Quantcast
Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter?
Old 1st June 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I need something to get the signal from my Presonus Digimax 96k into my computer. Will the USBStreamer do this? Please say yes. Here's a pic of the back-

ps 96k is the model, it does lower conversions if what I read about the limits still apply. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus ➡️
I need something to get the signal from my Presonus Digimax 96k into my computer. Will the USBStreamer do this? Please say yes. Here's a pic of the back-

ps 96k is the model, it does lower conversions if what I read about the limits still apply. Thanks.
Yes it will, but only at 44.1 or 48k
Old 1st June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➡️
Yes it will, but only at 44.1 or 48k
Thanks!
Old 16th June 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Got the USBStreamer box a couple of weeks ago. Like others have said: works great! (btw, on OS X; haven't used it on a PC). First time I tried it, it seemed to have some buffering problem, but clocking it from ADAT fixed that up and it's been pretty much set and forget.

I put a request in at the miniDSP forum for SMUX implentation. If you're interested in that, it might be motivating for miniDSP if you chime in to that forum post here and let them know.
Old 23rd July 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all, I stumbled on the website for the USBStreamer last night and ordered one right away. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm curious though, has anyone tried to use this with something like a tablet? I'm needing this only for playback and this will already allow me to use a laptop but if I can go even smaller and use it with a tablet, that would just be awesome!

Thanks!
David
Old 23rd July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldeberan ➡️
Hi all, I stumbled on the website for the USBStreamer last night and ordered one right away. It's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm curious though, has anyone tried to use this with something like a tablet? I'm needing this only for playback and this will already allow me to use a laptop but if I can go even smaller and use it with a tablet, that would just be awesome!

Thanks!
David
Works on iOS devices. It's a CoreAudio device, so just plug it in.
Old 28th August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Are there any test on external syncing under ios..

8 ch adat out from ios devices as slave..

Clocked via its adat in from an external adat device ie..

Would be nice..

Cheers
Old 29th August 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman ➡️
Yes you can indeed add more than one unit in your system. It's automatically creating new "devices". Note that you then need your software to allow for selecting multiple sources. (i..e it's not creating an "aggregate" 16ch or 24ch device).
Sorry for replying to an old(er) thread, but I was excited to find this. I just ordered one. However, I was curious about the above... Couldn't you use the Audio/Midi Tools on the Mac to create an aggregate device of the multiple USB Streamers to present one unified set of channels to your DAW? Just curious, and I have no idea what Windows offers in this area.
Old 2nd September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can they possibly implement SMUX? Can usb pass 4 channels of 24 bit 96khz?
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I finally got around to getting one of these last month and I happy to report it works flawlessly with Win7. ASIO seems rock solid clocked to my digital mixer (an old Mackie d8b w/ Apogee card)...no issues at all. Best $140 I ever spent. At some point I might try out it with my ipad, first I'm going to see if I can use some of the channels to incorporate the mixer's effects with my DAW.

I know the d8b gets a lot of hate on Gearslutz but for the 2 years I've had it, it's worked great. Only one owner, apparently it was one of the last ones sold before Mackie discontinued them (judging by the purchase date). The original owner treated it with kid gloves and splurged on every plugin and expansion card. Well worth the $500 I paid for it. This coolest thing for me is that even without it being in HUI emulation mode, the transport, jog wheel, time display, and locators still work, so it's my go to for basic DAW control. The USBStreamer and it make a good team.
Old 25th November 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Minidsp usbstreamer b

There seems to be one product out there that does the job...

USBStreamer B | MiniDSP

Configureable via firmware for either toslink or adat io... Including its dedicated asio drivers and buspowered... No dsp or routing, just straight ins and outs... Perfect.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
just got a usbstreamer b.
purchased with the intent of using iPad with modular.

first of all, it does NOT work with an iPad as it draws too much power. it should work when powered from a USB hub tho, according to a dev in the minidsp forum.

next, I've hooked it up to my Mac and a ES3, and it doesn't seem to produce any output. My best guess is that it came with the spdif firmware installed.
so... apparently you need a windows PC to flash a different firmware. also, since i bought it from a webshop in Germany, I can't access the driver/firmware downloads on the minidsp website.

it's not a plug'n'play day for me.
Old 11th February 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
does the USBStreamer B work as system output from mavericks?
Old 30th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Can I use two usb to adat boxes (usbstreamer)? (windows)
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I want to connect my Akai MPC5000 ADAT output to my macbook pro. I have 2 usb ports.
I am also going to be connecting a Yamaha Motif XF7 via firewire to the macbook pro.
I am not sure about digital clocking etc.
But the Motif XF7 can output 16 channels of audio and receive 6 channels and MIDI over a firewire cable.
Will I be able to have the Motif XF7 audio coming into Digital Performer as well as the Akai MPC5000 8 channels via the ADAT output into the MiniDSP.
So I am able to mix the Motif XF and Akai MPC5000 'in the box' of the Digital Performer DAW.
Would be a pretty portable composition setup.
Thanks for any assistance,
Roman.
Old 20th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman ➡️
I want to connect my Akai MPC5000 ADAT output to my macbook pro. I have 2 usb ports.
I am also going to be connecting a Yamaha Motif XF7 via firewire to the macbook pro.
I am not sure about digital clocking etc.
But the Motif XF7 can output 16 channels of audio and receive 6 channels and MIDI over a firewire cable.
Will I be able to have the Motif XF7 audio coming into Digital Performer as well as the Akai MPC5000 8 channels via the ADAT output into the MiniDSP.
So I am able to mix the Motif XF and Akai MPC5000 'in the box' of the Digital Performer DAW.
Would be a pretty portable composition setup.
Thanks for any assistance,
Roman.
Probably possible. DP seeing the two devices will be fine - just select both in the HW setup and multiply your host buffer.

I think you would have to set the Motif as the master device, and clock the Akai to it with SPDIF (out from Motif, in to Akai), which should be simple enough. I wouldn't count on them to lock up through a combination of FW and USB. You should be able to then lock the DAW to the Motif through FW.
Old 20th October 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Yes they can be used as input and output for your computer and you can also have two of these boxes attached to your system at the same time to provide 16 channels of adat in/out @ 48k . They provide you with the firmware to flash each unit individually so your computer will see two different boxes - usbstreamer a, usbstreamer b. In spdif mode you will have 2 channels of optical in/out from 44.1k to 192k. If you are diy savvy, you could purchase a usbstreamer without the inclosure and have access to not only the optical in/out, but also 8 channels of i2s in/out for a total of 10 in and 10 outs!
Old 11th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just wanted to add my positive report on the USB Streamer B. It worked perfectly right out of the box, on a Mac 10.8 system.

In the "Audio MIDI Setup" application, you can select whether to have it clock off its internal clock, or to take the clock from the ADAT optical signal. There is also 44.1/48k selection (if internal clock is selected). It also looked like there was an option to switch to 4 channels of higher sample rates, but I didn't test the S/MUX functionality.

USB cables and short optical cables were included in the package with the USB Streamer B. Nice touch.

And, even though it shipped from Hong Kong, I ordered last Wednesday, and the package arrived today (on Monday). Quick!

It's a great deal, I gotta say.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...sbstreamer-box
Old 12th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh ➡️
Just wanted to add my positive report on the USB Streamer B. It worked perfectly right out of the box, on a Mac 10.8 system.

In the "Audio MIDI Setup" application, you can select whether to have it clock off its internal clock, or to take the clock from the ADAT optical signal. There is also 44.1/48k selection (if internal clock is selected). It also looked like there was an option to switch to 4 channels of higher sample rates, but I didn't test the S/MUX functionality.

USB cables and short optical cables were included in the package with the USB Streamer B. Nice touch.

And, even though it shipped from Hong Kong, I ordered last Wednesday, and the package arrived today (on Monday). Quick!

