EastWest QL Pianos.
I've always been a big fan of EWQLP especially when they came on the mountains of DVD's, and I remember losing sleep over the long install time (with the huge sound to back it though too to reward you).

I just wish they would clean up the samples (hissing), have consistent velocity layer switching, and add sympathetic resonance so u don't feel like you are triggering samples on your keyboard.
📝 Reply