Quantcast
NAMM: Anything concerning Logic X? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Anything concerning Logic X?
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
  #151
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
The reality is that Redmatica was not a major purchase for Apple. It's not like they went out and bought Ableton or Cubase
Don't even say that!

I'm a Cubase user.
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
  #152
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️

They could also want it and use it for helping to improve Siri or to bring Siri to the Mac OS.
Since they acquired Redmatica in pretty much the same period as they had several ads in Europe and USA for new people to the Logic/Pro Audio team, it would be kind of strange if they hired a developer very familiar with Logic to do non-Logic related stuff, and hired others with no Logic related programming experience to do Logic coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
I know many people in the Video world who had loved and used Final Cut Pro for many many years, and built entire studios and spent massive money on it, only to have Apple change everything and make years of work and huge investments pretty much vanish.
The numbers which insist that FCP lost 3% of it's user base doesn't say anything about whether FCP now have more or fewer users than before, because they only say something about how many of the original users who left, not about how many users FCPX has gotten after the X update. Form what I've heard FCPX has gotten many new users since the X update.

I tried hard to like the old FCP version, with no success. Haven't tried the new version though, because I don't need it.

Here's what's going to happen if Logic 10 pops up with a very different user interface: Some people will like it, or even love it. Some will look for missing features, and some will stop using Logic.

Lots of people will post, here on GS, that they now consider StudioOne, Cubase or Live instead of Logic, and call those who like the new Logic for fanboys and evangelists. :-)

But if the new version really is better than Logic 9 (which is very, very likely), they'll get some new users too, and after some time, the same thing which now is happening with FCPX will happen with Logic: some of the users who left will come back when they realise that the 'new' Logic really is better than Logic 9.

All speculation, of course, because maybe the Logic 10 will look very similar to Logic 9 (but hopefully not as gray!), and that the changes are mainly under the hood.

New features may not be screaming for attention, but could be easy to find for those who need them. Remember: Logic 9 almost works as one of those 'slow release' protein (etc) supplements; many users still discover features Logic got in 2009, three and a half year after it's initial release.
Old 7th February 2013
  #153
Lives for gear
 
hogo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
As long as they free up the midi options in regards to plugins, I'm in.
Old 7th February 2013
  #154
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
You can't get any information from Apple about Logic 10 for the same exact reason that you can't get any information from Avid about Pro Tools 11: because they are publicly-traded companies.

I love how people with no knowledge of how a public corporation works paint these pictures of executives sitting behind closed doors rubbing their palms together as they conspire to torture and trick their consumers.
Old 7th February 2013
  #155
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nola111 ➑️
You can't get any information from Apple about Logic 10 for the same exact reason that you can't get any information from Avid about Pro Tools 11: because they are publicly-traded companies.

I love how people with no knowledge of how a public corporation works paint these pictures of executives sitting behind closed doors rubbing their palms together as they conspire to torture and trick their consumers.
that is 100% totally not true. Adobe is a publicly traded company and they regularly talk about new software, have public betas etc.

Microsoft talks about it's software sometimes years before release and offers public betas. Yet it is publicly traded.

perhaps since you know so much you should call the SEC in America and report these two huge companies for what you claim is a violation of the rules



Sent from my Casio sk20
Old 8th February 2013
  #156
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
that is 100% totally not true. Adobe is a publicly traded company and they regularly talk about new software, have public betas etc.

Microsoft talks about it's software sometimes years before release and offers public betas. Yet it is publicly traded.

perhaps since you know so much you should call the SEC in America and report these two huge companies for what you claim is a violation of the rules



Sent from my Casio sk20
Adobe doesn't make hardware so it really can't be compared with Apple and Microsoft is clinging to the edge of the toilet.
Old 8th February 2013
  #157
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher ➑️
Adobe doesn't make hardware so it really can't be compared with Apple and Microsoft is clinging to the edge of the toilet.
but they are both publicly traded companies, Microsoft makes hardware and software and talk openly about both months or years in advance.

the idea was put out there that Apple had to keep everyone in the dark due to the fact that they are publicly traded.

if anything public companies should be more open so it's shareholders can know what is going on. The rules and regulations for all public companies are the same it does not matter what they make or sell.



Sent from my phone
Old 8th February 2013
  #158
Lives for gear
 
steveswisher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
but they are both publicly traded companies, Microsoft makes hardware and software and talk openly about both months or years in advance.

the idea was put out there that Apple had to keep everyone in the dark due to the fact that they are publicly traded.

if anything public companies should be more open so it's shareholders can know what is going on. The rules and regulations for all public companies are the same it does not matter what they make or sell.
Fair points.
Old 8th February 2013 | Show parent
  #159
Lives for gear
 
TinderArts's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison ➑️
How does this explain them acquiring Redmatica's applications?