It's a great deal, I gotta say.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb...sbstreamer-box
Great testimonial. What do you have hooked up to it? I still havent gotten one yet but still need it for my digimax 96k...
Old 12th January 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughtrhaus ➡️
Great testimonial. What do you have hooked up to it? I still havent gotten one yet but still need it for my digimax 96k...
Thanks! So far I have just tested the USB Streamer with the Lynx Aurora that I use in the studio. But the intended use for the Streamer is to dust off and rehab an old Lucid 8824, for a secondary setup.
Old 15th January 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry, stupid question. This would work with a behringer ada8000 right? What kind of latency should I expect with osx?
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroarer ➡️
Sorry, stupid question. This would work with a behringer ada8000 right? What kind of latency should I expect with osx?
Yes, and latency will depend on your machine and DAW configuration.
Old 15th January 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I was hoping to use ableton live and reaper with a 2015 macbook pro... it seemed to handle a buffer of 32 at 44.1k alright on this ancient usb 1 interface okay. Sorry to ask, but what do you think the latency might be like? Not even ballpark figures. Good or okay? Or should I just go for a more traditional interface and flip the ada8000?

Sorry to be a pain, Travisbrown.
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroarer ➡️
I was hoping to use ableton live and reaper with a 2015 macbook pro... Sorry to ask, but what do you think the latency might be like? Not even ballpark figures. Good or okay? Or should I just go for a more traditional interface and flip the ada8000?

Sorry to be a pain, Travisbrown.
Well, it *really* depends on your configuration, as with any interface - the difference between great and unusable depends on your machine speed, RAM allocation, buffer settings, phase of the moon....

However, latency was minimal and usable on a 2.4GHZ 2010 MBP with 4GB ram with Digital Performer. Low enough that I didn't bother measuring.

I haven't measured latency with an iPad Air and Auria since I've not used for overdubs, just tracking.

You won't get any appreciable latency between the ADA800 and USB Streamer. We are not talking about conversion latency. You are only concerned about DAW and machine latency.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, it *really* depends on your configuration, as with any interface - the difference between great and unusable depends on your machine speed, RAM allocation, buffer settings, phase of the moon....

However, latency was minimal and usable on a 2.4GHZ 2010 MBP with 4GB ram with Digital Performer. Low enough that I didn't bother measuring.

I haven't measured latency with an iPad Air and Auria since I've not used for overdubs, just tracking.

You won't get any appreciable latency between the ADA800 and USB Streamer. We are not talking about conversion latency. You are only concerned about DAW and machine latency.
Yeah, just real world playing latency. Thank you for bearing with me. I think I will give it a try!
Old 16th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For those looking for a 24 channel or more adat to usb device:

EXBOX.UMA

The exbox uma has usb madi and adat.

D.O.TEC® EXBOX.UMA is a 32 channel USB audio device with four ADAT ports and an optical MADI port.

A robust and handy unit, the EXBOX.UMA is a perfect companion for both studio operation and mobile recording applications.

D.O.TEC® EXBOX.UMA enables a straight-forward connection between ADAT, MADI and your favourite recording software.

Drivers
EXBOX.UMA comes with ASIO and WDM drivers for Windows® and supports Core Audio under OS X®.

Mixing
An integrated mixer with eight stereo busses offers the possibilty to create latency-free monitor mixes from all input sources (128 physical inputs). Each mixing bus may be routed to a physical output and can be used as input source for another mixing bus.

Routing Matrix
All physical inputs/outputs (ADAT, MADI, USB) and mixing busses are organized by an integrated 144 x 128 routing matrix. The USB line transmits up to 32 audio channels in both directions for simulteanous recording and playback with/from your recording system.
Old 14th February 2016
Deleted bfbfe85
Does anyone know if this will work with Mac Pro 10.6.8?
Old 14th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bfbfe85 ➡️
Does anyone know if this will work with Mac Pro 10.6.8?
If what will? The USB Streamer?

It's coreaudio compliant, so yes.
Old 15th February 2016 | Show parent
Deleted bfbfe85
Quote:
If what will? The USB Streamer?

It's coreaudio compliant, so yes.
The manual claims I need core duo processor, but I have dual core. Will this be okay?
Old 15th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bfbfe85 ➡️
The manual claims I need core duo processor, but I have dual core. Will this be okay?
Core Duo is an Intel brand name for a dual core (I believe).

In any case should be fine.
📝 Reply