Quantcast
Alesis DM10 and EZdrummer questions. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Alesis DM10 and EZdrummer questions.
Old 27th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Alesis DM10 and EZdrummer questions.

My guitar player and I recently decided we were going to try our hand at putting more effort into our self recordings. I started another thread a while back in the n00b forum if anybody wants to chime in I would still like some more opinions...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/newbi...me-advice.html

Anyway I'm here because I have a couple of more specific questions regarding using the Alesis DM10 and EZdrummer through Studio One. Just set everything up and used it all together for the first time yesterday and was actually able to get some stuff done as far as laying down drum tracks, but we ran into a few issues and I figured I'd try to pick you guys' brains a little here. Because we're still having a couple of issues we're trying to work through at the moment.

First, we seem to be getting some latency on the playback. If I mute the module and run the EZdrummer sounds into my headphones all the hits are like a nanosecond off, barely noticeable but it's just enough that it throws me off when trying to play with a click. If I mute everything out except for the click and just record by hitting the pads from memory and knowing which one I have set to trigger what sound in EZdrummer then it syncs up perfectly after I've recorded it and am playing back the audio to check and see if I need to clean anything up, so I know it's not a problem with the signal that is being input into the computer, it's the playback signal I get while I'm playing (if that makes any sense). Do you guys have any suggestions for this? We tried running it directly to the computer by just running it straight into the USB port too but Windows doesn't recognize the device (are there drivers for this thing anywhere?) and it doesn't get listed as a device in EZdrummer if we do it that way.

Another thing...

Alesis dm10 with ezdrummer - YouTube

How did he get his drums to react like that? I can tell by watching this guy play that they feel and respond like a real kit, but I'm having trouble replicating this. My guitar player has EZdrummer and we run it as a plug-in in Presonus Studio One. We're running the DM10 via midi into his Presonus Audio Box USB, running that signal into the computer, and using the DM10 as a midi device in EZdrummer. The computer has 4GB RAM.

For some reason I just can't seem to get my pads to trigger like the video, and I think that's a settings issue in the module probably. Possibly a tension issue on the heads too, they feel pretty loose and don't have much bounce but I'm kinda scared to really crank them down because I don't want to mess anything up (never had e-drums before, don't know what kind of punishment they can take). Plus I tightened the snare up a bit and it didn't really seem to make any difference in the bounce one way or another. I can't seem to find a happy medium with the crosstalk/sensitivity/etc... or something. If I set the sensitivity lower then I really have to smack the hell out of it and it will still miss hits when I'm playing if I don't hit it right in the perfect spot (and even still will miss hits no matter what if I'm playing fast, which all of our songs are), but the lower the sensitivity the more dynamic the sound seems to be in relation to the amount of pressure I'm putting on each hit. If I set the sensitivity higher then the problem with missed hits seems to go away, but if I try to do fast fills on the snare there are no dynamics to it like a real drum, it just sounds like robotic triggered ****. I don't necessarily mind this as much on the toms and the kick, but I really want to figure out how to get that life-like feeling out of the snare that the guy above (and several others I've seen) has according to what I can see in the video. Anybody got any suggestions?

Finally, I'm getting some crosstalk from my hi-hat when I hit the snare and I can't figure out what's going on there. Every time I hit the snare you can hear the hi-hats triggering faintly in the background. I turned off the rim triggers altogether on the kit and set the crosstalk on everything to zero also and it still won't go away. It's only the hi-hat triggering when I hit the snare; everything else is fine. Any ideas here?
📝 Reply