Quantcast
NAMM: Anything concerning Logic X? - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM: Anything concerning Logic X?
Old 2nd February 2013
  #121
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Still on Logic 8 here.
PowerMac that has never seen the internet.
Runs like a boss.
Old 2nd February 2013
  #122
Lives for gear
 
Nu-tra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi ➑️
Apple is not allowed to sell Mac Pros in Europe starting March 1st becuase of EU safety regulations......
Wha?
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #123
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
From Macnews.com :
Quote:
Apple has issued a notice to European distributors indicating that it will halt sales of the Mac Pro in Europe and select other countries as of March 1 due to new regulatory requirements going into effect on that date, notes "MacRumors" (Mac Rumors: Apple Mac iOS Rumors and News You Care About).

The move will affect all European Union countries, as well as EU candidate countries and the four European Free Trade Association countries: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

Here's what Apple's note says: "As of March 1, 2013, Apple will no longer sell Mac Pro in EU, EU candidate and EFTA countries because these systems are not compliant with Amendment 1 of regulation IEC 60950-1, Second Edition which becomes effective on this date. Apple resellers can continue to sell any remaining inventory of Mac Pro after March 1.

Apple will take final orders for Mac Pro from resellers up until February 18th for shipment before March 1, 2013. Countries outside of the EU are not impacted and Mac Pro will continue to be available in those areas."
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #124
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon ➑️
I'm making a living out of this.
you think Linux is an option?! you cannot be serious...
about a third of the people I work with,are using Logic Pro.
What do you say to them?
what's up with the hobbyists around here lately?
I don't mind,really. But trying to pass their opinion like it's the standard,is plain pathetic.
I Like OSX better then any other operating system that is available right now but you come to a point were you lose faith in something and start looking for other possibilities. I haven't tried W8 or newer versions of Linux yet but some Pro's are using it and it gets their job done.

Now if we take a look at Apple's hardware right now tell me if that is really build for the "Pro"?

Example Desktop options:
- Mini (repairable) but does it have enough serious juice and features to get your job done?
- Mac Pro (outdated) its a nice desktop but not at that price point.
- iMac (not repairable) screen is glued to the body (previous model was not)

I would rather see an iMac that is thinker with 4 flash drives slots that can easily be replaced. Next step would be low noise vans, a Retina touchscreen display, upgradable graphics card slot, and a different foot so it can be placed flatter on the desk if needed.

Most of us would probably get one right?
Software developers would be all over it as well wouldn't they?
Then whats the reason why its not available?
Old 3rd February 2013
  #125
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Simply saying "yes, we are working on something" is not very reassuring. IMO, Apple is very stupid not to offer any minimal glimpse of a future direction, leaving users completely in the dark. Pros that have used Logic but now find it lacking in certain areas (eg. scoring features like DP, live features a la ableton, etc) like to know if its worth continuing investing their time, or whether they should jump ship. Apple, it isn't hard retaining your customers, but you have to stop pretending they don't exist.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #126
Gear Addict
 
creative69's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswitch ➑️
I Like OSX better then any other operating system that is available right now but you come to a point were you lose faith in something and start looking for other possibilities. I haven't tried W8 or newer versions of Linux yet but some Pro's are using it and it gets their job done.

Now if we take a look at Apple's hardware right now tell me if that is really build for the "Pro"?

Example Desktop options:
- Mini (repairable) but does it have enough serious juice and features to get your job done?
- Mac Pro (outdated) its a nice desktop but not at that price point.
- iMac (not repairable) screen is glued to the body (previous model was not)

I would rather see an iMac that is thinker with 4 flash drives slots that can easily be replaced. Next step would be low noise vans, a Retina touchscreen display, upgradable graphics card slot, and a different foot so it can be placed flatter on the desk if needed.

Most of us would probably get one right?
Software developers would be all over it as well wouldn't they?
Then whats the reason why its not available?
This post obviously has embedded trolls who work for MS and Linux!!!!!!
Your obviously kidding, yes a touch screen retina display is whats needed to make a Mac a Pro machine LOL!

