Best Piano Vst? - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best Piano Vst?
Old 6th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy ➑️
Ok. Apologies, I missed your post regarding dropped notes. I wanted to make sure you know that both Ivory and Ravenscroft do stream from disk. So yes, memory will help as the programs will try to load more data into memory and stream less from disk but you will always be streaming from disk.

So, for Ravenscroft, did you select SSD in the UVI interface and select 256mb as the default Cache Size under the Streaming tab?

You might want to experiment a little with that setting. Try other settings like "Fast 7200 RPM drive" and see how that or something else works.

It's not a pure science and all these programs require a little fiddling around to get the best performance for a given system.

Also, try dropping the sample rate down to 44.1k or 48k because 88k is going to tax your CPU.

Give it a try.
Cache size was much smaller. Just bumped it up to 256mb. Will noodle around with more settings and also try the lower sample rate. Usually use 44.1, will go back down. Thank you for the tips.

By the way, enjoying the Ravenscroft sound.
Old 6th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football ➑️
Cache size was much smaller. Just bumped it up to 256mb. Will noodle around with more settings and also try the lower sample rate. Usually use 44.1, will go back down. Thank you for the tips.

By the way, enjoying the Ravenscroft sound.
Glad you are enjoying it!
The Ravenscroft 275 definitely has character to the sound. To me, it has that bright Nashville sounding piano without being too tinny sounding.

Play-ability is excellent and as good as Ivory or Pianoteq in that regard.

Make sure you try the Eric Griggs and Dan Delaney settings. Search YouTube for their name and at the beginning of the video they show the settings being used.
Just copy them manually into the UVI and save as a Multi Preset.

Have fun!
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ Football
My apologies, the situation I described earlier seems to work for sampler based virtual pianos like hammersmith, fazioli, etc.

Apparently Ivory and Ravenscroft use a similar to NI's "DFD" (Direct From Disk) way to stream the sounds.

So if you could take the USB connection out of the equation and let the full speed of the ssd work as it should then your problems (dropped notes, etc) will be solved. If you have usb3 or eSata.. though Macs usually have Firewire 800 which will probably be okey too.
Old 5th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have lots of pianos.

This 11 gig vsti from sonivox, the "eighty eight", seems like an outright robbery at 18 bucks. I dunno if I can avoid it at that price.

Anyone tried this piano ?

Eighty Eight at PluginBoutique
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It is iLok but I don't think a dongle is required.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➑️
I have lots of pianos.

This 11 gig vsti from sonivox, the "eighty eight", seems like an outright robbery at 18 bucks. I dunno if I can avoid it at that price.

I'll try it out and tell you what I think.

My concern is it's 16 layers vs 32 layers like White Grand so... it's been my experience if pianos that have fewer layers than you can't get the expression I'm looking for in solo piano works.

However it could be great in a band mix for rock, jazz ,etc.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have lots of pianos.

The actual piano sounds very good. I'm concerned about jumps in velocity, though. Difficult to tell from the audio clips.

Check this out:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA ➑️
However it could be great in a band mix for rock, jazz ,etc.
Yeah, that's what I thought. Another color for 18 bucks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Correction: it appears the iLok is only needed for the trial. Even better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bought. Downloading now. Will report back after this heat wave with my findings.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Should be interesting.
Old 5th August 2016
Deleted 9d8db46
Jeez, looking at a 3 hour download . . . I'm in the whangdoodles of Vermont. Could not pass this up, just for s**ts and giggles, at a mere 13 pounds Sterling. I too shall report. Hey Brock, heat wave? It's stupid hot here for so far North. You too?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 9d8db46 ➑️
Hey Brock, heat wave? It's stupid hot here for so far North. You too?
Over 2 weeks straight of 30+ celcius heat and humidity here in Ontario. My studio is in the attic.

I've been able to get more acquainted with my new/used Yamaha PF-500 here downstairs in the dining room. My first weighted keys 88... stay cool robert.
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
A few thoughts on the White Grand. You can compress it to ncw and load the whole thing into memory at 3 gigs. It has 16 velocity layers each for pedal up and pedal down and 4 for release samples. All the white keys are sampled, so 7 notes per octave. It can definitely cut through mixes especially on the upper end of the keyboard.

The TBO and 7CG are the ones with 31 velocity layers, up, down and release. They are also combined into the TVBO. I personally prefer these to the White series. They seem more consistently good sounding across all 88 keys to me and of course are a bit smoother on the velocity curve.

The White has about 1800 samples, the TBO 4500 and the 7CG 4000, at least the way I have them setup.

Per has some special magic going on and believe he has sampled for other companies as well. My fave is the Black Grand.
Old 6th August 2016
Deleted 9d8db46
Annghh . . . nothing to write home about.
I'm disappointed. Turns out, the 11 Gb of code isn't all sampling to get the best possible representation of an instrument, it's due to the 100 or so presets/variations on the base instrument. Pads, warped piano, soft/hard/EQ/etc. . . . . I loaded Pianoteq right after goofing around with the Sonivox, and preferred the Pianoteq. But hey, $18, and I might find a use for it someday . . . it's less than a large pizza and a beer . . .
Old 6th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haven't really searched for more pianos since I got Synthology Ivory II. I have a preset load of it (Steinway Studio) with Waves CLA Unplugged Piano Man preset and a Waves EQ4. I even have a tad of the synth layer from Ivory on (Solina). My goto preset for starting on any songwriting session.
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What's everyone's opinion on Addictive Keys Grand Piano?

I've been using it for the better part of almost two years and its served me quite good, but I'm always looking to expand the set.
Old 6th August 2016
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Most realistic sounding piano is not only about sound itself, but also about playability and reaction to keyboard mechanics. Of course you need pretty good midi controller or digital piano with best possible hammer action. From this point not all best sounding pianos are usefull in practical situations. For example Imperfect samples is horrible to play so the desired sound is very hard to obtain by additional programming etc. The best reaction and playability for me has Ivory American D, Vienna Symphonic Boesendorfer and Fluffy My Piano (best sounding upright by far).
Old 6th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert82 ➑️
Annghh . . . nothing to write home about.
I'm disappointed. Turns out, the 11 Gb of code isn't all sampling to get the best possible representation of an instrument, it's due to the 100 or so presets/variations on the base instrument. Pads, warped piano, soft/hard/EQ/etc. . . . . I loaded Pianoteq right after goofing around with the Sonivox, and preferred the Pianoteq. But hey, $18, and I might find a use for it someday . . . it's less than a large pizza and a beer . . .
Everything has some sort of use at some point in time. Some piano VSTi are better in a mix or for special FX (warped piano etc) sounds then they are for traditional sound like a piano solo stuff. Some of the most realistic sounding pianos are not always the best choice for a mix. And sometimes they are. It all depends.
You can't go wrong for $18.00.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdeity9194 ➑️

I've been using it for the better part of almost two years and its served me quite good, but I'm always looking to expand the set.
I thought it was pretty good. I personally preferred it to the Garritan Steinway Pro library I was using at the time. I've since changed to NI Grandeur and this has become my favourite piano vsti that I've used followed by Pianoteq 5 Pro.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk ➑️
I thought it was pretty good. I personally preferred it to the Garritan Steinway Pro library I was using at the time. I've since changed to NI Grandeur and this has become my favourite piano vsti that I've used followed by Pianoteq 5 Pro.
How would you describe the sound of the Grandeur? Is it wider and fuller than AK Grand Piano or?
Old 7th August 2016 | Show parent
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I thought. Another color for 18 bucks.
Sent ya a PM
Old 7th August 2016 | Show parent
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat1969 ➑️
A few thoughts on the White Grand. You can compress it to ncw and load the whole thing into memory at 3 gigs. It has 16 velocity layers each for pedal up and pedal down and 4 for release samples.

