Quantcast
32 bit Versus 64 bit - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
32 bit Versus 64 bit
Old 21st July 2013
Reviews Editor

FWIW, jBridge is better than other bridges out there but that doesn't make it good. It is just less buggy than the others - but still very buggy on its own.
Old 22nd July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj K 4 Yahweh ➡️
The best/most stable current set up for me, seems to be running a 64bit OS, with a 32bit DAW. There are just too many variables for me to move to 64bit DAW at the moment (64 bit max, 64 Bit Ableton, 64 Bit plugs), all of which are largely untested. And then after I've beta tested all their new 64 bit softwares, I'll only get negligable performance improvements anyway. I hope this article helps you make a more informed decision about whether you switch yet".
I did that for a while (32-bit Cubase and Live on 64-bit Win 7), but banged my head on the RAM limit for some of my Live 9 projects.

I ended up deciding to simply stop using any 32-bit only plugins and have gone 64-bit across the board. None of the 32-bit plugs were things I couldn't live without, and about half of them were freebies anyway.

I did some performance tests between 32-bit Live 9 and 64-bit Live 9 and found that while going 64-bit all the way did seem to reduce overall CPU utilization a little bit, it didn't affect Live's built-in CPU meter. 64-bit also consumed about 20% more RAM (although if you have more than 3GB available, you get to access all of it).

The only noticeable benefit (other than the fact that I can now load all of my projects, no matter how big they get) is that both Live 9 launch and project loading times were about 9% faster when I was running all 64-bit.
Old 23rd July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider ➡️
I did that for a while (32-bit Cubase and Live on 64-bit Win 7), but banged my head on the RAM limit for some of my Live 9 projects.

I ended up deciding to simply stop using any 32-bit only plugins and have gone 64-bit across the board. None of the 32-bit plugs were things I couldn't live without, and about half of them were freebies anyway.

I did some performance tests between 32-bit Live 9 and 64-bit Live 9 and found that while going 64-bit all the way did seem to reduce overall CPU utilization a little bit, it didn't affect Live's built-in CPU meter. 64-bit also consumed about 20% more RAM (although if you have more than 3GB available, you get to access all of it).

The only noticeable benefit (other than the fact that I can now load all of my projects, no matter how big they get) is that both Live 9 launch and project loading times were about 9% faster when I was running all 64-bit.
Hi, thanks for that info!

Have u tried this method below? from Sound on Sound, halfway down the page - 64-bit Computing: Should Musicians Move To A 64-bit OS?

64-bit Plug-in, 32-bit Host
It’s a little-known and rarely understood fact that jBridge also works backwards. Not only can it bridge 32-bit plug-ins into a 64-bit host, but it can bridge 64-bit plug-ins into a 32-bit host. It may not be immediately clear what this means but, for instance, Ableton Live, a 32-bit application on our 64-bit OS, could use jBridge to run the 64-bit version of Trilian. In our tests here, it matched the performance of 64-bit Cubase and Sonar by loading all eight instruments. But taking it further, this presents an alternative to trying to bridge all those Waves and UAD plug-ins into a 64-bit host so you can use the odd 64-bit instrument: instead, you could use the 32-bit plug-ins natively in a 32-bit host, and bridge the odd 64-bit instrument instead.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have u tried this method below? from Sound on Sound, halfway down the page - 64-bit Computing: Should Musicians Move To A 64-bit OS?
No. It's a clever workaround for the hard 4GB limitation on 32-bit processes in 64-bit Windows, but I just don't have a compelling reason to keep using 32-bit anything.

As much of a Gearslut as I am, I still try to keep things simple, and it was simpler for me to just ditch my remaining 32-bit-only plugs than to bother with ways to keep them on life support.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
No. It's a clever workaround for the hard 4GB limitation on 32-bit processes in 64-bit Windows, but I just don't have a compelling reason to keep using 32-bit anything.

As much of a Gearslut as I am, I still try to keep things simple, and it was simpler for me to just ditch my remaining 32-bit-only plugs than to bother with ways to keep them on life support.
Yeah I get what your saying.

Now that u have gone 64-bit across the board, how stable is everything in Live9 64bit?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah I get what your saying.

Now that u have gone 64-bit across the board, how stable is everything in Live9 64bit?
Rock solid. Ever since the 9.0.4 update I don't think I've had a single crash or unexpected behavior. And things do load a little faster, so that's nice.
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Rock solid. Ever since the 9.0.4 update I don't think I've had a single crash or unexpected behavior. And things do load a little faster, so that's nice.
Thats good to hear...thanks!

I have 32gb ram in my laptop & 64gb ram in my tower, if using 64bit everything in Live9 64bit, can it make use of all that ram?

Last edited by Dj K 4 Yahweh; 23rd July 2013 at 08:16 PM.. Reason: forgot to ask
Old 26th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix ➡️
Buy JBridge.

Install it. Open it, and follow the easy steps to convert your 32bit plugins (just the ones that dont have a 64bit version. more and more have 64bit veriosn now). pay attention to what folders you put what in. I have a 64bit plugin folder... and put the 64bit plugs and the jbridged plugs in there.
Seems this is windows only, any mac alternatives? Thanks!
📝 Reply