Quantcast
Best Piano Vst? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Piano in blue oozes soul IMO. It's my favorite for it's color. Definitely not a versatile library...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Still a fan of art vista.
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I have all the Ivory II Grands and Alicia's Keys, stopped using them after I got the Imperfect Samples Steinway (Walnut). The Imperfect Samples Fazioli is great too but I tend to use the Steinway more, it's more versatie to me, Fazoli is better for classical and cinematic stuffs, same as the 8DIO Legacy piano. If you want a virtual piano with character, you can't beat the Imperfect Samples or the 8DIO, if you just want something that's super clean, the Ivory and Alicia's Keys are good enough and won't strain your computer.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vienna Imperial. Then VI True Pianos.
Old 2nd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That imperfect Samples Walnut is stunning...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 ➑️
Yeah, I have all the Ivory II Grands and Alicia's Keys, stopped using them after I got the Imperfect Samples Steinway (Walnut). The Imperfect Samples Fazioli is great too but I tend to use the Steinway more, it's more versatie to me, Fazoli is better for classical and cinematic stuffs, same as the 8DIO Legacy piano. If you want a virtual piano with character, you can't beat the Imperfect Samples or the 8DIO, if you just want something that's super clean, the Ivory and Alicia's Keys are good enough and won't strain your computer.
Does the IS piano you play at home sound exactly like the first demo on the pro steinway website? The demo seems to have an irritating high pitched drone to it- like a blown tweeter. Is this the way it really sounds or is this bad recording?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What pro Steinway website? Is there a link to it?
If the IS walnut Steinway has an irritating high pitch droning noise like a blown tweeter I doubt I'd even use it, let alone reccommending it to anyone. Was the demo on soundcloud? I find soundcloud's audio quality is quite bad usually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
Does the IS piano you play at home sound exactly like the first demo on the pro steinway website? The demo seems to have an irritating high pitched drone to it- like a blown tweeter. Is this the way it really sounds or is this bad recording?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I own Ivory I, Galaxy Steinway, Galaxy Bosendorfer, Galaxy Vintage D, and True Pianos. Vintage D has long been my go-to piano VI for most of what I do (Country-Americana-Texas Music). Lately whenever that seemed a shade too clinical and perfect, the Production Voices Estate Grand (a Kawaii) many times has been right for a track. It sits somewhere between a "perfect" grand and a too-funky upright, with just the right amount of character to help it breathe and make it sound more real.

Steinways are great, but I have sorta always longed for a good Yamaha sound. There's something about the "clarity yet with warmth" thing I hear in Yamaha recordings that has always eluded me. The Ivory Yamaha doesn't really cut it for me (maybe Ivory II is better, I dunno. I never upgraded....) A friend made me some Alicia's Keys demos from some of my midi files and it wasn't quite what I was looking for either.

So when Production Voices came out with their Production Grand (Yamaha C-7) I bit on it and I gotta say I'm loving it! Being able to blend the mic perspectives (albeit not a feature unique to this library) is wonderful and definitely contributes to the 3D-ness without having to rely totally on reverb to create space around the sound. And the "Authentic Pedaling" feature really helps the realism factor. To play a chord and then press the sustain pedal and hear all that resonance open up is spooky sometimes

A lot of tonal variation can be achieved by blending the different mikes, but you can also process each mic individually with eq, compression, etc. You can have each mike perspective come up on it's own track in a DAW just as if they were individually recorded tracks. Want to add some top to the ribbons but leave the inside mikes alone? Can do....Want to take a little "spikiness" off the hammer mikes yet leave the other mikes unaffected? No prob....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz03 ➑️
What pro Steinway website? Is there a link to it?
If the IS walnut Steinway has an irritating high pitch droning noise like a blown tweeter I doubt I'd even use it, let alone reccommending it to anyone. Was the demo on soundcloud? I find soundcloud's audio quality is quite bad usually.
Imperfect Samples
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I think you're talking about the various noise FX. In my extreme version, it comes with noise FXes like pedal, key up and fingering noises, they are controllable with Kontackt. Somehow IS always seems to set the noise FX to very high in their demos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➑️
Old 3rd February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, it's the pedal movement noise. I think it sounds gross. I'd turn that down if it were me, but my God, those samples are STUNNING! I must have the walnut AND ebony grand samples now!
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own :-

Garritan Steinway Pro
Orange Tree Samples Rosewood Grand
XLN Audio Addictive Keys
PianoTeq 4 Pro
Alicia Keys Piano
True Pianos 1.9
SampleTekk Black and White Grands

I'm a bit of a piano fanatic (being a pianist) and am constantly striving for the most realistic and playable grand piano library.

From the collection I own my most used is the Garritan Steinway Pro. This is a really nice versatile sounding piano and is very playable. My main criticism is that it perhaps sounds a little too sterile and 2D?

