Quantcast
Drum VST: rock AND electronic! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum VST: rock AND electronic!
Old 27th January 2013
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Drum VST: rock AND electronic!

Hey guys,

I usually play drums on my electronic kit and then use some sample library to trigger sounds from MIDI. Standard stuff. For that, I've looked at Steven Slate Drums and I must say the sounds are nice, even though it's got a bit too much reverb for my taste.

The problem is that some of my music borders on electronic/dance and I'd like to be able to build grooves and have a nice sample library for those genres as well - looks like SSD doesn't have much in that regard.

Do you know of any drum VST that can do what I need it to do? Or should I go for two different VSTs?

Thanks!
Old 27th January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
MisterCrayle's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Try looking into Toontracks stuff. They have an Electronic kit.
Or a POP! kit. SSD is already a bit compressed and tweaked, so if you're looking
for dry samples that you can shape yourself, look into either Superior Drummer
or BFD 2 for the rock stuff.

Or if you want cheaper,
look into XLN Audio's Addictive Drums, they also have an expansion called
'Reel Machines' which has the infamous 808/909 kicks/snares, etc.
Old 27th January 2013
  #3
Gear Addict
 
MontyMakesMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
vengeance packs are good.
i like NI Moddern Drummer for "real" drums.
Old 27th January 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
JohnRick's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I say +1 on Mr Crayle here. I trigger my libraries via DTX900, and mostly use Superior Drummer, but for electronic kits (triggering electronic samples that is) you should try out Addictive Drums and their adpak Reel Machines.
Old 27th January 2013
  #5
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I thought a fair bit about this and realised the best prob is to grab BFD2 with the 8bit kit and also just put in your own electronic drum samples to the spare cells.

Slate Drums 4 GUI is pretty clunky. The toontracks do some electronic kits but they may not be to your taste...Additcitve Drums I have but it gives you a small amount of slots for sounds...

advantage of BFD is its interface is pretty decent and you can build your own kit with slots for electronic hits...
Old 27th January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
What about using Battery or Maschine to build your own kits using your own samples?

Another thought, if you get NI Komplete it comes with Battery and Studio Drummer, and between those two you are pretty well covered, not to mention you end up with Kontact.
Old 28th January 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Can't Slate drummer load samples? Why not load some synthetic drum sounds into it?
Old 28th January 2013
  #8
Here for the gear
 
Matthew Delano's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
I'm not a fan boy (ok, maybe a little) when it comes to SSD4. SSD4 does come with a full range of grooves and you can load your own samples into it, too. The samples SSD4's library ranges from electronica to country for drum samples, even the option of layering your own custom drum samples.

Toontrack''s drum software comes with a nice selection of grooves.

"Life's a garden. Dig it!" ~ Joe Dirt
Old 28th January 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie2k ➑️
Hey guys,

I usually play drums on my electronic kit and then use some sample library to trigger sounds from MIDI. Standard stuff. For that, I've looked at Steven Slate Drums and I must say the sounds are nice, even though it's got a bit too much reverb for my taste.

The problem is that some of my music borders on electronic/dance and I'd like to be able to build grooves and have a nice sample library for those genres as well - looks like SSD doesn't have much in that regard.

Do you know of any drum VST that can do what I need it to do? Or should I go for two different VSTs?

Thanks!
Just turn down the room channel to get a dryer sound

I like ssd, ni vintage drum range

Never liked bfd

Sent from my GT-I8190
Old 31st January 2013
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Wow thanks everyone for the replies.

So here's a quick price comparison for what I think are equivalents:

XLN AD + ReelMachines $150 (bundle)
Toontrack EZDrummer + EZX Electronic $255
SSD4 $199
FXpansion BFD2 + 8bitkit $240

I'm leaving out Komplete because it's not comparable to those 4.

In terms of what I get (samples, grooves, genres, etc.) it looks like AD is clearly ahead: EZD and BFD2 are $100 more expensive and SSD only has 1 electronic kit by default. I'm not into loading my own samples - the reason why I want to buy a product is exactly to avoid wasting time doint it myself :-)

What is your experience with those different interfaces? I did read other comments about SSD's being clunky and awkward to use. How about AD?

Thanks :-)
Old 31st January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I'd get Superior with the electronic EZX. It'll be easy to layer in electronic sounds with the acoustic kit. Then when you want to expand there are lots of options.
Old 31st January 2013
  #12
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
BFD2 craps all over SD when it comes to depth, 8 bit kit is amazing. In SD it takes about 3 minutes to get an X-Drum up and running, in BFD you just load it and it works instantly.

XLN is quite weak imo.
Old 1st February 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Addictive Drums has such great sample mangling tools built in, it's easy to get some really cool electro sounds even from the acoustic samples. A few of their presets demonstrate.
Old 1st February 2013 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
JohnRick's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie2k ➑️
Wow thanks everyone for the replies.

So here's a quick price comparison for what I think are equivalents:

XLN AD + ReelMachines $150 (bundle)
Toontrack EZDrummer + EZX Electronic $255
SSD4 $199
FXpansion BFD2 + 8bitkit $240

I'm leaving out Komplete because it's not comparable to those 4.

In terms of what I get (samples, grooves, genres, etc.) it looks like AD is clearly ahead: EZD and BFD2 are $100 more expensive and SSD only has 1 electronic kit by default. I'm not into loading my own samples - the reason why I want to buy a product is exactly to avoid wasting time doint it myself :-)

What is your experience with those different interfaces? I did read other comments about SSD's being clunky and awkward to use. How about AD?

