Quantcast
Does the Quality of a plug matter when..... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does the Quality of a plug matter when.....
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Does the Quality of a plug matter when.....

Ok so I notice since I use a crap load of plus like Waves CLA comp or studio classics I get a turd load of hissing. So i click of the analog button and its gone. But would that affect the tone quality of the plug or is it only just hiss. Also I can't control the hiss on my VCC, I click the mute hiss but it won't stop......
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Anyone???
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If it sounds good after you turn off the hiss. Keep it off. Don't worry too much how it effects the tone. If you're happy with the end results then ultimately thats what you stick with.

If your VCC is making unnecessary noise thats annoying you, then I'm sure there's some sort of other issue going on. I don't have that plug-in so I can't give you too much feedback on that.

Josh
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does the tone change when you turn off the analog switch?
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamContra ➑️
Ok so I notice since I use a crap load of plus like Waves CLA comp or studio classics I get a turd load of hissing. So i click of the analog button and its gone. But would that affect the tone quality of the plug or is it only just hiss. Also I can't control the hiss on my VCC, I click the mute hiss but it won't stop......
On the waves stuff - yes its just hiss. I generally keep if off.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
On the Waves stuff - yes its just hiss. I generally keep if off.
I've done direct comparisons for my own benefit on this matter. For the longest time I thought these "analog" buttons were simply generating hiss, but if you do an entire mix using something like the VEQ4 (with correct gain staging) you'll find that while analog mode is engaged there is more color along with hiss. I've noticed similar behavior with the CLA series as well. Now I just gain stage properly and leave the analog buttons on.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sometimes the 'analog' button will add more than just hiss...ie...more harmonics...
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
Okay - I'll qualify. It's mostly just hiss. . The C.L.A. compressors are, in particular, way too noisy (far noisier than my real ones). The VEQ4 annoyed me so much I bought a UAD card!!
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So in a nut shell it's more bad then good...
Old 30th January 2013

🎧 10 years
for me, yes.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hiss was okay back when we didn't compress the **** out of everything. It kinda stayed in the background then. Today it can turn into a big problem quickly. Therefore: unneccesary hiss from plugins sucks. It's not usually even nice hiss like you get with analog gear sometimes. It just sucks. It shouldn't be there unless I'm asking for it by flicking a switch or - better - adjusting a fader.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The amount of hiss on VCC is the only thing I dislike about it. You can't lower it but you can switch it to auto, which means it's only there when a signal passes through the plug in, but it's still too much IMO if used across a full mix.

So what I do is use less instances of VCC and use Satson on some channels instead. If you lower the input to Satson and then drive the plug in it's rather good and works well with VCC over a mix and is less noisy, which I prefer. Just my opinion.

Back in the day noise was the enemy but for some strange reason it seems to have become in vogue.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man ➑️
The amount of hiss on VCC is the only thing I dislike about it. You can't lower it but you can switch it to auto, which means it's only there when a signal passes through the plug in, but it's still too much IMO if used across a full mix.

So what I do is use less instances of VCC and use Satson on some channels instead. If you lower the input to Satson and then drive the plug in it's rather good and works well with VCC over a mix and is less noisy, which I prefer. Just my opinion.

Back in the day noise was the enemy but for some strange reason it seems to have become in vogue.
This Satson you speak off, please in lighten me.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Analog option on Waves plug in's doesn't add up any harmonics. It's just plain and simple noise/hiss.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI ➑️
Analog option on Waves plug in's doesn't add up any harmonics. It's just plain and simple noise/hiss.
on some it does...
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hiss...you kids don't know from f'n hiss...

And no, the Waves stuff is not just hiss, but you're asking a question you should be able to answer for yourself. Why do you care that I tell you it affects the tone. If you can't hear it...hiss will be the least of your mix's problem. The 1084 is only terrible when you add highs.

Mostly...doesn't matter. In pop/rock? Cut to digital with every track daw trimmed/gated? Heck, it could USE some damn hiss. I don't remember anything cut to digital EVER on any system where I thought "man is that noisy". Forest....this is just a tree.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➑️
on some it does...
Proof?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI ➑️
Proof?
do you know how to use Span...?
i made a post about it here somewhere with some screenshots of some tests i did...i'll try and dig it up...

edit: found it... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8153651-post12.html
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool, haven't noticed such behaviour on other Waves' plug -in's. Are there more of them?
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The funny thing is, my analog UA 1176 doesn't hiss even close to as much as the waves digital ones!

Neither does my analog Calrec console.

Hiss is not something digital companies should be putting into plugins - unless it's one called 'hiss'

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios ➑️
The funny thing is, my analog UA 1176 doesn't hiss even close to as much as the waves digital ones!

Neither does my analog Calrec console.

Hiss is not something digital companies should be putting into plugins - unless it's one called 'hiss'
Yup!! Thats the (minor) issue
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristoreie ➑️
So in a nut shell it's more bad then good
No, I think what they're saying is that the ratio of bad to good is > 1.0
Old 31st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Last year when I purchased the CLA compressors, I noticed this exact same thing with the Analog button engaged. Result, I just turn it off, unless there are some specific tracks that I want a bit of this "hiss" in it. I think an earlier poster was correct in that you won't really notice it if you use it on a few things, but since we tend to squeeze the crap out of signals, it has a more noticeable and cumulative effect.

btw, never really noticed any difference in signal handling with the analog button engaged/disengaged.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man ➑️

I tend to use VCC after the compressor, also use it a little more sparingly then I used to.. What's the point in an immaculate noise floor, when even a limiter with a few Db on it cranks the noise floor to -44+ db?

All this THD / Noise etc. from manufacturers specs mean nothing after this.. Yes it does give a certain mojo.. But It has to be used right.

To the OP, just turn the hiss off, your not really changing anything else.. Then use something like VCC.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I just hate when presets default with hiss on. Sometimes I'm not thinking about hiss I never asked for and will forget to look over in the corner to turn it off.

And I'm not sure in what instance the hiss needs to be as loud as some of these plugins allow you to make it.

But there have been times when I like a little hiss. When using preprocessed drum samples such as those from Goldbaby, you may need a little hiss on other pristine sources to get them to gel.
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I know how to use these measurement tools. They're vintage and mounted to my head...so, it's a good thing they works so well. I take care off them...always have...worth the investment.
Old 31st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
I know how to use these measurement tools. They're vintage and mounted to my head...so, it's a good thing they works so well. I take care off them...always have...worth the investment.

I found with the 2a-3a from waves CLA comp some where around 34db it had some crack pooping sound
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This Satson you speak off, please in lighten me.
Sonimus Satson

For about $39 it's a no brainer and the filters are particularly nice.

The only other plug ins I have that have a noise option are UAD Struder tape emu and UAD EMT 250 re-verb, both of which I keep the noise option switched off.
πŸ“ Reply