Quantcast
Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter?
Old 4th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
MOTU 424 + 2408 or Marian Seraph ADAT card are other PCIe solutions for ADAT I/O .

There's also Focusrite's Rednet, but that's overkill and over-budget for a small studio.
Old 7th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
the world is moving away from Pcie its only mater of time when you not be able to get mac with card slots (expansion box may happen more) I love for something like Lucid 88192 with added usb/fire/thunder or Apogee symphony 8x8 (ok it use snakes) but @ Β£2k its going to take few years for me to save up

I want less just in's and out's (hopefully at price that not pro only)

give me box with true 8 in 8 out that I can plug a slumming or small mixer into and give 5.1 or more out without braking the bank !!!!
Old 29th November 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Not sure if I should mention it since I do have some links with that company, but since you asked, I thought I'd just chime in..
There is indeed a small box called a USBStreamer (USBStreamer B | MiniDSP). It does what you're looking for: USB asio on one side (Mac/Win drivers) and ADAT multichannel @ 48kHz (Input + output) for up to 8ch on the other side. Think of it as an USB to ADAT converter...

Tony
Old 29th November 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman ➑️
Not sure if I should mention it since I do have some links with that company, but since you asked, I thought I'd just chime in..
There is indeed a small box called a USBStreamer (USBStreamer B | MiniDSP). It does what you're looking for: USB asio on one side (Mac/Win drivers) and ADAT multichannel @ 48kHz (Input + output) for up to 8ch on the other side. Think of it as an USB to ADAT converter...

Tony
Oh, where have you been all my life?

Now, can you make it CoreAudio so it will also work with iOS?
Old 4th December 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh, where have you been all my life?
heheh... good question.. :-)

I'm however afraid that this is not iOS compliant.. It would require the whole MFI process which is a bit more work and also requires an identification IC for licensing (i.e. hardware change).
A good idea though.. :-)
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
heheh... good question.. :-)

I'm however afraid that this is not iOS compliant.. It would require the whole MFI process which is a bit more work and also requires an identification IC for licensing (i.e. hardware change).
A good idea though.. :-)
Hmm. Shouldn't require MFI, should it? All it would have to be is use the CoreAudio driver. Then you can connect USB to a iOS camera connection kit.

Take a look here and see all the devices that are not MFI.

http://auriaapp.com/Support/auria-audio-interfaces

You can add the Mackie BlackJack to that list too. Seems almost any CoreAudio compliant USB device will work with iOS.
Old 5th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Tony
HOLY SH*T!!!

Been looking for something like this for a while.

Over the past couple of years I've invested back into hardware (mostly older synths, samplers, drum machines, etc).

I found myself with an extra 25+ channels, so I bought an digital mixer.

Then moved from a desktop to a PC laptop as my main DAW computer, so only USB for me (no TI firewire on board and a UAD2 sitting in my card slot).

I couldn't justify spending another $500 (and up) just for the convenience of not doing multiple passes since I don't record full bands, but this fits the bill.

If the ASIO drivers are stable and there's no clocking issues, this product could be a huge hit. There are numerous ADAT equipped devices (mixers, preamps, etc) floating around for cheap.

At some point I hope these boxes could be stacked for 16+ channels or SMUX. I have 3 ADAT cards in my mixer.
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lydpik ➑️
EDIT: could also be ADAT to FireWire (sorry!)

Hi

Does anyone make an ADAT to Firewire or USB converter I/O?

I need to connect my RME ADI-8 interface to Pro Tools 9 native on a new iMac

I don't need an interface with converters, micpres etc.. Just a simple ADAT to USB converter I/O.

Thanks!

- Peter
ITS CALLED AN AUDIO INTERFACE! Look for one with an ADAT input.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreChris ➑️
ITS CALLED AN AUDIO INTERFACE! Look for one with an ADAT input.
Reading is fundamental. He specifically asked a adat-only interface without all the extras that would jack up the price: analog I/O, mic pres, MIDI, etc. At $115 the usbstreamer seems to be a dream come true. So who's going grab one and be the first gunea pig?

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 7th December 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCho ➑️
I'm using a Presonus firestudio lightpipe and it's rock solid. Although It's discontinued they still update the drivers when needed. Atleast so far...
PreSonus | FireStudio Lightpipe
Old 9th January 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Got mine an hour ago. I just hot-plugged it in on my Macbook within a running Cubase project, attached a Creamware A16 Ultra and got 8 Ins and 8 Outs as promised. I will test the unit on Sunday refearsals as a multichannel Macbook unit for a live show.

Update: just check it while listening and had it running for 8 hours yesterday.

It works.

Last edited by Huptus; 10th January 2014 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Unit check.
Old 6th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huptus ➑️
Got mine an hour ago.
"Mine" is the USBStreamer B ?
Old 7th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
more info boys please !!!!!!!!! how is things going !!!
Old 9th February 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sorry, forgot to mention...

I purchased my USB Streamer B. It was delivered to Germany within 5 days from HongKong without any problems. I had to pay 20 € customs fee.

Technically this is a black box, one side USB, other side ADAT In and Out. No power supply, USB cable included.

I use it on a MacBook Pro, no need for any driver installation, pure Plug&Play. Windows may need a driver.

I used it during 1 week of rehearsals, where my musicians never booted the Mac. No go for a lot of interfaces like my Mbox.

A week ago we had our CD presentation and i used it. It had to deliver 8 channels of music.

You asked me to tell you more.

There is nothing more.

Refused to give it back award.
Old 10th February 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I am very temp I like the idea of something that just works

I have new mac mini that 10x faster small and almost silent

but i am have hanging on to my old G5 far to long because its has pci card with adat to plug in older converters that are still the bizz and give me 8 channels each way !!

I have thought about presonus fire studio light pipe but there no longer in production and they have **** reviews over drivers and At Β£500 I mites well buy new interface !

And the lovely a thunderbolt to PCIe box BUT forget it for Β£300 + get to the point mite as well buy new interface !!!!!!
Old 18th February 2014 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Got my USBStreamer B today.

Shipped from Kowloon, Hong Kong. Includes one USB 2 cable (with an EMI/RFI choke on the computer end of the cable), two optical cables and two 1/8" adapters for hybrid analog/digital computer audio out. No printed documentation. The default firmware is ADAT. Can be internally clocked or externally clocked through the ADAT in.

Plugged the USB in MacBook Pro Retina with OS 10.9.2 (13C62), no driver install needed.

Plug & Play, works as expected.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
YES!!! Dreams come true! USBStreamer B - is what I dreamed for. No power needs, no driver for Mac. Now can create super lovely audio path: Any Pres -> RME 8ch In/ 8ch Out ADI8 Convertor -> USBStreamer B - iMac. I don't record groups, just need to simultaneously record a single sources. Any tests are welcome.
Old 9th April 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown ➑️
Hmm. Shouldn't require MFI, should it? All it would have to be is use the CoreAudio driver. Then you can connect USB to a iOS camera connection kit.

Take a look here and see all the devices that are not MFI.

Auria by WaveMachine Labs - Auria Audio Interfaces

You can add the Mackie BlackJack to that list too. Seems almost any CoreAudio compliant USB device will work with iOS.
Good point Travis. We could have a quick test at this. We have a camera kit here used for our UMIK-1. Will report when we get some chance. Thanks for the tip. :-)

@ coolout, glad to hear you like it. :-)
Quote:
At some point I hope these boxes could be stacked for 16+ channels or SMUX. I have 3 ADAT cards in my mixer.
Yes you can indeed add more than one unit in your system. It's automatically creating new "devices". Note that you then need your software to allow for selecting multiple sources. (i..e it's not creating an "aggregate" 16ch or 24ch device).

@ Kewl and huptus, neat to see the box is a live application. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
That USBStreamer B looks very interesting! Am also interested to learn whether it works under iOS with the cck (I'd guess it may need to be connected via a powered USB2 hub).

For the record, another USB-ADAT converter box I've found: EXBOX.UMA
Old 22nd April 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard ➑️
That USBStreamer B looks very interesting! Am also interested to learn whether it works under iOS with the cck (I'd guess it may need to be connected via a powered USB2 hub).

For the record, another USB-ADAT converter box I've found: EXBOX.UMA
I just ordered a USBStreamer B. Will report back.