I think youre getting "Pro's" mixed up with "Gearslutz's" I mean what defines a pro? On here it seems to be someone who has the latest everything! surely that would consume so much time in trying to get it all working and very little time making money, its all b.s and speculation! Yes more demanding plugins are released and you need a more powerful computer, thats the way marketing propaganda works and the PROfessional idiots fall for it.
How do you explain that many Industry Pro's still use Powermac G4's with Protools core setups!!!!?? Irony those people can afford what ever they want I personally know a few of those users.
So come on lets hear from some of these so called pro's who think a MacPro is outdated and has since switched to Linux or Windows.
I'm not saying they dont exist I just would like to hear their reasons for switching instead of a bunch of B.S from armchair critiques.

BTW. during my sessions booked for this week I will listen out to see if any of my clients would be happier if my 2006 MacPro had a touch screen.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #127
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmusichouse ➑️
Simply saying "yes, we are working on something" is not very reassuring. IMO, Apple is very stupid not to offer any minimal glimpse of a future direction, leaving users completely in the dark. Pros that have used Logic but now find it lacking in certain areas (eg. scoring features like DP, live features a la ableton, etc) like to know if its worth continuing investing their time, or whether they should jump ship. Apple, it isn't hard retaining your customers, but you have to stop pretending they don't exist.
Agreed. I don't trust Apple anymore for pro products. Left Logic for Studio One + Mixbus. Sometimes I use Reaper too. New iMacs are too expensive, not interesting, not repairable, MP are outdated. I could buy now a Mac mini + a Mac book pro but i'm not interested by iMacs anymore. A new (another...) ipad 128 go comes out this month, but we have zero informations about Logic, Mac pros since... months ? Years ?

Quote:
who think a MacPro is outdated
No thunderbolt. USB2 not USB3... everyone but applefanboys thinks MP are completely outdated.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #128
Gear Addict
 
creative69's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPascal ➑️
No thunderbolt. USB2 not USB3... everyone but applefanboys thinks MP are completely outdated.
If you think a MacPro is expensive you obviously haven't bought a Thunderbolt drive!
How can someone using an old Mac be a fanboy seems you would be the fanboy wishing to give Apple your money every 2 years.
Old 3rd February 2013
  #129
Lives for gear
 
Airon's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
The current MacPro models represents poor purchase value right now.

But that's supposed to change this year.

That said, Hackintosh projects are mature enough to use in professional environments for all but those who rely on external tech support only for every little thing.
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #130
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 ➑️
This post obviously has embedded trolls who work for MS and Linux!!!!!!
Your obviously kidding, yes a touch screen retina display is whats needed to make a Mac a Pro machine LOL!

I think youre getting "Pro's" mixed up with "Gearslutz's" I mean what defines a pro? On here it seems to be someone who has the latest everything! surely that would consume so much time in trying to get it all working and very little time making money, its all b.s and speculation! Yes more demanding plugins are released and you need a more powerful computer, thats the way marketing propaganda works and the PROfessional idiots fall for it.
How do you explain that many Industry Pro's still use Powermac G4's with Protools core setups!!!!?? Irony those people can afford what ever they want I personally know a few of those users.
So come on lets hear from some of these so called pro's who think a MacPro is outdated and has since switched to Linux or Windows.
I'm not saying they dont exist I just would like to hear their reasons for switching instead of a bunch of B.S from armchair critiques.

BTW. during my sessions booked for this week I will listen out to see if any of my clients would be happier if my 2006 MacPro had a touch screen.
So what are you saying? No push for new technology and buy a old Mac if you can find one.

I dont really care that much for plugins (can't beat analog yet), I would like to use the computer as little as possible. When I do I don't want to use a mouse, keyboard trackpad etc. Thats oldskool thinking. If you don't get that that fine stick with oldskool. Does Apple wan't to stay oldskool? I don't think so.

BTW I'm not saying touchscreen replaces every controller out there, I like real faders, knobs and sliders but drawing automation, pinch, zoom, cut/copy/past etc. is much easier on a touchscreen (when developed right of course)
Old 3rd February 2013
  #131
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
So, about Logic X...
Old 3rd February 2013
  #132
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Not here yet heh heh heh
Old 3rd February 2013 | Show parent
  #133
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative69 ➑️
If you think a MacPro is expensive you obviously haven't bought a Thunderbolt drive!
How can someone using an old Mac be a fanboy seems you would be the fanboy wishing to give Apple your money every 2 years.
Very expensive for outdated products.