The Orange Tree Samples Rosewood grand is a very nice sounding and characterful Yamaha C7. This piano does not sound sterile and has a nice characterful and organic sound. I'm not a fan of how it sounds at ppp/pp dynamics and this library has a little higher noise floor than all the other piano libraries I own. If these issues were sorted out I would probably find myself using this more than the Garritan Steinway.

Alicia Keys piano is quite nice but it sounds perhaps a little more lifeless than the Garritan Steinway and Rosewood Piano. Also, the top octave or so sounds quite synthetic to my ears.

PianoTeq 4 Pro has come on leaps and bounds from the first three versions of PianoTeq! The gap between this and the big multisample piano libraries is becoming increasingly smaller and is very playable. PianoTeq still sounds a little synthetic compared to the other libraries in certain contexts but if they keep on improving it at the same rate as the previous versions I don't think it will be long before this is up there with the best large multisample pianos!

True Pianos and the Sampletekk Black and White grands have been left behind by the competition now. Whilst they are quite capable libraries, they lack the depth and realism of the current top piano vsti's.

Finally, Addictive Keys. I haven't done a proper comparison of this with my other libraries yet because my studio pc doesn't have an internet connection and the offline install method doesn't work
However I've compared it to the other piano vsti's on my laptop through some Beyer DT880pro headphones and I loved the sound and playability of it! It is also extremely tweakable and you can get a huge range of sounds out of it.
Through my headphones I preferred this to all the others generally and think that XLN's online demos don't really do it justice!
I'm hoping to sort out the offline install on my studio pc in the near future and will report back to see if I still think the same way about it.

Ok now if I didn't own any of these and I wanted to buy a top notch piano library today I would probably buy the Imperfect Samples Steinway and Fazioli pianos. From the demos I've heard online these sound absolutely stunning! I would probably also jump aboard the Pianoteq bandwagon out of curiosity for future releases as this product doesn't have a ceiling on how good they can make the piano's sound.
Old 25th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
If you are driving down the street looking for, say, a sandwich shop, but you can't be bothered to look to the left or right and see one right next to you but instead choose to pull over, knock on someone's door and ask them where one is, do you really find that a productive use of anyone's time?
If they lived in a community called 'Sandwich Slutz', which had been built specifically to talk about and rate different types of sandwiches, and every person in that town enjoyed discussing and rating sandwiches and had been drawn there due to its pre-eminence as a place known for discussing the merits of sandwiches, some of which were available locally - yes, I think that would be a pretty good use of their time.
Old 30th September 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I had the ivory and it was great. now i have NY grand piano and Alicia's keys and its ok but not stunning.
I had also the Vienna Imperial and i liked it alot. I visited the IS site and got very impressed. Thinking about buying.
Old 1st October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Imperfect Samples. Man, I love the Braunschweig upright. Its not everyone's cup of tea. Reminds me of soft rain. Kinda dark. I can play it for hours.
Old 1st October 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While the group buy sale is going on, I HIGHLY recommend you grab OrangeTree's Evolution Rosewood Grand. Absolutely stunning C7.
Old 1st October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
The Orange Tree Samples Rosewood grand is a very nice sounding and characterful Yamaha C7. This piano does not sound sterile and has a nice characterful and organic sound. I'm not a fan of how it sounds at ppp/pp dynamics and this library has a little higher noise floor than all the other piano libraries I own. If these issues were sorted out I would probably find myself using this more than the Garritan Steinway.
Thought I'd better update this. Orange Tree Samples released an update of Rosewood Grand which has removed the noise I was talking about and also added a different mic perspective.
Since the update this library has now become my goto for everything. This library now sounds stunning and is extremely inspiring to play.

With the 50% off in the group buy this is a total bargain!!
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Production voices - Production Grand!!!

Just got this piano (LE version) and it's FINALLY A GOOD SAMPLED PIANO!

Please forgive the capitals but I've been searching for a good piano sample library for years. And I always ended up hating every single one of them. But this one is it, the real deal
Here's a quick demo:
https://soundcloud.com/justintonatio...rand-demo-faur

It shows off only one of the many sounds this piano has.
It's a Yamaha DC7II (disKlavier version of the C7, so automated sampling, very even response) sampled in a top studio.
Comes with 8 mic perspectives that are in phase and can be mixed.
Should work for any genre, classical, jazz, pop, rock, dance, etc.
It has a natural tone and quality and flexibility that is in my opinion completely unmatched.

Why is this piano not famous yet??
I also have Galaxy Vintage D, Ivory II pianos, The Giant, Black Grand, 7CG, and quite a few others, and the Production Grand is a serious step above all of them in my opinion.
One catch though. It's recorded pretty dry (heavily treated studio, I looked it up) and a good reverb is mandatory in my opinion to bring out the proper tone, I can't stand a fully dry piano.

(edit: Btw I'm not affiliated in any way with Production Voices, simply a huge fan. Thought I'd mention this.)
Old 28th October 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncussion ➑️
Production voices - Production Grand!!!

Just got this piano (LE version) and it's FINALLY A GOOD SAMPLED PIANO!

Please forgive the capitals but I've been searching for a good piano sample library for years. And I always ended up hating every single one of them. But this one is it, the real deal
Here's a quick demo:
https://soundcloud.com/justintonatio...rand-demo-faur

It shows off only one of the many sounds this piano has.
It's a Yamaha DC7II (disKlavier version of the C7, so automated sampling, very even response) sampled in a top studio.
Comes with 8 mic perspectives that are in phase and can be mixed.
Should work for any genre, classical, jazz, pop, rock, dance, etc.
It has a natural tone and quality and flexibility that is in my opinion completely unmatched.

Why is this piano not famous yet??
I also have Galaxy Vintage D, Ivory II pianos, The Giant, Black Grand, 7CG, and quite a few others, and the Production Grand is a serious step above all of them in my opinion.
One catch though. It's recorded pretty dry (heavily treated studio, I looked it up) and a good reverb is mandatory in my opinion to bring out the proper tone, I can't stand a fully dry piano.

(edit: Btw I'm not affiliated in any way with Production Voices, simply a huge fan. Thought I'd mention this.)
Another vote for this piano - amazing sound, playability, and flexibility. Definitely one of the best kept secrets in piano sample sets today. This and Vienna Imperial cover 90% of the work I do. Imperfect Samples fill in for the "character piano" gaps.
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I found that, although very very nice sounding, Imperfect's Fazioli has soft attacks that makes it quite hard to cut through a mix. I am in love with it for solo or atmospheric work though. I purchased a copy of NI Alicia Keys and Galaxy II, both work great if your piece has lots of low ends
Old 29th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncussion ➑️
Here's another version from the same MIDI file.
Different mic perspectives (vintage mics mix this time), lowered (compressed) velocity of the MIDI file which wasn't the best match, and put on less reverb:
https://soundcloud.com/justintonation/pg-faure-vintage

Edit: And here another one. Starting to get to know the piano better
https://soundcloud.com/justintonatio...nd-demo-modern
Think this one fits the music best.
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
After being disappointed that Imperfect Samples seem to be 'dead' (or dead enough that i don't trust giving them my money), i'm glad to find the Production Voices piano!

I'm tempted by Piano in Blue or the Gold version of Production Voices - Production Piano....

Hmmm! Need them both...
Old 1st November 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Also have Piano in Blue.
Though it is also very pleasant to play it's not nearly on the same level as the Production Grand in sound and versatility in my opinion.

Edit:
Here's the Production Grand LE modern room (AKG C414) mic perspective playing.
https://soundcloud.com/justintonatio...nd-demo-modern
And here's the Piano in Blue playing the same MIDI file (rendered by someone else not by me).
https://app.box.com/s/4r7mvt9lvaiizka5543t
Old 1st November 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm currently using Piano In Blue. It's got a lot of character, sounds realistic and is a lot of fun to play. The Braunschweig Piano from Imperfect Samples is also great for those solo piano with vocal pieces.

If you can find it, try Vintaudios' Clinton and Boston Uprights. Not the most detailed compared to current sample sets, but they still sound great.

Rain Piano is another good one that kind of has a Tom Waits vibe to it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daexpert ➑️
GOD's First Commandment: If someone on an internet forum asks a question that has EVER been asked before and discussed, this makes GOD angry. They deserve to be STONED to DEATH for not using the search function. God vehemently forbids any discussing, talking, thinking about, or fantasizing about any topic, subject, thought, or word, that has EVER, been discussed by ANYONE else. GOD will not allow any exchanging of ideas on any internet forum, ever, for any reason, because it is vile and wicked.
+1
Old 1st November 2013
Lives for gear

At this point there's little difference in sound. The companies are using good gear, techniques and rooms.

Only issue is workflow and customization.

In my opinion the "hunt" is in the keyboards playability and authenticity for carrying out an outstanding performance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➑️
If you are driving down the street looking for, say, a sandwich shop, but you can't be bothered to look to the left or right and see one right next to you but instead choose to pull over, knock on someone's door and ask them where one is, do you really find that a productive use of anyone's time?
Unless, of course, everyone who spends their time chooses to do so. Then there is no waste.
Old 2nd December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another vote for Production Voices . Also great customer service by Jason who was willing to extend the Black Friday Sale to Cyber Monday. Downloading the Estate Grand now!
Old 2nd December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hands down Production Voices Production Grand:
Production Grand Piano | ProductionVoices.com
Old 2nd December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Ok...I fell for that one...bought the PRODUCTION GRAND GOLD
πŸ“ Reply