Thanks :-)
Actually - AD will probably be the most user friendly GUI yet, so there's never any issues. In your case I would go with AD, if it's solely the electro samples you're after. I like AD, but I like Toontrack even better. But in this case...
Old 2nd February 2013
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
I might not have made myself clear, but I'm after both standard drums and electro sounds; AAMOF, I'll probably use standard drum sounds 60-80% of the time, but I'd still like to get a good range of sounds
Old 2nd February 2013 | Show parent
  #16
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie2k ➑️
I might not have made myself clear, but I'm after both standard drums and electro sounds; AAMOF, I'll probably use standard drum sounds 60-80% of the time, but I'd still like to get a good range of sounds
Can't go wrong with AD + Reelmachines. The Reelmachines samples are taken from five famous drum machines (808, Linn drums etc.). Using the included fx section they can be tweaked to your liking. The Patrick Siech presets and midi files for instance are Techno at its best!

One thing to keep in mind is that with AD Reelmachines you have to create the sound you're after all by yourself. There are no "Main Room House" presets, or "Dubstep" or what have you. Like you would find in dedicated sample packs from Vengeance, Sample Magic and so on. And you can't layer drums either, for example use 3 different kick samples to create that one fat kick you're after. Like you could by layering in the arrange window or by using drum samplers like Battery. Unless of course you use multiple instances of AD to play the same midi sequence.
Old 3rd February 2013
  #17
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
A couple of other questions to ask yourself....
1) Which product is easiest to set up for v-drums?
2) Which product's acoustic sounds are most appropriate for the music you play, as you may be using those most of the time?
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
A couple of other questions to ask yourself....
1) Which product is easiest to set up for v-drums?
2) Which product's acoustic sounds are most appropriate for the music you play, as you may be using those most of the time?
Question 1: good one, I only downloaded AD as a trial so I'll try that for now, and the others later - if they have trials :-) How about you? Which one(s) do you think is easier to set up?

Question 2: yes, I do intend to test the sounds they provide - I'm not much into the big verbose 80s sound :-)
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugelfunk ➑️
And you can't layer drums either, for example use 3 different kick samples to create that one fat kick you're after. Like you could by layering in the arrange window or by using drum samplers like Battery. Unless of course you use multiple instances of AD to play the same midi sequence.
Sh*t no layering? :-(

I'll to look into that for the other ones! Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #20
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie2k ➑️
Sh*t no layering? :-(

I'll to look into that for the other ones! Thanks for pointing this out.
Its the same with EZ Drummer. If you want more you may be better off with Battery or other drum samplers that model an MPC in the sense that you can group samples/pads. Or use AD together with a Battery style sampler, a technique that seems to be quite common nowadays in pop music where drums have to have more punch every year...
Old 3rd February 2013
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
The more I look into this, the more I think I'll buy Komplete 8 when I'm ready, i.e. not now :-) Until then, I'll just go by with free plugins or, if I get some free cash from God knows where, I'll buy AD as a "temporary" solution.

(I'm still wowed by Komplete - anything getting even close?).
Old 4th February 2013
  #22
Gear Guru
 
chrisso's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Do you need a bunch of synths, sampled pianos and guitar/bass rigs?
Old 4th February 2013
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Layering is pretty easy with Superior. Just add an X drum and use the midi learn to assign the drum pad to two or more samples.
Old 4th February 2013 | Show parent
  #24
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Do you need a bunch of synths, sampled pianos and guitar/bass rigs?
Yeah, and more: I've had to scratch flutes and strings in 2 songs because my samples sucked so bad. I'm into poppy-rocky-folky-prog (whatever that means) so the likelihood that I'll try some weird instrument combinations is fairly high.
Old 4th February 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Rufuss Sewell's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Anyone with a studio should have Komplete. It just has all the stuff you need when you didn't even know you needed it. And it's a bargain.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Addict
 
MontyMakesMusic's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell ➑️
Anyone with a studio should have Komplete. It just has all the stuff you need when you didn't even know you needed it. And it's a bargain.
Absolutely true. I've used it so much for so many different projects, paid and personal. Komplete is the best way to get the most for the least investment. I absolutely love their drums also. Native instruments is what WAVES wish they were.
Old 5th February 2013
  #27
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
Is Komplete's drum interface / MIDI usage on par with other software like SD or BFD?
Old 5th February 2013
  #28
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Depends. You get Battery and a few gigs of electronic drum samples with it. Should get you started. You get the Studio Drummer Kontakt library which I have mixed feelings about. It sounds good. Yet it's sucks up so much CPU I ended up not ever using it. No comparison with AD and EZ. You also get Abbey Roads 60ies drums (Kontakt too) which is supposedly pretty good if you need a little more old school sounding drums.
Old 5th February 2013
  #29
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 5 years
It sounds like from a VST standpoint, I'm better off with another tool than Komplete, am I right?
Old 5th February 2013
  #30
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Nothing is perfect. If you like all the extra sounds get Kontakt. If you just want drums get AD. If you want to layer electronic drums get a sample pack on top of it. And start making music
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 50 views: 45387
Avatar for Eat
Eat 15th March 2013
replies: 179 views: 44672
Avatar for vxt
vxt 11th February 2014
replies: 1156 views: 195835
Avatar for Al Yeska
Al Yeska 2nd December 2019
replies: 438 views: 24784
Avatar for dysamoria
dysamoria 13 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump