Best Piano Vst? - Page 20 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 10th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise ➡️
I think he'd be very much interested in learning to use DAW and possibly Spifire would sponsor him to produce his signature orchestral library.
Hahahaha -yes! And I'd buy it, I'm sure!
Old 13th December 2017
Here for the gear

I ended up getting truekeys when it was on sale. It sounds ok but I'm getting a very obvious delay. I have an i5 6500 with a wdc wd10ezex-22mfca0 HDD. I'm using a really long 25 or 30 foot usb cable plugged into my yamaha p-45. Do you guys think I need or an SSD or a shorter cable or both? Any help is appreciated.
Old 13th December 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentmonkey ➡️
I'm using a really long 25 or 30 foot usb cable plugged into my yamaha p-45.
Anything over 15' is just wrong! My boss at my old IT job had a 100' USB cable squirreled away in her store room. It made me cry. Apparently, someone wanted it to connect a keyboard to give presentations.

The original limit for a USB cable was 15'. I don't know what the limits are for that newfangled USB 2 are, but I never use anything over 6'. . I'd start with a shorter cable, preferably with ferrites (those knobby things) on either end. Also, check the memory usage and requirements for the VST. It may stream or it may use ram cache.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
It may stream or it may use ram cache.
What does this part mean and what do I do about either scenario? I have 8 gigs ram. I'm on a pretty good gaming pc and everything is nearly new.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Layering Keyscape and Production voices has gotten me one of the best piano sounds Ive ever heard. Here's a quick sample (I dont think I used any eq or processing of any kind on the piano).
Attached Files

How Deep is your love.mp3 (2.40 MB, 5037 views)

Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentmonkey ➡️
What does this part mean and what do I do about either scenario? I have 8 gigs ram. I'm on a pretty good gaming pc and everything is nearly new.
If your VST does a RAM cache, it's loading all the samples into memory and needs lots. If it streams, it means it plays the samples directly from the hard drive. Low RAM usage, but may suffer if you use a mechanical drive. Check with the VST manual to see what they recommend and make sure your computer meets the minimum, if not much better. You may just need to tweak some settings, especially if the VST uses both approaches.

Frankly, I don't enough about the samples approach to be of any more help. I'm more interested in the modeling approach, which just needs lots of CPU, but is more flexible in changing the overall sound of the instrument.
Old 13th December 2017
Here for the gear

I tried a shorter 6 foot cable and it didn't make any difference.
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Sampled Baldwin from Whole Sounds

The best piano? Hard to say - that's all a question of taste, and exactly what you're looking for in any particular situation.

But here is a really GOOD piano - my 1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand, the first sampled Baldwin available on the market. The idea was to present my beautiful, real piano as faithfully as possible. Not a beat-up "character" piano, nor a hyper-polished idealized version of a grand. Just a great version of a wonderful-sounding old piano.

1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand — Whole Sounds

It's made to be used with UVI's Workstation or Falcon sampler. Just released v1.1, so it's currently on sale for 35% off, until February 1.

I'd love to get some feedback from the forum on how it sounds. I've got a fully functional demo version available - free to download, no Ilok required. Check it out here...

downloads — Whole Sounds

And some SoundCloud tracks here...

1954 Baldwin virtual piano by Whole Sounds | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The piano was mic'ed from four perspectives - close mics, mid-distance mics, a mono mic, and far mics. A four-channel mixer lets you blend the 4 perspectives, and you can apply separate eq & compression modules to each of the four channels. There's also some built-in custom impulse reverbs, sustain pedal resonance layers, hammer & damper noises, plus copy, paste, and A/B buttons a plenty. Also, a "scene" preset function that allows you to save and load all the various settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Piano Vst?-main.jpg  

Last edited by danshousestudio; 23rd January 2018 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Needed to add more stuff!
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I gladly confirm. This is a unique piano vst, the only Baldwin I could find. Delicate, sweet, yet quite articulate and decisive. Congrats, Dan!
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No such thing as best piano, just different tools for different jobs.

That being said, three of my go-to’s for production and scoring are:

Art Vista Malmsjo
Olafur Arnalds Composer Toolkit
Emotional Piano
Old 24th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danshousestudio ➡️

It's made to be used with UVI's Workstation or Falcon sampler.

Why no Kontakt version? I would love to try this, but can't get into another sampling platform at this point.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The best piano? Hard to say - that's all a question of taste, and exactly what you're looking for in any particular situation.

But here is a really GOOD piano - my 1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand, the first sampled Baldwin available on the market. The idea was to present my beautiful, real piano as faithfully as possible. Not a beat-up "character" piano, nor a hyper-polished idealized version of a grand. Just a great version of a wonderful-sounding old piano.

1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand — Whole Sounds

It's made to be used with UVI's Workstation or Falcon sampler. Just released v1.1, so it's currently on sale for 35% off, until February 1.

I'd love to get some feedback from the forum on how it sounds. I've got a fully functional demo version available - free to download, no Ilok required. Check it out here...

downloads — Whole Sounds

And some SoundCloud tracks here...

1954 Baldwin virtual piano by Whole Sounds | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The piano was mic'ed from four perspectives - close mics, mid-distance mics, a mono mic, and far mics. A four-channel mixer lets you blend the 4 perspectives, and you can apply separate eq & compression modules to each of the four channels. There's also some built-in custom impulse reverbs, sustain pedal resonance layers, hammer & damper noises, plus copy, paste, and A/B buttons a plenty. Also, a "scene" preset function that allows you to save and load all the various settings.
I tried it and it is lovely, congrats, but I have sooooo many nice sampled pianos already I just could not pull the trigger.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
brockorama - No Kontakt because I just never got into it. It always seemed kind of klunky to me - but that might just have been my lack of expertise more than anything!

I chose UVI Workstation because the simple player is 100% free, available in 32 & 64 bit versions, and UVI offered a nice package for the instrument with a monolithic file bundling up all the thousands of samples. Flac was an option, so I went with that, and saved a huge amount of space with the samples. The download itself is less than 3.5 gigs.

I had originally (and quite naively!) been planning on offering this as a simple SampleTank, user-built library before I realized that some of the necessary features just weren't available to users building their own stuff. Then I was introduced to the wonderful world of Lua scripting that UVI offers, and here we are, a few years and a few thousand samples later.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Asher ➡️
I tried it and it is lovely, congrats, but I have sooooo many nice sampled pianos already I just could not pull the trigger.
Ha! I hear you. Someone DID ask me why I felt it was necessary to reinvent the wheel. But, what the heck, it's like a new breakfast joint. I mean, breakfast has pretty much been perfected already, but these places still keep popping up.

But I decided to go with a Baldwin sample library because I do love the Baldwin I have (it's been in my family for years), and there didn't seem to be too many decent Baldwins out there. Lots of Steinways, Yamahas, Bosendorfers, etc. But no Baldwin?

I will do a few more Baldwins (already have one in the can right now), from concert grand all the way down to an Acrosonic spinet, and so further clutter the market with my full set of virtual Baldwins!

Last edited by danshousestudio; 24th January 2018 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: grammar
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I chose UVI Workstation because the simple player is 100% free, available in 32 & 64 bit versions
Hmmm i may have to look into this, then.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
... it's like a new breakfast joint. I mean, breakfast has pretty much been perfected already, but these places still keep popping up.
Nice analogy. You gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 25th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I’m really partial to UVI as a sample player. Above all, it’s quite amazing how little disk space these Flac files use, like a 10 to 1 ratio.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

New Steinway D just released for $19 on sale:

Production Voices- Concert Grand Compact (1 mic, works on free Sforzando player so don't need Kontakt).

Concert Grand Compact - Production VoicesProduction Voices

Also, VI Labs- Ravenscroft 275 is 50% off (now $99)

Ravenscroft 275: World's Finest Piano by VI Labs - Audio Plugin Deals
Old 26th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanallen ➡️

Production Voices- Concert Grand Compact (1 mic, works on free Sforzando player so don't need Kontakt).

Tempted to jump on this one but already have Vintage D. Anyone given it a spin yet?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverb ➡️
Tempted to jump on this one but already have Vintage D. Anyone given it a spin yet?
There are a few posts with initial impressions of Productions Voices new Steinway D here:

Steinway D Concert Grand - Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums

Remember this is an introductory "lite" version with only one mic. Huge versions and tweaks are forthcoming...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanallen ➡️

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverb ➡️
I got it and really like it!
It's not perfect, but no sample library is and a lot of other Steinway D's costing 10 times this are less perfect than this one!
It's a single mic (pair) perspective from just outside the lid, no mic mixing so you do get a slightly comb filtered sound (note slightly, not as bad as most other single mic pair sample lib from this close, including Production Grand).
I like it better than 'outside' mic perspective of the Production Grand, better overall tone.
And at this price it's really a no brainer, no matter how many Steinway D's you already have. Personally think it's better at / easier with pop too than the Production Grand. Getting a really good tone and vibe running this through some reverb and a little tape saturation and just banging some chords Really great sound!
Old 26th January 2018
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Btw here's a video comparing it to Production Grand:
Concert Grand Compact vs Production Grand Compact from Jason Chapman on Vimeo

And for fun I just compared it to the €249 pianoteq 6. The €15 Concert Grand Compact sounds a million times better
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncussion ➡️
Btw here's a video comparing it to Production Grand:
Concert Grand Compact vs Production Grand Compact from Jason Chapman on Vimeo

And for fun I just compared it to the €249 pianoteq 6. The €15 Concert Grand Compact sounds a million times better
Not a million times, of course, but better I agree. But the Production Grand full version is absolutely the best sampled piano I've ever heard.

Andrejs
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locojohn ➡️
.. But the Production Grand full version is absolutely the best sampled piano I've ever heard.

Andrejs
In sample quality I agree. I have the Production Grand LE (all the mic perspectives in 16bit 44.1Khz). But I'm not the biggest fan of a Yamaha C7 in general.
I can't wait for the full Concert Grand version. I think the more distant mics are really going to be my thing, and being able to mix all the different mics. Will probably need a new computer to run it though.. it will be very big.
Old 28th January 2018 | Show parent
PMF
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
a bit expensive but IMO worth a try..

the Synthogy Ivory Studio Studio Grands.

Really nice Sound, especially the 225
Old 29th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
One of the very best IMO.
Old 2nd February 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Here are a few examples of Production Voices Concert Grand Compact in action:

I hope these clips enable you to make a decision whether the current offer of $39 / €32 is worth it! In my honest opinion – it's worth it much more than that! Absolutely wonderfully sampled Steinway D!

Andrejs

Last edited by locojohn; 2nd February 2018 at 05:22 PM..
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
I’m really partial to UVI as a sample player. Above all, it’s quite amazing how little disk space these Flac files use, like a 10 to 1 ratio.
I concur; super-efficient and stable. Those guys know their stuff.

VILabs were right to pick UVI over Kontakt.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
FLAC only gets about a 2:1 compression ratio since it's lossless. MP3 gets about 10:1 at 128k, but it's lossy. UVI use a razor to carefully trim down their samples to keep them small, but have very good looping. The sound of their orchestra is clean, almost clinical, but excellent despite coming in at under 4gb compared to other competing libraries that are several times larger.
📝 Reply