Waveforms wrong when I have recorded guitar - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waveforms wrong when I have recorded guitar
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Waveforms wrong when I have recorded guitar

Hello,

Hope you can help me out. I record in Logic (using a MOTU Ultralite soundcard), but looking at the waveforms, I record (bass and guitar) too loud. It's driving me nuts.

In Logic I have the volume way below 0dB when I record. The waveforms look like big black blocks.

Is it because of Logic or the soundcard?

Please help!
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collier123 ➡️
Hello,

Hope you can help me out. I record in Logic (using a MOTU Ultralite soundcard), but looking at the waveforms, I record (bass and guitar) too loud. It's driving me nuts.

In Logic I have the volume way below 0dB when I record. The waveforms look like big black blocks.

Is it because of Logic or the soundcard?

Please help!
Your recording gain is set with your soundcard. Logic's volume only controls the volume after a signal has been recorded. So you are gonna wanna lower the input gain on your soundcard, or if it uses a mixer software program within that.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The waveforms look like big black blocks.
they look like blocks because the tops off all the waves have been chopped off at the same height- where they hit the red

the volume needs to be adjusted in the hardware. Either a knob or some kind of app that controls it.
Old 28th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hey guys, thanks for replying.

I think I know what's 'wrong'. In the arrange, at the bottom to the right, (to the left of the slider), I accidentally must have clicked the waveform, which makes all recorded waveforms at least 3 times as big as they really are.

The gain in my soundcard (audio interface) was set right.

Ferry
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
input gain is too high.
you would of seen it clipping on logic when you were recording.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey guys, thanks for replying.

I think I know what's 'wrong'. In the arrange, at the bottom to the right, (to the left of the slider), I accidentally must have clicked the waveform, which makes all recorded waveforms at least 3 times as big as they really are.

The gain in my soundcard (audio interface) was set right.

Ferry
This is what I was going to suggest. Digital Performer does the same thing and it's caught me off guard a few times.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…