The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 16th July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➡️
Any interest in some noodling with Ivory American D, Ravenscroft 275, Pianoteq and Acoustic Samples C7 ?

I don't do canned MIDI files as each instrument evokes a certain feeling in me that has me adapting to the instrument as I play.

Also this is pop/jazz/bway.. No classical. Let me know and I'll post some files.
Definitely interested.
Old 17th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➡️
What flaws in the PV C7 are you talking about? Can you be more specific?

I've also been in touch with Jason at PV and working on some demos for him with his C7. I'll be doing some indepth testing with it and perhaps with the new Steinway D.

He wanted me to send my current demo using his C7 midi file to him (which I did) to run it through the Steinway D. Of course the velocities were wrong but he want my opinion on it and I could at least hear the piano performed to one of my pieces.

It's still too early to tell how much I like it compared to other Steinway D libs. I'll need to get my hands on it and play it live.
Oh I didn't mean flaws in the PV C7 in particular. I meant "flaws" in the Yamaha C7 sound in general. Flaws is the wrong word but it just isn't my favorite piano. Compared to a well tuned Steinway D the C7 is a bit thin / bright with a bit of
"harsh" resonances in its overtones that result in an inferior tone in my opinion. Especially with classical music its not as good a fit and tone as a good Steinway D.
And Production Voices sampled their C7 in such a neutral way (though perhaps lacking a little bit of "mud" / upper to mid bass region) that these qualities of the C7 aren't masked.
But don't interpret my words too strongly, these are subtle things. The Production Voices C7 is the best tuned C7 I've come across, and it's sampled with a big velocity range (will probably need some adjusting before playing MIDI files or it'll likely play too forte).

But in any case, I know the Production Grand very well and think it's the best sampled piano I tried (and I tried most). But it needs a bit of tweeking to get a sweet tone out of it as it's very "hifi detailed / neutral / dynamic" and in the end it's still a C7 of course.
So this is also why I'm so excited about their upcoming Steinway D. I can already tell from the demos that it's a very good sounding and tuned D. And seeing how well the C7 was sampled and the D is even more meticously sampled and in the same studio then it can't be other than amazing I think
The major drawback seems that it is going to be huge in size. But hey that's a technical thing, not a compromise on sound, I couldn't care less.
Old 22nd July 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I recently bought Bechstein Digital Grand which sounded great but was a huge CPU hog.
So I went for VI Labs True Pianos which sound great and has great playability.
I'm searching for piano libraries that respond well to MIDI controllers (Roland A88), support half pedalling and aren't a huge monster on the CPU or disk.
How's Hammersmith from Soniccouture in this respect? Any other libraries to check out?
Old 22nd July 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali ➡️
I recently bought Bechstein Digital Grand which sounded great but was a huge CPU hog.
So I went for VI Labs True Pianos which sound great and has great playability.
I'm searching for piano libraries that respond well to MIDI controllers (Roland A88), support half pedalling and aren't a huge monster on the CPU or disk.
How's Hammersmith from Soniccouture in this respect? Any other libraries to check out?
Pianoteq responds verywell to controllers and it is very light CPU and HD wise. It is not sampled, it is based on physical modeling and it sound quite good.
Old 27th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
Pianoteq responds verywell to controllers and it is very light CPU and HD wise. It is not sampled, it is based on physical modeling and it sound quite good.
It is currently on sale until 7/31 - at least for the standard edition. I'm about to pull the trigger on buying it. Just came here to see opinions on it. I just have so many pianos LOL. Especially for someone who doesn't really play. So it's funny this is the first thing I see.

I have to put a plug in here for PSP's Piano Verb. They have a free version, but I bought the full version on sale. I've found all of my pianos sound better/more real with it. It adds that reverb from the strings. For someone who likes plug and play, it's so much better than fussing with a reverb. You still need the room reverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzilizi ➡️
It is currently on sale until 7/31 - at least for the standard edition. I'm about to pull the trigger on buying it. Just came here to see opinions on it. I just have so many pianos LOL. Especially for someone who doesn't really play. So it's funny this is the first thing I see.

I have to put a plug in here for PSP's Piano Verb. They have a free version, but I bought the full version on sale. I've found all of my pianos sound better/more real with it. It adds that reverb from the strings. For someone who likes plug and play, it's so much better than fussing with a reverb. You still need the room reverb.
Nice, im tempted to buy it.
Im really searching for a library that offers great polyphony and voice count, as that it doesn't cut notes when pedal is pressed down.
How does Ivory pianos behave in this respect?
Quote:
Especially for someone who doesn't really play.
You may regret buying it then.
Old 30th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM ➡️
You may regret buying it then.
I have midi.

Why would I regret buying it? Just curious.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali ➡️
How does Ivory pianos behave in this respect?
Ivory's voice count will depend on your drive speed. I haven't had a problem with it for a long time, probably since back in the USB2 days. So for a decent USB3 or SSD drive even you won't have problem.

Btw, I agree Pianoteq's playing experience is actually really nice, better than all the sampled pianos I've tried so far, and also better than Roland's V-Piano (just my opinion, they're pretty similar though)

But after the recording is finished, you'd be more happy with the result of a sampled piano. I suppose if you could get Pianoteq to have a very similar velocity response to your favorite sampled piano you could record with Pianoteq and then change it to the sampled piano after.. But thats a bit too much hassle for me
Quote:
I have midi.

Why would I regret buying it? Just curious.
Sure. It was explained rather extensively already here, but to make it short: for the pure "sound" Pianoteq is one of the worst around, for "playability" - number one. Sure there are many situations that could be an exception from the above statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Faber ➡️
But after the recording is finished, you'd be more happy with the result of a sampled piano. I suppose if you could get Pianoteq to have a very similar velocity response to your favorite sampled piano you could record with Pianoteq and then change it to the sampled piano after.. But thats a bit too much hassle for me
Agree.

Just to be clear, I actually love and "use" Pianoteq 99% of time during nearly any day.
Old 30th July 2017
Deleted fe72b38
Having heard/tried almost all of them, I still find Ivory to be my favourite.
I'm not as well-heeled as many of you so I tend to keep it to lower-end Pianos that sell for under $150 US.

I own NI Alicia's keys (bought for $50 US on a sale) and it's okay but my two favorites are UVI Grand Piano Model D and SONiVOX Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5.

SONiVOX Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5 is VST, AU and AAX and sells for only $70 US. At that price, most should pick it up. It also goes on sale often and can be picked up for very cheap. SONiVOX is part of the same company that owns AKAI, M-Audio, Alesis etc...

Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5 sounds gorgeous and it is based on a Steinway.

https://soundcloud.com/sonivox/sets/...t-ensemble-2-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pUNGY4-ud8&t=1s
Old 31st July 2017 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline78 ➡️
SONiVOX Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5 is VST, AU and AAX and sells for only $70 US.
$35 right now at AudioDeluxe.

Quote:
SONiVOX is part of the same company that owns AKAI, M-Audio, Alesis etc...
They're also ex-Kurzweil.
Old 31st July 2017
Here for the gear

We really enjoy the Kontakt 5 Piano's from Native Instruments. All of them! It sounds so real!

-Anthony
Synergy Sound
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not as well-heeled as many of you so I tend to keep it to lower-end Pianos that sell for under $150 US.

I own NI Alicia's keys (bought for $50 US on a sale) and it's okay but my two favorites are UVI Grand Piano Model D and SONiVOX Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5.

SONiVOX Eighty Eight Ensemble 2.5 is VST, AU and AAX and sells for only $70 US. At that price, most should pick it up. It also goes on sale often and can be picked up for very cheap. SONiVOX is part of the same company that owns AKAI, M-Audio, Alesis etc...

Thanks for drawing attention to this set of samples - definitely sounded impressive and authentic on the youtube demo. Another one for the "may buy" list.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM ➡️
Sure. It was explained rather extensively already here, but to make it short: for the pure "sound" Pianoteq is one of the worst around, for "playability" - number one. Sure there are many situations that could be an exception from the above statement.
Thanks. I think that is why it was on my buy later list. I actually like the sound of two of the free pianos but they got a new one that pushed me over.

And if I can make it so that I hardly have to touch my keyboard to get a loudish sound? My hands will appreciate it. All my Kontakt pianos require me to pound the keys which hurts my hands. So I don't play much.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Plug in boutique also has it on sale for really cheap a lot. I think I paid $17 for it last summer.
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For me, I mostly use the following piano VSTs for Gospel and R&B music:

* EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos (Gold)
* Modartt Pianoteq 5 Standard
* XLN Audio Addictive Keys

Overall, Quantum Leap Pianos is my preferred choice based on sound. However, I find that Addictive Keys is very suitable for most occasions, such as when I need a piano to sit back in the mix, and it is the VST option that I tend to use most often these days.
Old 7th September 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Pianoteq 6 just had an impressive update for all instruments, definitely a no brainer upgrade. Even free for some users.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

13 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I was recently reminded of just how important the controller keyboard is.

I played a Nord Piano for five years, and never much dug my VI pianos: Garritan, Piano In Blue, Galaxy Vintage D, TrueKeys and the stuff in Komplete. I prefered the internal 79MB sample of my Nord to all of them. I recently sold the Nord and got a cheap-as-chips Yamaha MX88, and boy, it transforms TrueKeys into the world-class library other people always said it was.