That's the White Grand MK II.

The original what grand has 32 velocity layers.

Here's a quote from their website.

Quote:
You get an astonishing 32 different velocity samples, not only layers, but 32 DIFFERENT samples per note, (plus 4 release samples).
This gives you a control over the dynamics that surpasses most of todays existing sampled pianos.
Here's a link

White Grand

This is the one I use

Here's a link to the post where I have a demo of White Grand uploaded

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11992139-post8.html
Old 8th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Go count them. 16 up and 16 down = 32.
Old 8th August 2016 | Show parent
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat1969 ➑️
Go count them. 16 up and 16 down = 32.
Just counted then and it seems there are 16 up and 16 down (hmmm)

On the website the White Grand MK II says

Quote:
16 velocity levels
More the 1900 samples
TimeVel Release Technology β„’
Sympathetic Resonance
Controllable volume for key/pedal noise
Controllable volume for Sympathetic Resonance and True Resonance
24 bit 44.1 stereo samples
White Grand MkII

The original White Grand says

Quote:
32 different velocity samples, not only layers, but 32 DIFFERENT samples per note, (plus 4 release samples).
This gives you a control over the dynamics that surpasses most of todays existing sampled pianos.
White Grand

So in the original write up I guess Per didn't explain it in detail.

I have all Sampletekk pianos and playing White next to TBO. Seems to me I get as much expression with The White as I do with TBO when playing.

Good sampling job Per! :D
Old 8th August 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Honestly I think 16 is enough for most things and for most of us and isn't noticeably different from 32. I read on Wiki that Tchaikovsky used 6p to 4f as his extremes and that is what 12 or 13 steps...
Shoot some of my little freebies have 3 or 4 layers and no one seems to complain.
Old 8th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdeity9194 ➑️

Good one for the price and size, and I think it is the cheapest one offering different mic possitions and type of mics. And quite ready for pop.

I wouldn't use it for classical.
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Has anybody tried the 8dio 1990 studio grand? I just picked up the 1901 upright in the sale, which I think is fab, but there seems to be almost no talk on the 1990. I've got The Hammersmith, IS Walnut and Rosewood Evolution, so I'm not short, but you know how it is.
Old 10th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by login ➑️
Good one for the price and size, and I think it is the cheapest one offering different mic possitions and type of mics. And quite ready for pop.

I wouldn't use it for classical.
The jazz preset is nice as well.
Old 21st August 2016
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've been looking for a modeled piano vst for a while now. Since I'm on the Mac, it's pretty much Pianoteq vs Truepiano. I played with both using MIDI file of Claire de Lune.
My thoughts:

PT is amazingly modeled--I feel like I'm inside the piano listening to it. That said, I really don't like some of the sounds it makes in regards to pedals and sympathetic resonance--deep boomy stuff that really shouldn't be there. It also continually spikes my CPU (i5 @ 2.6Ghz) when it reaches about 25 voices active and begins to crackle and dropout. Overall, the sound is a bit too sterile for my taste. It's too perfect, but maybe I just need to change the condition settings. Overall, it works best for pre-1900 classical stuff for me.

TP also sounds amazing to me, but in a different way. While there is not as much depth and detail to the sound as PT, it has this incredible living, breathing kind of sound to me, like you get from a real piano that you just adore, even though they are not modeled after any specific piano. CPU-wise, TP used about one-half to one-third the power of PT with no spiking and the attendant crackling and dropouts. I wish the demo included all of the different piano models instead of just the Atlantis. While not as good for classical pieces as PT, I think it works better as an all-round kind of piano covering all styles of music.

When I get around to buying, it will probably be Truepiano because of the CPU usage and my preserve for the overall sound quality.

Are there any modeled pianos for Mac that I missing? I prefer modeled because smaller vst, fewer resources and more expressive/more timbres than multi-GB sample libraries.
πŸ“ Reply