Quantcast
Slate VCC Distorting - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate VCC Distorting
Old 30th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
That could have something to do with it. From what I can figure it seems to be happening on Nehalem machines. That's the only constant I've notice anyhow.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never had any problems with VCC except for the time warp issue: mixes come together much quicker than they should. Weirds me out.
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaiken ➑️
That could have something to do with it. From what I can figure it seems to be happening on Nehalem machines. That's the only constant I've notice anyhow.
I'm harpertown as well...narco?
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman ➑️
Yup. I get it in PT 9HD. Pain in the bum and its stopped me using it (as they can't reproduce it). Its usually a bass instrument that triggers it.
Yup. I can confirm the exact same behaviour in Logic and Cubase.
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorydom ➑️
Yup. I can confirm the exact same behaviour in Logic and Cubase.
Thanks for the post. What mac are you running?
Old 31st January 2013

🎧 10 years
Nehalim for me
Old 31st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm in PT HD 8 and while SSL emulations seems fine I had big problems with the Neve distorting at low levels when it first came out. I did bring it up on GS and found many had the same issue way back them (2 years ago).
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson ➑️
I'm in PT HD 8 and while SSL emulations seems fine I had big problems with the Neve distorting at low levels when it first came out. I did bring it up on GS and found many had the same issue way back them (2 years ago).
Thanks for the info. Which Mac are you using?
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Using it with Nehalem 8 core in 10.7.4 on Logic Pro 9.1.8 and no issue at all apart from VU metering not matching calibration. Working it out with Nathaniel though.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Which Mac are you using?
Mac G5 2.5gig PPC
OSX 10.5.8
PT HD 8.01

Obviously this was a beta version but Slate said it would be fixed in coming releases.But he also said he would make a release version for PPC so who knows.
Old 1st February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure if it's the exact same issue offhand, but I got distortion out of it the other day using the API console. Switched to the Trident, it was still there. I ended up backing my levels way off and it went away.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the post. What mac are you running?
This happens on Mac and PC. So cross-platform.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by markham ➑️
Not sure if it's the exact same issue offhand, but I got distortion out of it the other day using the API console. Switched to the Trident, it was still there. I ended up backing my levels way off and it went away.
Thanks but I don't think it's the same issue. I experimented with all sorts of levels and nothing made a difference.
Old 4th February 2013
Nev
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
wow I thought it was just me.
Old 4th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev ➑️
wow I thought it was just me.
Because the issue is taking so long to fix I thought it was just me as well. Maybe if enough people speak up they'll hopefully do something about it.
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm sure they would fix it if they could replicate it.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber ➑️
I'm sure they would fix it if they could replicate it.
Yes I would hope so. The strange thing is that Steven hasn't even heard of the problem until this thread and there have been at least 2 support tickets sent to them on this problem dating back to a year or more ago.

I'm trying to get as many people to post about it here to help maybe narrow down the variables like which operating system, which computer etc.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wont work Chris sorry. I gave up on Slate a while back very dishonest and his word aint worth anything.
He has heard about it if you dig up old threads quite a few people commented on it and he responded. The man is a trail of broken promises.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson ➑️
Wont work Chris sorry. I gave up on Slate a while back very dishonest and his word aint worth anything.
He has heard about it if you dig up old threads quite a few people commented on it and he responded. The man is a trail of broken promises.
Yeah I'm not that impressed with the initial lack of interest in my problem as well. It's only when I put it on a public forum that I seem to get much "help". The "help" ends up as...

1. They now acknowledge the problem exists and it's their bug.

2. I have to just wait it out until they recode.

Normally this wouldn't seem like such a big deal but the fact of the matter is that I sent them a support ticket on this a year ago so I'm a bit tired of the wait and the effort I've had to put in to get this far.

We'll see how long it is until I have an actual working plugin that I paid for right when it first came out.

Chris
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Hey Guys,

We have heard of this bug, and your support tickets have not gone unnoticed. This is one of the outstanding issues we need to fix with VCC, however, we won't be able to until it is ported to our new framework (which we have spent the past 6 months perfecting).

The problem with this particular bug, as many of you have noted, is that we are having a very difficult time reproducing it. Our support staff, development team, and myself included, have spent many weeks trying to reproduce and isolate the cause of the issue.

At first, it seemed only an issue with PT HD systems, but then, reports of it occurring on Logic and Cubase systems came in... We then thought it had to do with the source audio, perhaps a DC Offset related issue, so we requested audio material that was triggering this bug, and still couldn't reproduce it on our end. It does seem that it's system specific, and perhaps could be processor/ hardware related.

The good news is that we will be porting the VCC to this new framework, which will allow us to debug issues like this much more efficiently. We sincerely appreciate your patience with and share in the frustration this bug has caused, but we can guarantee you that it WILL be addressed and fixed in the next update.