Quote:
about Logic X..
nothing... as usual...
Quote:
But that's supposed to change this year.
supposed to... Let's wait now for new MP + LX or only for new Ipad (sad)
Old 4th February 2013
  #134
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Apple has clearly given up on Logic. It's just not profitable anymore. They're making billions of dollars with iPhones and iPads, something they are very good at and, from a business point of view, is way more attractive. In the end, all they care about is making money, as much of it as quickly as possible. I'm still working on Snow Leopard with Logic 9 and I'm happy doing so. I use a 2007 MacBook Pro which still gets the job done, even on larger projects (thank you freeze button). Still, I'd wish for some new useable stuff, but Apple is just not aimed at the pro market anymore, which I cannot deny makes me a little bit sad (but perhaps that's nostalgia as well heh)
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #135
Gear Nut
 
foge's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When u guys say apple has given up on logic.......

I am a hardened logic user and its great for me.
How many other daws are as stable As logic running in 64bit?
I ask Cause logic waves and native instruments is rock solid for me in 64 bit.
Are other daws this good?

Would be interested to hear.
Geoff
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #136
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Gotta love Logic.

The only product that actually never delivers anything at any NAMM show ever and yet it stays at the top of the NAMM 2013 thread for days.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #137
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
Apple has clearly given up on Logic. It's just not profitable anymore. They're making billions of dollars with iPhones and iPads, something they are very good at and, from a business point of view, is way more attractive. In the end, all they care about is making money, as much of it as quickly as possible. I'm still working on Snow Leopard with Logic 9 and I'm happy doing so. I use a 2007 MacBook Pro which still gets the job done, even on larger projects (thank you freeze button). Still, I'd wish for some new useable stuff, but Apple is just not aimed at the pro market anymore, which I cannot deny makes me a little bit sad (but perhaps that's nostalgia as well heh)
How does this explain them acquiring Redmatica's applications?

Apple-Acquired Redmatica Closes, Will End Product Support On June 12

Typically companies don't invest in products they've given up on.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #138
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison ➑️
How does this explain them acquiring Redmatica's applications?

Apple-Acquired Redmatica Closes, Will End Product Support On June 12

Typically companies don't invest in products they've given up on.
They're could be a million other reasons for them to acquire this company other than to implement similar stuff in Logic. I hope your right, though!
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #139
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
They're could be a million other reasons for them to acquire this company other than to implement similar stuff in Logic. I hope your right, though!
Not that many mate. The software Redmatica developed was mostly about Logic's EXS24 sampler. It's pretty safe to assume they bought it to integrate it with Logic and also move the team to Apple.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #140
Gear Head
 
pluginslut's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
yeah i heard Redmatica had excellent toilet cleaning staff and kitchen experts , who knows !
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #141
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Not that many mate. The software Redmatica developed was mostly about Logic's EXS24 sampler. It's pretty safe to assume they bought it to integrate it with Logic and also move the team to Apple.
But why Logic and not Garageband or some other audio related program? (or maybe just the patens who knows?)
I don't get it why everything Apple buys is immediately for Logic X.

I don't wanna start a rebel group but why not trow a partition at Apple demanding a road map or something? Everbody signs it and mails Apple separately. (Just an idea)

Some of you might say "Stop nagging.. if you dont like it leave!"
But most of us love Logic and want Apple to know about that.
Old 5th February 2013
  #142
Lives for gear
 
