Quantcast
So... No new DAW controller at NAMM... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So... No new DAW controller at NAMM...
Old 24th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
POST HERE: Any releases of new DAW Mixers or Controllers

Please post any findings of new DAW mixers/controllers. One of these days someone is bound to come out with one that fits my bill. But I'm not going to limit or influence this thread with my desired specifications, so post any and all findings...even if they only have 8 faders, or $2000 worth of unnecessary preamps. .
Old 24th January 2013
Manufacturer contact @ GS

🎧 10 years
But please post any new products in their own thread first!

Thanks,
Graham
Old 25th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Any new controllers at NAMM?

Hi,

Im looking for a controller to buy and got my eyes on the Avid artist series atm. But first i wanted to check if some new cool controllers comes out this NAMM or not.

Any one heared about any new cool controller?
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
check out the Kawai VPC1 on this forum.

Wave1
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Everything at NAMM is a midi controller
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gotta be honest... I've not come across a more complete controller since the MCU for Logic. It's deeper than most care to go.
I'm a big proponent for the new touch interfaces, however, they don't have nay feel etc. ie If you slip side ways, you might not even be controlling the parameter.
Old 25th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sweetwater has something in their NAMM pages about a Core-MIDI-compliant, iPad-powered Novation "Launchpad S."

Nothing else on the internet exists about this.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So... No new DAW controller at NAMM...

A good, affordable, 16 channels daw controller, with motorized faders... Transport control,
Compatible with all daw...
No pres, no USB audio,
Nothing like that at NAMM?
Nothing like that in WORLDWIDE?
Old 29th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerododo ➑️
A good, affordable, 16 channels daw controller, with motorized faders... Transport control,
Compatible with all daw...
No pres, no USB audio,
Nothing like that at NAMM?
Nothing like that in WORLDWIDE?
Avid has a new one coming, I heard it was going to be at namm - I guess they meant next namm.. Lol. Maybe the one after... Lol .... Maybe that are saving it till they release pt11... Some time late 2014 etc?... don't hold yer breath little one
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Lol!

Avid will be one of my last choices, because they are usually too much "Pt oriented", but I use Reaper, so I need the old good hui protocol...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
ICON-Global-Qcon Pro

Don't know why these things haven't caught on yet!

I've had the standard model (which the pro replaced) in my project studio for 1.5 years with no issues. Built like an aluminum tank and cheap as chips for what it is. Works off mackie control protocol, the daw sees it as an Mackie MCU Pro so theres no issues at all software wise either.

Its even modular with an expandable 8 preamp usb 2 interface that fits into the top of the unit!

musicstore de is where I purchased it. Great shipping prices and offer a 3 year international warranty.

ICON - Q-Con Pro 8 Kanal DAW Controller : MIDI controllers

Truly a no-brainer!
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bulbus ➑️
ICON-Global-Qcon Pro

I've had the standard model (which the pro replaced) in my project studio for 1.5 years with no issues. Built like an aluminum tank and cheap as chips for what it is. Works off mackie control protocol, the daw sees it as an Mackie MCU Pro so theres no issues at all software wise either.

Its even modular with an expandable 8 preamp usb 2 interface that fits into the top of the unit!

musicstore de is where I purchased it. Great shipping prices and offer a 3 year international warranty.

Truly a no-brainer!
Looks nice, but a reviewer at Thomann says that there are issues with the HUI implementation and the support. Can you confirm this? I'm looking to downsize a bit and replace my ProControl, so this could come in handy, but I definitely need every button working.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry to say I don't know as I have the older model without HUI :(

I strictly work in Logic now except for my Eleven Rack gui (which i need Protools open for because of no STANDALONE app ARGGHH!). Im so out of the update game. 64 bit is a necessity for me now!

Out of interest, what kind of errors was this reviewer facing?
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Can't you just upgrade the firmware? The reviewer noted that some buttons didn't work with Pro Tools and the main fader wasn't recognized, but if I remember correctly that's a HUI issue, could therefore just as well be the reviewer's misinformation.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunland records ➑️
The reviewer noted that some buttons didn't work with Pro Tools and the main fader wasn't recognized, but if I remember correctly that's a HUI issue, could therefore just as well be the reviewer's misinformation.
Yea, I run PT10 with an old Tascam US24000 controller under HUI and the main fader is not recognized as well. Pretty sure its a HUI thing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunland records ➑️
Can't you just upgrade the firmware? The reviewer noted that some buttons didn't work with Pro Tools and the main fader wasn't recognized, but if I remember correctly that's a HUI issue, could therefore just as well be the reviewer's misinformation.
It is a pro tools thing. Pro Tools Main(Master Fader) is optional(Meaning you have to create a master fader. It can live anywhere in the mixer with the regular channels like audio, midi, aux, vca, instruments. Other DAWS normally keeps this master fader to the left at all times and it is always there. Also this is unique to Pro Tools because you can have more than one Master Fader where in other DAWs there is only one.

So any HUI device running with Pro Tools will never use the master fader. I hope this clears things up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
ICON-Global-Qcon Pro

Truly a no-brainer!
To me it looks cheap, half-finished and basically, pretty ugly. I think that's why.
Old 30th January 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beatsmith ➑️
To me it looks cheap, half-finished and basically, pretty ugly. I think that's why.
It IS cheap. But its solid aluminium with silent "soft-keys" and touch sensitive faders! It looks much better in person or in "real" photos. Its much better in build quality than the Mackie and I dare say the Euphonix/Avid offerings (which I have used).

I have had nothing but complements on the looks of the unit and absolute astoundment when I reveal the price point.

Motorized daw controllers are severely overpriced for what they are and I think this one hits the mark on all areas. Each to their own I suppose. At least I'm not missing out on flexibility and workflow...
Attached Thumbnails
So... No new DAW controller at NAMM...-setup.jpg  
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear
I'd like a Control 24 without the preamps or anything...a 24 channel controller with 5.1 capabilities. That would be cool.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mani1147 ➑️
Yea, I run PT10 with an old Tascam US24000 controller under HUI and the main fader is not recognized as well. Pretty sure its a HUI thing.
I've been trying to get one of those for ages.

That Icon mentioned is nice but it's still way out of my price range.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This will be the best DAW controller. Why? Because it IS your DAW!

Lenovo announces the ThinkVision LT1423p, a mobile touchscreen monitor with pen support (video)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodnb ➑️
I've been trying to get one of those for ages.

That Icon mentioned is nice but it's still way out of my price range.
ICON-Global-iControls Pro

Or theirs the qcon lite.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtweaker ➑️
This will be the best DAW controller. Why? Because it IS your DAW!

Lenovo announces the ThinkVision LT1423p, a mobile touchscreen monitor with pen support (video)
...and at the 3hr mark of a 12hr session your arms will feel like you've been lifting paint cans.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
It looks great!

Just one question though - can I use it both for faders and for writing midi CC data? Is there an editor available so i can assign CC controlers to the faders?

Quote:
ICON-Global-Qcon Pro

Truly a no-brainer!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartosz Idzi ➑️
It looks great!

Just one question though - can I use it both for faders and for writing midi CC data? Is there an editor available so i can assign CC controlers to the faders?
I have had the qcon pro since it came out and am now looking into getting an extender unit. The build quality is exceptional for the price, the faders are quiet and responsive, the whole thing hasn't missed a beat. Although it does have some minor flaws in functionality when it comes to Pro Tools. There is a flip button for the faders so that you can use them for changing plugin parameters, although I'm not too sure if they can be independently assigned.

If your interested in buying one this thread may be useful to you: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...-any-good.html
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do ➑️
...and at the 3hr mark of a 12hr session your arms will feel like you've been lifting paint cans.
Yea maybe if you didn't use the built in Kickstand.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerododo ➑️
Lol!

Avid will be one of my last choices, because they are usually too much "Pt oriented", but I use Reaper, so I need the old good hui protocol...
Well, since I don't think Reaper support the MCU extenders (more than 8 MCU faders) I wouldn't hold my breath.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtweaker ➑️
Yea maybe if you didn't use the built in Kickstand.
Been there, done that with the touchscreens. Even with the kickstand trying to ride faders, set plugins, and do complex automation moves is excruciating after a few hours. No way to keep it up for 12hr days 5 days a week.

Slate has more of the correct angle but if you cannot rest your wrists or forearms like we do on consoles and hardware controllers like Icon...
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan ➑️
I'd like a Control 24 without the preamps or anything...a 24 channel controller with 5.1 capabilities. That would be cool.
I've often wondered how much cheaper a C|24 would actually be without the pres... and my conclusion is, probably not a lot.
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nektar introduced the P1

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/winte...ontroller.html

But 45 mm non flying faders probably kills it.

I am using an Alesis Mastercontrol which works rather well other than 1) it's pretty much abandoned, but works fine with Windows 7, 2) needs firewire, 3) is also an interface and monitor controller, and MIDI interface (I don't use these functions)

MasterControl Complete Studio Interface and Control System
πŸ“ Reply