My impression is that the Nord's velocity curve is very specifically tailored to its internal sounds, as it should be, but it is somehow different from the norm. The GHS action in the MX88 is in all of Yamaha's budget weighted action models (MOXF/P45/P115 and a bunch of home pianos), and since they sell them by the truckload, it would make sense for VI developers to take that as a median.

The GHS action is not even that great, it feels a bit mushy, but playing TrueKeys on it was a revelation.
Old 8th September 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And if I can make it so that I hardly have to touch my keyboard to get a loudish sound? My hands will appreciate it. All my Kontakt pianos require me to pound the keys which hurts my hands. So I don't play much.
You can mitigate that problem by putting a MIDI velocity scaling plugin before Kontakt in your plugin chain and having it multiply your velocities by whatever factor it takes to get to a more comfortable playing force.
Old 11th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Garritan CFX changed my life.

Beautiful sound, attack, release, sustain, velocity layers, dynamic, ambience microphone. I am extremly happy with it. They added half pedaling in update.
Go for full ver. I am not even using any custom settings/tweaks just factory settings. Classic default and it is amazing.

I don't like Ivory anymore.
Old 11th September 2017
Gear Maniac

The new Pianoteq release sounds much better than v5 and is a lot of fun to play. There still are plenty of VIs that sound better to my ears.
Old 13th October 2017
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Has anyone picked up or have any thoughts on the new Production Grand 2 based on the Yamaha C7? They have put out a few different version including this compact one:

https://www.productionvoices.com/pro...grand-compact/

Would be interested in any feedback.
Old 13th October 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverb ➡️
Has anyone picked up or have any thoughts on the new Production Grand 2 based on the Yamaha C7? They have put out a few different version including this compact one:

https://www.productionvoices.com/pro...grand-compact/

Would be interested in any feedback.
I think the large Production Voices pianos sound quite good.

Unlike its bigger brothers, the Compact has limited options and mics and does not require a Kontakt licence as it runs on Sforzando.

The compact was just released and is on sale for $29 for a few days. Tempting...
Old 14th October 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanallen ➡️
I think the large Production Voices pianos sound quite good.

Unlike its bigger brothers, the Compact has limited options and mics and does not require a Kontakt licence as it runs on Sforzando.

The compact was just released and is on sale for $29 for a few days. Tempting...
Unfortunately times have changed and with the introduction of Waves Rhapsody - its a bit unacceptable to have only one microphone position, for some of us, which is why I am unlikely to invest in the Compact version. For the price though it is still a bit of a steal. My big issue with Production Voices is that their online demos are somewhat paltry, its fairly difficult to evaluate the sound of their pianos from the demos, to be absolutely sure this is what I need. I know $29 may be disposable money for some, but I do wish their demos included a bit more real music playing, especially by a gifted pianist

Spectrasonics Keyscape is a really good example, that gives you an excellent opportunity to hear what some of the key instruments sound like, from their demos on Youtube. Obviously this adds to the cost of the product, which ultimately you pay for(i.e the expensive advertising), but at least you get a much better chance to know what you are paying for, before you do. This is pertinent in the non-refundable world of sample purchases.
Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Got the ProductionVoices Grand Gold and love it for its detail and (full of) life.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune ➡️
Let me alter the question a little: Imagine that your were given the choice of any piano VST- but you only got ONE patch and couldn't alter it. So you are choosing just on the sonic richness of that ONE sample, not to be mixed with other instruments but played solo- which would it be?
At my YouTube site (below), you'll hear a number of different samples, in many different classical genres, and in many different types of solo rep.

When I'm practicing at the keyboard (usually with phones) I like pretty much every vst on the market that gives me an immediate and more or less realistic feel. The ears often accommodate, after awhile, to a wide variety of vst sounds. Much depends on the rep and on your mood at any given time.

But LISTENING to a recording made with a vst.... that's an ENTIRELY different kettle! If that's the main purpose---to create a realistic RECORDING of a solo piano---then for my focus, which is Bach, Scarlatti, etc... ie really dead white male composers--the much-maligned HZP is the only game in town.

It's the only vst--to my ears--that sounds like an actually recorded (Steinway D). But to PLAY or PRACTICE on?

Useless.

So...as I say... depends on the use you're putting it to: playing for yourself or something totally different: making a realistic-sounding recording.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dohgrant/playlists

Heads up... some of these recordings use the HZP and some use the Orchestral Tools "Steinway D". Both very bad to play, by the way... minimal layers, poor touch, bad pedaling, etc.... but you CAN make very realistic-sounding recordings out of them, at least in classical rep.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewisgrant ➡️
... then for my focus, which is Bach, Scarlatti, etc... ie really dead white male composers...
REEEEEEEEEEEE.........!!!
📝 Reply