Quantcast
Best Piano Vst? - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Strange, I have tested Pianoteq with Rachmaninov concertos and it has never gone over 20% CPU use, I am on an i7 4790k, RMe fireface UC, Windows 10, 64 samples buffer. It is really súper eficient, I have even tested it in a First gen Surface pro and it runned smoothly.
Old 22nd August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➡️
Strange, I have tested Pianoteq with Rachmaninov concertos and it has never gone over 20% CPU use, I am on an i7 4790k, RMe fireface UC, Windows 10, 64 samples buffer. It is really súper eficient, I have even tested it in a First gen Surface pro and it runned smoothly.
You have 4 cores at 3.6Ghz. I have 2 at 2.6Ghz. Your processor is about 3 times faster than mine! My CPU usage averaged about 25% except for spike after spike, I think each one representing a new note being played. Too many notes and the spike would go over 100%.
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybabes ➡️
Ivory II Concert D I can load up and then it's three hours later...
Agree. The American Concert D is very immersive and great fun to play. My issue has been getting it to sit well in a pop/rock mix, which got me looking for a C7 to compliment the D. After researching and listening to many demo tracks, I've ordered the Garritan Abbey Road CFX, which seems to have both the C7 crispness and the power of a 9' concert grand, with an exceptionally well-recorded stereo image (potentially less phasing and clutter in the mix). I'll reserve further comment until I've had it for awhile; pretty confident though. Auditioning piano VIs is tricky because the best ones are generally too big to offer functional demo versions.

Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
You have 4 cores at 3.6Ghz. I have 2 at 2.6Ghz. Your processor is about 3 times faster than mine! My CPU usage averaged about 25% except for spike after spike, I think each one representing a new note being played. Too many notes and the spike would go over 100%.
I solved my spiking issue-my audio was misconfigured. But PT still uses about a quarter of my CPU where TP uses well under 10%.
Old 12th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
im sorry if this is already covered as i haven't got the time to go trough every post yet

does any of you good folks know of any vst pianos that blends easy with vocals right out of the box ?
or are very easy to tweak only with a little eq needed

im thinking piano vocal driven songs just to be clear about what i mean

its not that i cant eq but it would be very cool to have one that blends easy right out of the box for practicing piano and vocals together

im very tempted by Ravenscroft 275 by VI labs, it sounds amazing on audio demos

i really like those mids

a shame we cant try before we buy any sampled vst pianos as audio demos don't reveal how good they are to play on

playability is just as important as the sound IMO
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer ➡️
does any of you good folks know of any vst pianos that blends easy with vocals right out of the box ?
I guess there are several, but Piano in Blue is quite atmospheric and doesn't have a great deal of high frequencies, so it doesn't get in the way of vocals. It's a nice, "old"-sounding library.

https://cinesamples.com/product/piano-in-blue
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Rainy day ballad. IS Fazioli
Beatle Ballad IS Braunsweig Upright
Pop Alecias's Keys
Rock Guitar piano NI Abbey Road Pianos
Old 13th November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
cool guys, thanks

i just visited sampletekk`s site and they had a demo with a vocal in the
7CG piano sound demos
with piano and vocals only, just what im looking for right now
it was quite nice with vocals the regular version that cost 99$

im checking out sound demos of the other pianos suggested right now

just in case others are interested in pianos that blends easy with vocals , listen to :Take Me As I Am FISHER

7CG

i have a question for VI Labs ravenscroft 275 owners if you don't mind
i really like it and almost bought it today hehe
but where do it shine in a context of a song/what style and with what other other instruments ?
i don't write songs that doesn't have vocals in them

i do country, country rock, folk rock, classic 90`s rock inspired up-tempo and ballads, acoustic all kinds of stuff, acoustic ballads

i have only made one old fashion country song, i sold it and it got a lot of radio time here in Norway
it still gets played 3 years after the release
so i have to say it was a success for my first old fashion Country song ever

its called Får æ lov
with Børge Pedersen as the artist
you wont understand a word as its in Norvegian
just like my other songs LOL

Thanks for answers in advance
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment ➡️
I love the EastWest QL Pianos.
If they are the same as what's in their subscription bundle... Good lord (not the sandwich one)...

Incredible.

That monthly EW sub is hard to beat.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
cool guys, thanks

i just visited sampletekk`s site and they had a demo with a vocal in the
7CG piano sound demos
with piano and vocals only, just what im looking for right now
it was quite nice with vocals the regular version that cost 99$

im checking out sound demos of the other pianos suggested right now

just in case others are interested in pianos that blends easy with vocals , listen to :Take Me As I Am FISHER

7CG

but where do it shine in a context of a song/what style and with what other other instruments ?
i don't write songs that doesn't have vocals in them

i do country, country rock, folk rock, classic 90`s rock inspired up-tempo and ballads, acoustic all kinds of stuff, acoustic ballads

i have only made one old fashion country song, i sold it and it got a lot of radio time here in Norway
it still gets played 3 years after the release
so i have to say it was a success for my first old fashion Country song ever

its called Får æ lov
with Børge Pedersen as the artist
you wont understand a word as its in Norvegian
just like my other songs LOL

Thanks for answers in advance
there is a new one on the market and for me its extemely adjustable and it goes beyond all piano libraries with fine adjustments i have you can say 90% of what is out there, not much comes close not even VSL Imperial grand , the demos they provide don't reflect this product,
I went through all my libraries back to back and BECHSTEIN GRAND stayed on top

https://www.bechstein-digital.com/
for vocal and piano I would say this is it

ravencroft i find thin in sound , not much you can do about that
7CG only one pedal control
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger ➡️
there is a new one on the market and for me its extemely adjustable and it goes beyond all piano libraries with fine adjustments i have you can say 90% of what is out there, not much comes close not even VSL Imperial grand , the demos they provide don't reflect this product,
I went through all my libraries back to back and BECHSTEIN GRAND stayed on top

https://www.bechstein-digital.com/
for vocal and piano I would say this is it

ravencroft i find thin in sound , not much you can do about that
7CG only one pedal control
Yikes!!

The Bechstein looks pretty crazy.

Crazy as insanely good.

Like the M-S processing.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Very interesting. This is a new library..?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
Very interesting. This is a new library..?
yes came out a couple of months ago they just released the english manual thats how new it is, the sound at its base is pretty dry so it can fit in any mix and controlled

have you tried Pianoteq new grand, finally a add on i Like unlike the previous add ons this is warm

https://www.pianoteq.com/grotrian
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
yes came out a couple of months ago they just released the english manual thats how new it is, the sound at its base is pretty dry so it can fit in any mix and controlled
Right. The demos sound very, very good.
Old 13th November 2016
Deleted 9d8db46
Actually prefer the Grotrian (Pianoteq) to the Bechstein, given the samples provided. The Bechstein sounds so much like so many other sampled instrument, it's more like yet another flavor . . . granted, with some very enticing tweakability. For what I do, the Pianoteq seems to provide more of a "base sauce" that I can manipulate to where I want it.
Old 13th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Pianoteq question,

Can i buy the Pianoteq 5.x Stage player and select Grotrian as one of the two packs for $149 or whatever?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodshonf ➡️
Pianoteq question,

Can i buy the Pianoteq 5.x Stage player and select Grotrian as one of the two packs for $149 or whatever?
no thats an extra purchase
Old 14th November 2016 | Show parent
CGR
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Piano VST for vocal accompaniment

Quote:
im sorry if this is already covered as i haven't got the time to go trough every post yet

its not that i cant eq but it would be very cool to have one that blends easy right out of the box for practicing piano and vocals together

im very tempted by Ravenscroft 275 by VI labs, it sounds amazing on audio demos

i really like those mids

a shame we cant try before we buy any sampled vst pianos as audio demos don't reveal how good they are to play on

playability is just as important as the sound IMO
I'd suggest 2 software pianos for this type of production:

1. Sampletekk's White Grand - a very natural sounding, wiry piano tone and good dynamics (16 velocity samples per white key I think, pedal up and pedal down + releases). Playability is pretty good too, though not in the same league as Pianoteq, Garritan CFX, Ravenscroft (which I own and appreciate for various reasons).

