SSL Nucleus .....yay or nay??? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Nucleus .....yay or nay???
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
SSL Nucleus .....yay or nay???

Good evening gearslutters,

im currently saving for a mixing console/daw controller ive got my eyes on the ssl nucleus ive been mixing ITB on protools/ableton my main daw's and i want to venture out a little the ssl is expensive i just want some advice weather this is a good buy or are there better more feature rich consoles out there that are similar??

thanks in advance
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's an overpriced HUI, in my opinion. You'd do much better buying a dedicated summing rig, and some sort of control surface, than going with the Nucleus.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's not a console. Doesn't provide that functionality.

That said...it's a consolidated piece that gives two solid preamps, latency free (analog) cue mix for overdubs, a control surface, analog master section, and a small IO sound card. I think it's a unique and cool piece of kit.

And the only other control surface that will cost less is a MCU+Ext (which I use) that will set you back $2500'ish. Add two preamps at $1800. Add an SPL or Dangerous monitor controller...anyway--the deal is it's not overpriced if you need all that it offers. Problem (for them) is that most people aren't starting with nothing.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It depends on your needs. If you already own class A preamps, converters etc, then no, I don't recommend it. However...

As a nucleus owner I can tell you that it is a great piece of gear. I got rid of all my mediocre stuff and replaced them with just this one unit. I use all of its features; the preamps, the usb soundcard, the monitor section, and of course the MCU/HUI controller.

Great faders, great build quality (compared to Avid artist and Mackie) great pres, converters, analog section. Very pleased overall. I just can't go back to working with a mouse and keyboard. The fully customizable buttons for USB comands are a very useful, time-saving feature.

For me, an ITB producer/mixer, who records vocals and not much else in a small mixing suite, it's a perfect fit, for others, maybe not so much. as always, YMMV.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the reply ive just got a rme fireface as my interface and im not recording alot of live instruments i think i will try and test one out before buying it the only thing that is missing for me is analog summing will summing be a noticable difference i make house music by the way if thats any constalation thanks
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The nucleus doesn't do any summing...because its not a mixer...

If you're not recording real instruments, you have a much larger musical/sonic barrier than subtleties of analog summing or plug in versus hardware compressors...or whatever.

Just make music.
Old 29th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
yeah i do get your point however i love exploring different areas in music and this is a great place to get mega advice from great musicians/producers/sound designers etc i do make music and i love making music but you know when you want to keep making it sound better and better im just trying to create the best possible music i can create ive heard mixed reviews on summing and would like to try it one day but theres so many other things i want unfortunately i have to save money so only one piece of gear at a time .... :(
Old 9th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann ➑️
It's not a console. Doesn't provide that functionality.

That said...it's a consolidated piece that gives two solid preamps, latency free (analog) cue mix for overdubs, a control surface, analog master section, and a small IO sound card. I think it's a unique and cool piece of kit.

And the only other control surface that will cost less is a MCU+Ext (which I use) that will set you back $2500'ish. Add two preamps at $1800. Add an SPL or Dangerous monitor controller...anyway--the deal is it's not overpriced if you need all that it offers. Problem (for them) is that most people aren't starting with nothing.
You have no idea how much your words helped me! I lost my sleep over deciding to get a Nucleus or not. And I AM starting with nothing!!! So thanks for that line! Do you think that UAD Apollo Quad would work effectively with Nucleus?

By the way which of the following features about Nucleus annoys you the most? Could you rank them beginning with the most annoying feature?

1. Working with HUI protocol
2. Number of channels in front of you
3. No master fader
4. No talk-back mic
5. Other feature which I did not mention

Last edited by Salpion; 9th February 2013 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Adding an option
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I'm not bothered with any of those. See below on the master fader...

As an audio interface, there's no difference in an Apollo and anything...but, if you want to monitor/print plug ins, where there's a difference, you just forfeited the analog cue monitoring of the Nucleus--not a trivial thing.

If you're starting with nothing...why would you not use the built in soundcard (Nucleus)? Need more than overdub/single stereo insert IO?

I also do not know anything about the UA mixer's compatibility to MCU or HUI. Which is not to imply it doesnt--just that would be an important consideration if you want to use their digital monitoring and control it.

No master fader is silly. Why would you adjust the master fader? If you just said to fade the song...don't. Who fades the song in a 32bit digital environment? Given fader controllers' inclination to move themselves or accidentally be nudged, I applaud their not including one.

The fact that it has a single overdub monitor...means why talk back? If you're doing more...you need a bigger interface...and you can plug a TB into that. It wouldn't be a BAD inclusion...but, what would it feed? The analog path you're likely not using with a band in the studio? Or eat one of the 4 USB digital lines to feed the software mixer? It's kinda of a no win kind of situation.

Mackie's control protocols are the most supported out there. I'm not sure of anything that doesn't piggy back on them (except obviously the Cakewalk/Avid type proprietary one app connections)...and I know that anyone who DOES, will require app level integration (and ongoing support of it) to function. Do you really want to be beholden on your DAW upgrades to a company writing proprietary "per app" integrations for what it the center of your studio?

I own 24+1 channels of MCU...and have just the 16+1 hooked up. I have no interest in hooking the other up--I bought it as a backup for parts. I briefly had it hooked up to test it...and never once did I encounter a mixer view that needed more than 16 FADERS (32channels if stereo)...so, actually, yes-I think 16 is the sweet spot. I couldn't deal with 8...and when I had 24 hooked up 17-24 sat ununsed in every view. Mixer view in Cubase are important to this. If I had to scroll around the mixer left to right, I'd want 60+ faders...or 1. Literally. I'd rather use a CC121 with my left hand and mouse with the right than bank around a virtual mixer.
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For five grand, I've been waiting for SSL to at least update the midi functionality to two-way so that the hardware faders and software faders can really communicate.

There seems to still be a lot of room for improvement in the way the ssl knobs interact .. or rather "don't interact .. with positions of software knobs. And lack of using modifiers for say, Cubase/Nuendo.

I haven't seen ssl put out a software update for the Nucleus in over a year (I think), even though they know about the "suggestions".
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
For $5,000.... hell no.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle ➑️
For five grand, I've been waiting for SSL to at least update the midi functionality to two-way so that the hardware faders and software faders can really communicate.

There seems to still be a lot of room for improvement in the way the ssl knobs interact .. or rather "don't interact .. with positions of software knobs. And lack of using modifiers for say, Cubase/Nuendo.

I haven't seen ssl put out a software update for the Nucleus in over a year (I think), even though they know about the "suggestions".
I'll draw their attention to this..... I live next door!!
Old 15th April 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
did they fix the ethernet ,airport compatibility ?
Old 9th May 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy kiddo ➑️
did they fix the ethernet ,airport compatibility ?
AFAIK no, not yet.
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a Nucleus and use it daily with PT10. I really like it.
Old 21st June 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I love my Nucleus.

And forcing me off the internet to work is actually a good thing & I hope it doesn't get fixed.
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
any words on drivers latency under windows ?
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been back and forth for the last several years wanting a nucleus... not wanting one. I still feel that SSL missed the mark with it- too many shortcomings for too many dollars. I could still be tempted to get one one day when I perhaps run out of other things to buy for my studio, because it is one great-looking & well-built controller, but I still think that it is a shame that SSL could have done so much more with it IMO.
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm just trying to confirm a date with SSL to do a free Webinar / Q&A focusing on Nucleus, hopefully gonna be some time in August, so if anyone's got any specific questions, i'll put it to them then.
Old 22nd June 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Question :

1) work with sonar ? feedbacks ..?

2) Driver latency /round trip

3) any plan for a controller only with a monitor section more "pro"
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I am planning to get a Nucleus. Have had the Euphonix for the past few years. That platform struck me as toy-like so I have thrown in the towel there. Once I put my "hands" on a Nucleus, I was sold. Ah......that`s more like it. Built like a tank. SSL. Pro.

I don`t need talk-back nor am I concerned about mutiple monitors etc. Workflow is what matters along with quality and reliability. If I never have to deal with dropped connections (all the time) and Mac OS beach balls from the buggy Euphonix software, I`ll consider it worthwhile.

We`ll see, I`ll report back after some real-world use.

Cdlt,
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm curious about the Nucleus too. Any more users here? What do you like and dislike about the Nucleus?
Old 6th July 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Love my Nucleus
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
What do you guys of the Nucleus converters ? Compared to Lynx Aurora ?
Old 15th March 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro ➑️
What do you guys of the Nucleus converters ? Compared to Lynx Aurora ?
I can't comment on the Aurora comparison, but I think that everything on the Nucleus sounds very A+!
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➑️
I still feel that SSL missed the mark with it- too many shortcomings for too many dollars..
Yep, they missed the mark. I think they will come with the next version and it'll be killer! Never buy the 1st version of most things anyway cause the versions after the bugs are worked out will be way better! I'll wait it out thank you.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I LOVE my Nucleus
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I looked at the nucleus, but ended up with 2x artist mix and transport.
The nucleus should had been 1/3rd of it's price and no bundled Benchmark dac, mic pre's and Duende pligins
Old 31st July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➑️
I looked at the nucleus, but ended up with 2x artist mix and transport.
The nucleus should had been 1/3rd of it's price and no bundled Benchmark dac, mic pre's and Duende pligins
You're right about the price but I sold my Artist mix to buy a Nucleus and must admit, the Nucleus build quality is 200% better than the Avid
Old 13th August 2014
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'm strongly considering to buy a Nucleus, but wanted to throw out a few questions first.

When using the SSL with Ableton Live, let's say I have a Drum Rack loaded with 16 samples on channel 1 and I want to control volume/pan for each individual sound, will I be able to control each from the nucleus if I open up the top tab on the track (like I did in the picture below)?

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14716582350
πŸ“ Reply