Apple-Acquired Redmatica Closes, Will End Product Support On June 12

Typically companies don't invest in products they've given up on.
Gibson sure has a history of buying companies just to let them die. Maybe Bain will buy Apple.
Old 10th February 2013
  #160
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Haven't read the entire multi-page thread, but I thought I'd pass along this info from another thread late last year, in which custom24 posted about hearing from Apple's Director of Music Apps who said that Apple was indeed working on the next version of Logic:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8500922-post28.html

Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
  #161
Lives for gear
 
Phaidon's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Oh...this email again...!
Old 10th February 2013
  #162
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Like I said I didn't go through all 150 posts to see if this 2 month old info was mentioned, but I'm sure that at least some people reading this thread didn't read that one.
Old 10th February 2013
  #163
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
Haven't read the entire multi-page thread, but I thought I'd pass along this info from another thread late last year, in which custom24 posted about hearing from Apple's Director of Music Apps who said that Apple was indeed working on the next version of Logic:
yep we know about it, and it says that the next version of Logic is going to be an "app" since the email came from the head of music "apps".

if anything this email just adds fuel to the fire that Apple has pretty much abandoned Logic.

I mean if they really we're on the verge of something why not say so,instead they say nothing other than "we are working on it".

yeah the check's in the mail also
Old 10th February 2013
  #164
Lives for gear
 
hogo's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Just FYI everything that runs on OS X is considered an "APP." Programs were a windows term. Although I hope ios integration is a priority. Ymmv.
Old 10th February 2013 | Show parent
  #165
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
yep we know about it, and it says that the next version of Logic is going to be an "app" since the email came from the head of music "apps". if anything this email just adds fuel to the fire that Apple has pretty much abandoned Logic.
"App" = application = software program. Logic 9 currently is an "app" and you buy it right now in the Mac App Store.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
  #166
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
"App" = application = software program. Logic 9 currently is an "app" and you buy it right now in the Mac App Store.
I am well aware of that, the App store did not exist before iOS that needed apps to run.

It's pretty clear that Apple is now mainly focused on all things iOS, which is my main point
Old 11th February 2013
  #167
Gear Addict
 
6 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Ya know what? I don't care what happens to Logic AS LONG AS I can more easily choose my MIDI sources SOON. A-la Ableton style where you can choose the interface and not just the channel EASILY
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
  #168
Lives for gear
 
skira's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
It's pretty clear that Apple is now mainly focused on all things iOS, which is my main point
It's more focused on the most profitable part of the company sure, but "mainly"? Not necessarily. Besides, I wasn't commenting on your (previously unstated) 'main point' but the strange and very disputable contention that someone in charge of music apps at Apple stating unambiguously that Apple is working on the new version of Logic somehow "adds fuel to the fire that Apple has pretty much abandoned Logic." 'Cause it doesn't.
Old 11th February 2013 | Show parent
  #169
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike ➑️
I am well aware of that, the App store did not exist before iOS that needed apps to run.

It's pretty clear that Apple is now mainly focused on all things iOS, which is my main point
App store is a business model and not something only related to IOS. All Apple software is now sold through an App store and that includes Mac OS X. It's just more cost effective. No boxes, DVD's or shipping fees. It's just a business model. Nothing else!!!
Old 22nd February 2013
  #170
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
It's absolutely always great to hear someone at Apple confirm they are working on a new version. However they can work another 10 years on one, in the mean time that does not really bring us anything.....Brings me to a point I will have to make some serious choices as I just don't trust the flex and other time/pitch related options in Logic 9 that much (besides the fact it is soooo slow). After working in the mean time more with Cubase 6.5 which I bought and lately with 7 at another studio I'm tempted to go down that route. I was holding out for Logic 10 as that would be my prefered option as I still love everything else in Logic. Just the time consuming and complication of the Audio handling when stretching and pitching is getting on my nerves when working with a lot of deadlines.

Still think Apple should let the Emagic boys run the show as Apple's way of managing the program is rather ****!
Old 25th February 2013
  #171
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
A company like Apple works on their own schedule/calendar, which is best for them and crappy for us. Good for stockholders, not so good for people who want issues that affect a fraction of a company's user base.

As a longtime Aperture user I've been pretty disappointed in where the work on the updates has gone. Too much social media and IOS integration at the expense of a better working program, though they've gotten it a bit more together in the last moderate update. I'm not doubtful that when they do announce the next Logic it will be an impressive program. I just don't have the needs for any features I don't have now. I doubt I would use any amazing new features. Only need it to work more efficiently. If it turns out to be mostly new bells and whistles rather than useful developments (like Aperture) it won't do enough to keep the next generation of DAW users in the fold.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 612260
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 30667
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 37612
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 2 weeks ago
replies: 1296 views: 178658
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump