Quantcast
Drum VST: rock AND electronic! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Drum VST: rock AND electronic!
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In reality it's quite easy. You want both acoustic sounding and a bit of electronic kits, correct?

-Superior Drummer ar by far superior when it comes to acoutic sounding kits, tweakability and control in regards to bleed, mixer settings, combinations etc.
-Addictive drummer does not have layering, true, but the footprint on your HD is really low, and you get both really good sounding acoustic kits with the standard package, plus excellent electronic sounding pieces with the Reel Mahines adpak. Something that SD above doesn't have (yet, as far as I know).
- Kontakt kits - well..., Studio Drummer I love (only acoustics), as well as some of the Abbey Road series kits. Then theres Ocean Way Drummer and a few other Kontakt-controlled kits as well. Steven Slate Drums up to 3.5 were also in Kontakt. That said - even if Kontakt has a lot of knobs to map samples, it's a true bitch when it comes to simplicity and to figure everything out. Love the sounds in Studio drummer though.

So - best userfriendly GUI with electronic choices to add:AD, easy. Best control and tweakability, and yes, sounds: Superior Drummer. If Kontakt/Komplete: Studio Drummer och Abbey Road 70s. Acoustics that is.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Mmmmmm :-)

If I had loads of money and time lying around I'd do AD+ReelMachines and Komplete for the sound design. Lots of flexibility.

I downloaded the free demos from Komplete and wow, only from that I'd need hours to learn half of that stuff! Am I wrong or there's no strings in Komplete 8?

The only thing which worries me with Komplete is the CPU drag on my 4 yo PC with their VSTs. Anyone with experience there?
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I often use more than one instance of AD - not too much of a pain to do.

Having said that, I generally use Trigger for layering with AD, which is brilliant! use your own samples or the ones that come with trigger.

Like someone else mentioned AD has some great built-in plugins to get creative with sounds... great "electronica" presets you can use as starting points, and that's without Reel Machines Ad Pak
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I produce mainly rock-influenced electronic music, pretty beefy industrial stuff, and I'm loving SSD4. There aren't a TON of electronic-specific kit pieces, but I've gotten great results by picking a nice acoustic kit I like as the base, and dropping an SSD4 electro kick and snare onto it, layered with the original, but with the original kick/snare lowered in the mix. And then I generally do some parallel processing on the snare sound in particular to customize that sound. The processed snare with the acoustic snare bleeding into the overhead mics sounds great, to my ears.

Of course, you can load in your own external samples to layer in as well.

My only complaint is that I need to turn the Detail setting down to Low in order to get it to play back. Lame. I'm wondering if there's any way to change the Detail level back to high, just for bouncing to disk. But even at the lowered setting it sounds great.
Old 21st February 2013 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kugelfunk ➡️
The Patrick Siech presets and midi files for instance are Techno at its best!
Thanks a lot man, glad you like them
📝 Reply