Quantcast
Need Help Designing Protools rig - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need Help Designing Protools rig
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Need Help Designing Protools rig

I have $15K. $4,000 of it is going to be used to purchase a brand new Mac. I'd like to get into a higher end Protools rig. I for once would like to be able to run 30-64 tracks with plugins and not have the computer slow down. I was thinking about buying Protools 10 for $700 and then purchase a used Accel core card and 2 Accel cards. I'm looking for some advice and recommendations. Please advise
Old 27th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Protools 10 will not work with Accel cards. You need a copy of Protools 10HD. PT10HD does show up on Ebay occasionally for a decent price, but you cannot just buy it retail. You can only purchase PT10HD with Avid hardware, or purchase upgrades from 7, 8, 9HD to PT10HD from an authorized Avid dealer.
Old 27th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I see Joe. I have Protools 8LE. What would you reccomend?? I'm honestly just thinking I should get Protools Native and get more of a souped up Mac. I only track single vocals. 95% of my work is EDM so it's important that I don't run out of processing power.
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsharpent โžก๏ธ
I see Joe. I have Protools 8LE. What would you reccomend?? I'm honestly just thinking I should get Protools Native and get more of a souped up Mac. I only track single vocals. 95% of my work is EDM so it's important that I don't run out of processing power.
Do you need to work in a Mac? I do because I prefer the workflow, but till the new pro's come out you will be buying EOL machines.

I'm running a Core i7 ivy bridge hackintosh and my biggest project right now is 60 tracks and 16 busses and with VCC on every channel at 8x over sampling and things like Waves SSL channel strip and other really good plugins I'm not running into any issues.

I am running some powercore reverbs, because I like them and I have a liquidmix, but that's once more because I like the plugins sound, not because I need the DSP.

Still, I would love to have an HDX system up and running, but HD3 Accel isn't offering me something my Hackintosh can't do except, super low latency and "guaranteed" plugin counts. I've had enough DSP for a while now :-)
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
You could get a PTHD Thunderbolt Native Omni Bundle, which comes with PT10HD. They go for $4999, but can be found cheaper.

You could get a 3.4gHz quad i7 iMac for about $2500. As mentioned, the Pros are over priced and at EOL. Thunderbolt is the way to go. So you can be up and running with PT10HD Native Omni on a Mac for about $7500 give or take additional RAM and HDD space.

The Omni is probably suited for you because it will give you 2 channels w/ mic pres, plus 2 line ins, as well as 8 outs for cue mixes and monitor control.
Old 28th January 2013
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Mista, I most certainly will do a Mac Pro this go round although I have a private studio I sometimes take on a client. My sessions tend to be between 30-48 tracks on average. I've been working on an image to I have to mix the music first (I regularly use the SSL Strip by Waves on all of my music tracks, a drum reverb/ Synth Reverb & Delay) once I get the music mixed I record the drum mix to an audio track and the Synth/Keys/Bass to its on audio track. Then I make the individual music tracks Inactive. Then I mix the vocals . My vocal setup is Sony Oxford EQ> URS N Mix EQ> Waves 1176> Waves De-Esser> Waves Q10 EQ> BF1176> Waves L1

Then ill print each vocal track. I have to do it this way so I don't use up the processor
I hate this because every time I need to make a change I have to go back make the change and reprint

Here is my work:
platinumlabelent's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the worldโ€™s sounds
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mista, I most certainly will do a Mac Pro this go round although I have a private studio I sometimes take on a client. My sessions tend to be between 30-48 tracks on average. I've been working on an image to I have to mix the music first (I regularly use the SSL Strip by Waves on all of my music tracks, a drum reverb/ Synth Reverb & Delay) once I get the music mixed I record the drum mix to an audio track and the Synth/Keys/Bass to its on audio track. Then I make the individual music tracks Inactive. Then I mix the vocals . My vocal setup is Sony Oxford EQ> URS N Mix EQ> Waves 1176> Waves De-Esser> Waves Q10 EQ> BF1176> Waves L1

Then ill print each vocal track. I have to do it this way so I don't use up the processor
I hate this because every time I need to make a change I have to go back make the change and reprint

Here is my work:
platinumlabelent's sounds on SoundCloud - Hear the worldโ€™s sounds
Alright, if you get a 6-core or 12 core you should be fine. I mean, I was mixing in a 4 core multithreaded machine (8 threads) just fine till I upgraded to an ivybridge setup for less money than it costs to buy a Mac Mini (the Mac Pro was however not able to handle the same projects I'm doing now when I activate all the oversampling functions, also it wasn't my machine it was my former studio partners machine). I wanted to go Mac Pro, but it was out of my budget. So more power to you! A Mac Pro 6 core with an HD3 will rock and roll, but understand that once pro tools 11 comes out you will be left behind. HDX seems like a wiser investment, but there are other options like UAD if you require that external DSP.

Personally, I wish I had a full HD Accel so I can run crazy cool TDM plugins, but those cost more (do you have the licenses already purchase for those plugins as TDM or AAX-DSP?). An HD Native is also a good option, but for that price you could get an Apollo and have the best of both worlds. Just some ideas :-)
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
There is no reason to get the latest Mac to run and HD3 rig. If you're going to buy a used HD3, look for a turnkey system with an older Mac Pro included.
Old 30th January 2013
Lives for gear

So DS, what did you decide to go with?

Will it be HD3 or HDX or Native?

Cheers,
Min
Old 31st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Im reading your response, and Im thinking it would make a lot more sense to gto with the HDX. This would be my first Real HD BIG BOY RIG. Now I just need to Decide If Im going to go native or HDX. I just want to mkae sure I have more than enough processing power
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yes I agree, This is so confusing because I know theres a few Turnkey ACCEL Systems on Ebay. I can get a HD rig for like $7k
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
What do you think about Getting a 12 Core With NAtive??
Lives for gear

Quote:
What do you think about Getting a 12 Core With NAtive??
12 core with Native is going to KILL IT! I mean, amazing.... But it's pricey. If you can afford it go for it. Since you aren't recording bands, I don't see why you would need an HD rig since a 12 core is more than fast enough for any of your current needs.
๐Ÿ“ Reply