Would be nice if it did 96k S/MUX through ADAT too. I have a 4 channel Swissonic AD96 and a DA96 that would be a great front end for a super portable iOS four track recorder.
Old 20th May 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting things about USBStreamer...can anyone report real-life latency of this device?
Old 20th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor ➑️
Interesting things about USBStreamer...can anyone report real-life latency of this device?
In Audacity using a optical loopback test with zero software compensation at 44.1 it is .072 or ~3187 samples. With latency compensation it was about 15 samples and didn't measure ms.
Old 21st May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So many of us have posted about this for years now! It's nice to finally have a product fill this niche. But I have a few questions before I whip out the plastic:

1. Apparently, it's firmware upgradeable and comes with the ADAT firmware pre-installed. How easy is it to manage firmware changes?
2. Does it not do SMUX at all?
3. Does it do ADAT @ 44.1kHz? The website only says 48kHz and only the previous post mentioned 44.1.
4. There's another box similar in design called the USBStreamer, which is somewhat more open ended and includes I2S interfacing; does this box provide identical performance and does it use the same firmware as the USBStreamer B?
5. Has anyone taken a close look at the jitter figures? That would be the most important spec for an interface like this. It's an even greater concern if running two or more units in parallel.
Old 21st May 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Looks like it uses a xmos chip and not just a standard clock/crystal. I'll leave it to others to comment further

Old 23rd May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Would be nice if it did 96k S/MUX through ADAT too. I have a 4 channel Swissonic AD96 and a DA96 that would be a great front end for a super portable iOS four track recorder.
I asked my questions on the MiniDSP Forum and regarding this issue they answered:
Quote:
Right now, no support for 96k I'm afraid. Firmware upgrade could be done indeed but right now not on our product dev roadmap (i.e. we compile multiple requests before going ahead with product dev typically).
Note that some time ago they gave a similar answer when queried about external clocking...and that got implemented a few months ago. If enough of us ask for this, they may make it a priority. I think I'll start a thread there for this feature request because it definitely would add significant value to the product. It certainly would be useful to me too...
Old 24th May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm really concerned about the jitter issue with this unit. I discussed this with JensH who made a upgrade board on diyAudio for multi-channel SPDIF operation (not ADAT), and in his opinion the clock is worse when externally clocked because of the design.

I'd like to ask the people in this thread who are using one if they've had any clocking problems, dropouts, clicks or other clock issues connecting the USBStreamer to their other gear.

I think that technically if the gear you're connecting to is good enough, barring any serious connectivity problems the better gear should correct the ADAT clocking adequately. RME gear is typically good at this.

TIA!
Old 24th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone ➑️
I'm really concerned about the jitter issue with this unit. I discussed this with JensH who made a upgrade board on diyAudio for multi-channel SPDIF operation (not ADAT), and in his opinion the clock is worse when externally clocked because of the design.

I'd like to ask the people in this thread who are using one if they've had any clocking problems, dropouts, clicks or other clock issues connecting the USBStreamer to their other gear.

I think that technically if the gear you're connecting to is good enough, barring any serious connectivity problems the better gear should correct the ADAT clocking adequately. RME gear is typically good at this.

TIA!
What makes you concerned about the jitter? And if so concerned, buy one and try it. It's $100.
Old 24th May 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
What makes you concerned about the jitter? And if so concerned, buy one and try it. It's $100.
When I first upgraded my converters from pro-sumer to pro, I was astonished at the difference quality conversion made. One aspect of the improvement was moving to a lower-jitter higher-accuracy clock in the newer converter.

So basically I'm concerned about introducing an unknown into my production chain. But I can see other practical uses in non-mission critical settings.

It's true that it's only $100, but so is decent evening out with my wife. At least I know for sure what I'd be getting out of that...

BTW: do you know if the box of the "B" model can be easily removed? Is it glued or screwed together?
Old 25th May 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I had some discussion on the DIYAudio forums about USBStreamer's jitter and got some hard data on this page, at post #59.

At 2.7ns typical jitter, my conclusion is that it's well in industry standards especially if you're using an ADAT receiver that will correct for jitter deficiencies, although that jitter measurement was done in SPDIF mode and ADAT is likely slightly worse.

JensH is using it in a more audiophile setting where DAC's don't necessarily perform the same quality correction or any correction at all compared to some of the more industrial gear we see around here.

Based on this, I'll be joining the club shortly... A big thanks to JensH @DIYAudio for providing some hard data.
Old 25th May 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
i'm not sure but this might be a viable add on, if you want a kind of distributed optical ADAT network.

Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter?Digital snake system ADAT Multicore Extender Appsys ProAudio ADX-32B | eBay

or just using singles

Does anyone make an ADAT to USB converter?ADAT/TOSLINK Extender Appsys ProAudio ADX-8 | eBay
πŸ“ Reply