Quantcast
Interface Converters Quality - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interface Converters Quality
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Interface Converters Quality

I am curios to know how good are the Presonus Firepods analog to digital converters. I figure that this is probably the weakest link in my chain and am considering an upgrade
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
hello...little help here
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
upgrade.
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Upgrade other stuff before your convertors. How is your acoustic space, monitors, mics, preamps, etc? Money much better spent elsewhere.
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
And once you have upgraded everything, you can come to the crashing and terrifying realisation that, just like almost everyone else on here and in the world, the weakest link in the chain was actually you all along and you've blown a shedload of cash you didn't really need to spend.

(Well, unless your current gear is so unspeakably hideous that it doesn't actually work at all.)
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
if Im using a focusrite liquid channel, yamaha hs 80 monitors, rode nt1a mod, macbook pro 8 core i7 with 16 gigs of ram and my accoustic space fine. My project studio makes me and clients happy with the final project but I do feel that this piece of gear is the weakest link in my chain. I don't know much about its converters and haven't found much on them online.
Attached Thumbnails
Interface Converters Quality-2013-03-12_21-24-52_599.jpg   Interface Converters Quality-2013-03-12_21-25-42_895.jpg   Interface Converters Quality-2013-03-12_21-26-36_566.jpg  
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OK, I don't claim to be any expert and what I'm about to say is worth exactly what you're paying for it, but...

If that's your gear list, I'd worry about extending my mic locker (with more and/or better mics), possibly upgrading monitors and revisiting the acoustic treatment before I worried about the quality of your converters. If you are working on a commercial basis and have paying clients, I'd say that looking at the mic situation should come first. The NT1A is all fine and dandy (moreso if it's nicely modded) but you can probably get far more bang for your buck by replacing that (or adding to it) than you could by changing interface/converters. Same applies to monitoring and acoustic treatment - the HS80's are all well and good, but there are much better things out there if you're looking to spend some money. Similarly, it looks like there's a shedload of foam in your room (some of which I'd be prepared to bet you don't really need) and I wouldn't be surprised if someone with the right know-how could make your space sound better.

Of course, someone might now come along and say that they know the Firepod converters very well and that they're the veritable wind from the Devil's bottom and should be replaced forthwith, but that's about the only thing that would persuade me to look at the converters first if I was in your position. At the very least, wait until you KNOW that it's the converters that are the problem - either by virtue of having improved the other things first or by extending your own experience so that you can make that kind of call yourself and know (near as anyone can) that it's the right one, rather than just relying on what the Internet says.

Sorry, I'm sounding like a dreadful old curmudgeon here, but I am getting old and I've seen too many people suffer too much stress and waste too much time and money trying to fix the wrong things - both in terms of audio gear and other aspects of their lives.
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thats good feedback and advice. I agree my setup is not perfect and I can most definitely always add more mics/foam/flux capacitors to my collection but, my clients (and myself) cannot tell the difference between the nt1 mod and an original u87. I'm not making music for engineers here. (Although some people still think I do) Still, that's my go to mic for most everything although I do have a nice collection of other mics I swap and match. With my speakers, I'd much rather know the monitors I've had for years then spend a "shed" of cash on some that I'm going have to learn the sound of all over...(which could take years to get used to) As for my studio foam, It's made my mixes sound amazing and I don't believe its too much because it hasn't killed the high end of the room but still enough to make it semi dead, not completely.

On the other hand I am looking for someone to tell me that the firepods converters are veritable wind or not, that's the opinion I wanted to know in the first place when I started this thread. I have used almost all my gear in other environments and experiencing this, it is not my belief that it is my converter which has been the weak link. Ex. When I track in a professional environment with the same gear same settings with different converters, when printed into the box and listening back at my studio, I find that sound more favorable. Then again, if we could figure all of this out on our own, why would we even need this silly website for in the first place? I'd like to think that I don't rely on the internet for my opinions but, I'd like to think of gearslutz as rather a place to go to get feedback like yours as well as others experience/opinions
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OK - here's an alternative thought. If you're not currently using the SPDIF I/O on your Firepod, buy (or borrow) a high-quality stereo ADC/DAC to connect to your existing interface via SPDIF. Work with that for a while as your main channel(s), while keeping the remaining Preonus channels for utility duties. If you then find that things are a lot better through the higher-quality ADC/DAC look to replace the Firepod with something a little better later - while keeping the higher quality ADC/DAC for your main channels.

Just a thought...
Old 6th April 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
In my experience this is the priority order you should go by
Room
Microphone
Pre amp
Converter
Old 6th April 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargodmiles ➑️
On the other hand I am looking for someone to tell me that the firepods converters are veritable wind or not, that's the opinion I wanted to know in the first place when I started this thread. I have used almost all my gear in other environments and experiencing this, it is not my belief that it is my converter which has been the weak link. Ex. When I track in a professional environment with the same gear same settings with different converters, when printed into the box and listening back at my studio, I find that sound more favorable.
I don't have a direct experience with Firepod, but I used to have Audiobox USB, and have owned (and sold) various interfaces between $100-$500 range. The weakest point of these interfaces are mic preamp, not converter, in my opinion.

When you tested your gear at other facilities, did you really used the same preamp (meaning you need to bypass the preamp of Firepod), and tested specifically the converter of Firepod? Or, did you use preamps of the Firepod, in which case the difference may be due to the preamp?
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️
I don't have a direct experience with Firepod, but I used to have Audiobox USB, and have owned (and sold) various interfaces between $100-$500 range. The weakest point of these interfaces are mic preamp, not converter, in my opinion.

When you tested your gear at other facilities, did you really used the same preamp (meaning you need to bypass the preamp of Firepod), and tested specifically the converter of Firepod? Or, did you use preamps of the Firepod, in which case the difference may be due to the preamp?
I agree with this. When I moved from a Firebox to a Duet 2 I noticed a difference in the quality and imaging of the monitor outputs, more stability and less digital noise. I don't think there is a large difference in recorded tracks because of the converters though, much more likely because of the preamps and noise characteristics.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️

I brought my liquid channel into a commercial studio to track and to do a side by side test of their neve board and original compressors collection they had. I brought my microphone and the results were much more favorable going into their converters vs mine. It wasn't day and night of a difference but in my experience is, what sets apart pro sounding music from the rest is all of the subtle little differences added together.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I brought my liquid channel into a commercial studio to track and to do a side by side test of their neve board and original compressors collection they had. I brought my microphone and the results were much more favorable going into their converters vs mine. It wasn't day and night of a difference but in my experience is, what sets apart pro sounding music from the rest is all of the subtle little differences added together.
There seems to be so many variables there other than converters. It would have been easier to see the difference in converters if you'd taken yours and recorded into them at the same time as theirs.
Old 7th April 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I brought my liquid channel into a commercial studio to track and to do a side by side test of their neve board and original compressors collection they had. I brought my microphone and the results were much more favorable going into their converters vs mine.
I'd be almost certain the difference in sound quality was due primarily to the different room, not the converters. Seek out some converter shootouts -- on this site and others -- and you'll quickly find that they make FAR less of a sonic difference than a lot of folks would have you believe. All the hot-headed raving about "night and day" differences between this and that converter completely disappears in blind tests.
πŸ“ Reply