I know some of you have been added to our beta team for the VCC, but if there is anyone else that would like to participate, please email me your full name, email, system info, and iLok user ID, and I'll add you to the team. The more people with this specific issue testing the next version, the better we'll be able to squash this bug entirely.

Thank you again, for your patience and understanding. Please feel free to email me if you have any other questions!

All the best,

Anthony Taglianetti
Technical Director
Slate Digital
[email protected]
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the reply. If you're 6 months in to perfecting the new frame work I suppose we can see that update sooner than later? I'd be happy to beta the new plugins if you like...email sent.

The first place I'd look when trouble shooting this is Nehalem machines.
Old 7th February 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

🎧 10 years
This new framework that we will port all of our plugins to, as well as produce all new plugins in, is extremely sophisticated and will even reduce the CPU without affecting the sound. It's gonna be simple to bug fix, and once a bug is fixed in the framework, the same bug will be fixed for all other plugins. It's gonna kick ass.

We're current working on the migration as I write this.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. If you're 6 months in to perfecting the new frame work I suppose we can see that update sooner than later? I'd be happy to beta the new plugins if you like...email sent.

The first place I'd look when trouble shooting this is Nehalem machines.
Hey Chris,

That's correct. The VBC will actually be the first of our plugins to be released in the new framework, VTM, VCC, and FG-X will follow. I have added a note to our issue log, to investigate this bug on a Nehalem machine.

If anyone has any other information that would aid in consistently reproducing this bug, please feel free to forward them directly to my email, [email protected].

Thanks again guys, trust that we will get this sorted for you

Best,

Anthony
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony SDTech ➑️
Hey Chris,

That's correct. The VBC will actually be the first of our plugins to be released in the new framework, VTM, VCC, and FG-X will follow.

Best,

Anthony
Thanks for the update, its good yo know what's going on. I know you probably thought your post would put me a bit more at ease but what you actually just said to me is that you're working on and releasing a new product before fixing my year and a half old problem. :(

I say it again. I paid full price for this (long ago) and it's not working. I kind think that deserves a bit of priority...call me crazy.

Chris
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for the update, its good yo know what's going on. I know you probably thought your post would put me a bit more at ease but what you actually just said to me is that you're working on and releasing a new product before fixing my year and a half old problem. :(

Chris
This isn't correct. We've been doing both. We've been making the framework which is needed to port all algorithms over. The VBC algorithms have been coded during this time. Since we don't have to port the VBC algos FROM a previous system, it is going to be much quicker to release compared to porting our other plugins over.

But everything has been done simultaneously.

I'm sorry, but this is the only answer folks. You want solutions, and this is the ONLY way to do it properly without adding band aids that don't work in all situations.

We're a young company, but we're passionate, and we care. I'm doing everything in my power to ensure the future of SD plugs is as rock solid as the sound quality that they offer.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
This thread just saved me from a potential headache. Best of luck to all parties.
Old 8th February 2013

🎧 10 years
I want to be clear on one thing: If all the VCC users who have had zero problems posted here, we'd have an additional 25,000 posts. Despite the fact that this does not help people who are having issues, and this is unfortunately, it is still the case.

We are being proactive, and working on something that will ensure a bright future for all past and future products.

Cheers,
Steven
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️
I want to be clear on one thing: If all the VCC users who have had zero problems posted here, we'd have an additional 25,000 posts. Despite the fact that this does not help people who are having issues, and this is unfortunately, it is still the case.

Cheers,
Steven
Hahaha, this sounds so "East West-ish".

Of course there are always people with no problems, we know that, but if there is even one with a problem, you should take it seriously.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd ➑️
Hahaha, this sounds so "East West-ish".

Of course there are always people with no problems, we know that, but if there is even one with a problem, you should take it seriously.
Hopefully about $250,000 spent in programming shows that we are most certainly, definitely, and conclusively taking this seriously.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate ➑️

We are being proactive, and working on something that will ensure a bright future for all past and future products.

Cheers,
Steven
I get it, I know that it works for a lot of people...I understand that completely. My point is that it's taking WAY to long to fix this for those of us that it doesn't work for and I'm VERY grumpy about it.

If you paid full money for a car that worked only in first gear and even then broke down and left you stranded regularly you probably wouldn't be too happy about it either. I think somehow with software some developers seem to think it's ok that their stuff is buggy and people can wait a year and half for it to be fixed. Well it's not...you didn't give this to me for free, I paid for it just like the people who bought the working versions.

The fact of the matter is that support tickets were sent over a year ago about this problem. You guys realized it wasn't the majority having the problems so because of that it's still not fixed. If it were 99% having these problems this would be fixed by now...sorry but that's a fact. It's not this way and I'm in the smaller percent so I have to wait...fine...but not this long. That's my beef.

Chris
πŸ“ Reply