2. Production Voices Estate Grand (Kawai GS60 grand - 6'9") - very bright and wiry by default, but can be tamed with velocity curves on your keyboard or settings in your DAW. Lots of dynamics, and a very organic tone, especially with the 3 mic positions and ability to blend (close, mid/side & room mics). I've used this successfully on some sparse vocal/guitar/piano tracks and it sat beautifully.

I'm happy to render a MIDI file of yours with both pianos so you can assess the tone and suitability.
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
just bought Pianoteq Standard 5.

good lord it is a CPU HOG!

i'm bumping 25 - 50% CPU usage.

i am on their forum asking for help.

i've adjusted the settings per their recommendations.

i7 quad, 16gb ram, ssd drives, win 8.1

remorseful buy - i know, should have demo'd first - i went with the video demos.

sounds great, though.
Old 15th November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm on the road right now using XLN keys. Don't know if it's the most perfect emulation on the planet, but I love the nuance and feeling of physicality in the sound. Very satisfied.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
just bought Pianoteq Standard 5.

good lord it is a CPU HOG!

i'm bumping 25 - 50% CPU usage.

i am on their forum asking for help.

i've adjusted the settings per their recommendations.

i7 quad, 16gb ram, ssd drives, win 8.1

remorseful buy - i know, should have demo'd first - i went with the video demos.

sounds great, though.
Yeah, it's a pig, but you can hear the detail down to the felt on the hammers. True Pianos just doesn't sound quite as good, not bad but not perfect, but it uses only a third of the CPU on my machine.

However, since I probably wouldn't use a concert grand in a heavy mix, I dont think it makes much of a difference.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntonica ➡️
Yeah, it's a pig, but you can hear the detail down to the felt on the hammers. True Pianos just doesn't sound quite as good, not bad but not perfect, but it uses only a third of the CPU on my machine.

However, since I probably wouldn't use a concert grand in a heavy mix, I dont think it makes much of a difference.

I'm not doing heavy mixes, the detail is critical.

The mic control is fantastic.

Compared to some of the HUGE giga sample pianos i've used, Pteq kicks them 6 ways and more.

I'm doing a sparse weirdo funk jazz thing. Guitar, fretless bass, drums, and piano.

So, again, the detail is welcomed.

I will work around the cpu load.

Just like most of ITB stuff, it's a juggle.

Thanks for the response. I thought i was losing it because my sales guy said it was light on the cpu.
Deleted 9d8db46
Quote:
I'm not doing heavy mixes, the detail is critical.

The mic control is fantastic.

Compared to some of the HUGE giga sample pianos i've used, Pteq kicks them 6 ways and more.

I'm doing a sparse weirdo funk jazz thing. Guitar, fretless bass, drums, and piano.

So, again, the detail is welcomed.
Oh yeah thanks. Now I'm gonna have to upgrade to the latest version.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Piano Vst?-index.jpg  
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

Just like most of ITB stuff, it's a juggle.

Thanks for the response. I thought i was losing it because my sales guy said it was light on the cpu.
Time to get a new sales guy.

If you are all ITB, bumping the audio buffer up a notch may help.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi, I can't really comment on the context in which you might like it, because it's all so subjective isn't it? When I first got it, I was a little underwhelmed - not sure what I was expecting (not as big in the mids perhaps). I like quite a bright cutting Yamaha C3 kind of sound (even Alicia's keys is a little dark for me and I've eq'ed some of the room resonances out of AK to brighten it up, although conversely Kawai pianos are still a little too bright - just so you know where my ears are at - it's very subjective) and this wasn't quite what I wanted at first, although the bottom end was very good. After I played with it for a while and very carefully balanced the different mics I bumped the timbre shift up one and the sound came together for me. I have grown to really enjoy the sound of it, but only as I edit it, which in itself is a big plus - you can do this in a way that you probably can't on many others. In the end, no library seems to be a panacea ... although Keyscape is next as soon as I get a new SSD. Not sure if this is any help, but at least it's a first hand, if very personal perspective. The sound I have dialled is good for Billy Joel kind of stuff and funky/jazz/blues licks although I play Bach just as happily. YMMV
Old 15th November 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
ok, i JUST fired up Reaper and loaded PianoTeq Standard 5.

keep in mind, with Studio One v3.3 - PianoTeq was eating 25% to 50% CPU.

with Reaper - it's 1.5% MAX!

unreal.

it's a beautiful thing.

at least i have a solution... plus i can run all my other sims no problem.

as much as i love Studio One - functionally, it's Reaper baby.

and good lord - PianoTeq is THE POOP!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

unreal.

it's a beautiful thing.

I was holding my tongue for a bit after seeing the high CPU usage with PianoTeq comments because I've been a user for years and it's always been very low on resources so I suspected something else is going on.

With Studio One and the system in my siggie, I get about 10-15 percent CPU and with Reaper I get about 1-2% which is pretty much like hodshonf is getting. This is all default settings and pick an instrument like Bluthner or Steinway B.

I own several piano libraries and PianoTeq is way low on resources compared to some others.
As always YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 16th November 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➡️
I was holding my tongue for a bit after seeing the high CPU usage with PianoTeq comments because I've been a user for years and it's always been very low on resources so I suspected something else is going on.

With Studio One and the system in my siggie, I get about 10-15 percent CPU and with Reaper I get about 1-2% which is pretty much like hodshonf is getting. This is all default settings and pick an instrument like Bluthner or Steinway B.

I own several piano libraries and PianoTeq is way low on resources compared to some others.
As always YMMV.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the post Loopy.

Needless to say, i was profoundly disappointed running PTeq in S1.

Made my day seeing the performance in Reaper.

And your confirmation nails it.

Now i just have to relearn Reaper.

Too much fun.
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

unreal.

it's a beautiful thing.

Just curious, does Studio One play nicely with Vienna VEP5? For heavier VIs, I switch between running natively in Pro Tools or in a separate VEP5 server via AAX, which likewise removes a big load from the PT session. If the same holds true with S1 it may be another option for you.

Sky
Sky
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➡️
Hi, I can't really comment on the context in which you might like it, because it's all so subjective isn't it? When I first got it, I was a little underwhelmed - not sure what I was expecting (not as big in the mids perhaps). I like quite a bright cutting Yamaha C3 kind of sound (even Alicia's keys is a little dark for me and I've eq'ed some of the room resonances out of AK to brighten it up, although conversely Kawai pianos are still a little too bright - just so you know where my ears are at - it's very subjective) and this wasn't quite what I wanted at first, although the bottom end was very good. After I played with it for a while and very carefully balanced the different mics I bumped the timbre shift up one and the sound came together for me. I have grown to really enjoy the sound of it, but only as I edit it, which in itself is a big plus - you can do this in a way that you probably can't on many others. In the end, no library seems to be a panacea ... although Keyscape is next as soon as I get a new SSD. Not sure if this is any help, but at least it's a first hand, if very personal perspective. The sound I have dialled is good for Billy Joel kind of stuff and funky/jazz/blues licks although I play Bach just as happily. YMMV
I appreciate your take on Ravenscroft and the C7 piano sound in general. Ravenscroft was on my short list and I ended up purchasing Garritan CFX, as I was looking for a strident, detailed mid-range piano to complement my warmish American Concert D. The D has great personality for singer-songwriter styles imho, while the CFX is more clinical and quite good in denser mixes. Having both available covers pretty much all my acoustic piano needs.

Sky
📝 Reply