Quantcast
Itunes 11 : deletes folders of .wav files, read on - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Itunes 11 : deletes folders of .wav files, read on
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Itunes 11 : deletes folders of .wav files, read on

I witnessed Itunes 11 open and show me that all 1411 files are missing from the media/ music folder and lo and behold have been deleted from the hard drive completely. Win 7

All of the engineers' previous mixes ripped to wav and thrown into Itunes for playback were WIPED CLEAN BY ITUNES 11.

Folks, check your drives and get back to us on if this has happened to you or not.

PS: .wav files in folders for PT and Sonar are intact on same drive.

Win 7/64 Pro + Itunes 11/64 current 11.01.12 for Win.

All full Rez legit CDs are missing - all Wavs from sessions are missing and the backups are OK on the backup drive thank the lord.
We need to know if this is an Apple Itunes agreement issue or a fluke or WTF.

We need a real gut check on this folks as this could wipe out mixes from indie studios across the continent.

Report back soon and good luck on this.

EOE
Old 29th January 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Just Google "Itunes deleted my music" ... it's common.

Apple have lost it.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well, if its common it is NOT reported in the real world outside of GS in a constructive actual and informative way by a user with proper street cred.

I will get this out of the way: if you are an Apple Fanboy readng this and you suggest I buy a Mac to avoid these hassles.. where is my example of a good working product?

My Iphone 5 on Verison has wifi issues and they are Apples hardware (says Verizon) -better bring Jobs back in as things are gettin dicey.

Love U
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not sure what you're talking about. It's working fine on both my Mac and PC. All my wave files are still there.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Just sayin you best back it up my friend - it looks good until you PLAY the file and its missing ......... :(
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Check your Itunes version and report its actual VS# when replying.
Please dont imply that this is not serious and an isolated case.
This is a breaking news event so back up your drives and watch the F out for Itunes 11 it permanently deleted critical files once and will do so again if users are not warned then tears will roll.

Itunes thieving my mixes off my drive is dead serious.

BTW it deleted the 48k versions of new mixes as well, be warned -

NOTE: everything mp3 is still intact on the drive (it seems).

Be careful out there.

EOE
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Apple seem to have lost the plot since Jobs died. My dad updated my itunes to the new one and it's awful, and worst of all you can't go back without completely reimporting your whole library. It's extra annoying as I use iTunes to sort the music I use to DJ. Steve Jobs would have never approved such a clunky user un-friendly product. Same deal with the apple maps fiasco. It's a real shame as where do you go to get good products now?

PS. Don't let your dad near your computer!
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
So that's where my WAV music collection went.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Resonant: please tell us what happened to your wavs and when.

Last edited by End Over End; 29th January 2013 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Let's hear about the results of a virus and malware scan with the latest tools - you can get some legit free ones at the very handy Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once.

What else was recently being done on the system? Perhaps something else happened, and you noticed after iTunes was installed.

To prove your situation, you need to uninstall iTunes, set up some folders of .WAV files, and reinstall iTunes. What happens?

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just trying to be helpful.

I know of a product from years ago that had a defective installer, and if certain characters were in your hard drive's name when you ran it, the entire drive was erased. Yikes.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Disable the two options iTunes has for managing your media under Preferences on the Advanced tab (hit ALT to get the menu up and go to Edit>Preferences).

Uncheck "Keep itunes Media folder organized" which makes a complete mess out of anything, and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"

Oh, and don't use iTunes as your default player anyway, that's idiotic even on OSX let alone Win7. Try Foobar2000, Winamp, VLC and a host of other FREE and quality options. Foobarr2000 tends to win for me for some time now when it comes to critical playback tasks, at least on Win7 (CogX nightly builds for OSX).
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…