nativeaudio's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I don't get it why everything Apple buys is immediately for Logic X.
Redmatica isn't 'everything'. But Apple has had various ads for more people to their pro audio team/Logic team lately, and maybe they'll implement some of the Redmatica stuff into Logic 10. Or maybe they'll simply use his skills for other Logic related purposes.
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #143
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
Apple has clearly given up on Logic. It's just not profitable anymore. They're making billions of dollars with iPhones and iPads, something they are very good at and, from a business point of view, is way more attractive. In the end, all they care about is making money, as much of it as quickly as possible. I'm still working on Snow Leopard with Logic 9 and I'm happy doing so. I use a 2007 MacBook Pro which still gets the job done, even on larger projects (thank you freeze button). Still, I'd wish for some new useable stuff, but Apple is just not aimed at the pro market anymore, which I cannot deny makes me a little bit sad (but perhaps that's nostalgia as well heh)
I don't think they ever thought of making billions of off Logic when they purchased it. LOL. AFAIK they bought it for coreaudio and garageband and just to be in the game. This is the longest wait ever.I hope its worth it. Till then I complete productions between L9 and S1.
Oz
Old 5th February 2013 | Show parent
  #144
Deleted fe72b38
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence ➑️
Gotta love Logic.

The only product that actually never delivers anything at any NAMM show ever and yet it stays at the top of the NAMM 2013 thread for days.
Logic is a "national treasure" when it comes to DAW's .... nobody wants to see it vanish.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #145
Gear Addict
 
lowpassfilter's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Apple doomsayers Please stop clogging the apple discussion posts. Go buy a PC, get pro tools with its $600 yearly update, and be happy.

I believe Logic X will be very nice if FCP X and Redmatica are any indication of where it's going. Trim the fat, simplify the interface, and add some nice integrated features the other DAWs don't have.

With built in autosampling they'll advertise it as the DAW that'll replace all your hardware. I wonder if it'll auto sample VI plugins too...

Probably can count on Mainstage for iPad too so you can take your Logic patches with you for live use.
Old 6th February 2013 | Show parent
  #146
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpassfilter ➑️
get pro tools with its $600 yearly update.
Pro Tools has a yearly $600 update?
Old 6th February 2013
  #147
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'm not cloggin any discussion here, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm a happy Logic user since the Emagic days. And I'm still using it with much satisfaction on a daily basis. My entire studio is built around it. But that doesn't mean that I should just accept the lack of development regarding the program. Sure, it works fine, is very stable and nice to work with, but part of the expectations I have from a developer are aimed at improving the program on a regular basis. I think an upcoming Logic derivative for iOS is way more plausible than a substantial update for the OS version. I also think that the purchase of Redmatica might have to do with that iOS version. But still, I hope I'm very wrong about this! Peace heh
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
  #148
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison ➑️
How does this explain them acquiring Redmatica's applications?

Apple-Acquired Redmatica Closes, Will End Product Support On June 12

Typically companies don't invest in products they've given up on.
because a company with billions upon billions in the bank can buy a tiny tech company with a few interesting patents for a proverbial drop in the bucket. They can use back end sample management for a whole host of non "music creation" tasks and programs. Apple wants people to buy content from iTunes, and play that content on Apple hardware. If they can wrap that up even further with a few tricks from Redmatica and control a few more patents why wouldn't they? Remember this is the company that patented the rectangle with curved corners.

They could also want it and use it for helping to improve Siri or to bring Siri to the Mac OS.

Many large tech companies with lots of money in the bank often buy smaller companies just for the code and patents and have no immediate plans to do anything with them.

The reality is that Redmatica was not a major purchase for Apple. It's not like they went out and bought Ableton or Cubase
Old 7th February 2013 | Show parent
  #149
Lives for gear
 
grasspike's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 ➑️
I'm not cloggin any discussion here, I'm just stating my opinion. I'm a happy Logic user since the Emagic days. And I'm still using it with much satisfaction on a daily basis. My entire studio is built around it.
be very careful, I know many people in the Video world who had loved and used Final Cut Pro for many many years, and built entire studios and spent massive money on it, only to have Apple change everything and make years of work and huge investments pretty much vanish.

Makes it very hard when a client wants to pay you to rework something you did for them in the past and you can't, or you have to make do with old legacy gear and software that is not updated, or you have to start over from scratch.
Old 7th February 2013
  #150
Lives for gear
 
phas3d's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I doubt Redmatica had any patents worth the purchase. They were bought almost certainly because of their products and developer team.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 612260
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 30667
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 37612
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 2 weeks ago
replies: 1296 views: 178658
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump